Author Topic: Short Story Podcasts  (Read 35255 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: January 26, 2008, 11:06:06 PM
a collection of popular short story podcasts.
entries to the list will be added in batches since it resets voting.

current suggestions:

THE DUNESTEEF
Crimewav
SteamPod
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:21:28 PM by deflective »

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 04:20:30 PM
Classic Tales only gets a moderate recommendation from me. Some of the stories are dated, but most of them hold up pretty well and the production values are nice.

I can't quite make myself recommend Pseudopod. I SO much want to like it, but the quality of the stories selected are a touch uneven compared to the other sites. I'm also not a big fan of the intro line "I've got a story for you, and I promise it's true." That feels to me like a forced imitation of EscapePod's much better "It's story time." It reminded me of when Jay Leno used to walk onto the stage with a little air-guitar riff as his take on Johnny Carson's golf swing. In both case it made the newcomer feel like it was trying to copy the original but not quite succeeding.

I wonder if anyone else here listens to any of the others mentioned.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

eytanz

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 04:28:09 PM
I'm also not a big fan of the intro line "I've got a story for you, and I promise it's true." That feels to me like a forced imitation of EscapePod's much better "It's story time." It reminded me of when Jay Leno used to walk onto the stage with a little air-guitar riff as his take on Johnny Carson's golf swing. In both case it made the newcomer feel like it was trying to copy the original but not quite succeeding.

Heh. I always felt the opposite - that PP's intro line was better than EP's one. For EP, it's just a neutral introduction. For PP, it's extra value. Given the reaction last time PP tried to get rid of it, I think I'm not the only one that enjoys the line.

That said, I agree that PP's story quality is uneven, and averages at lower than EP. I think that's a reflection of the genre more than anything else - if you pick up a random horror anthology in a bookstore, the quality will likely be overall worse than that of a science fiction anthology. I still think it's worth recommending.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:18:20 AM
Wow, I didn't know Selected Shorts was doing a podcast!  I used to listen to that every week, but my schedule got to where it just wasn't happening, and at the time there was no way to timeshift the show.  Good to know!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:37:38 PM
I listen to EP and PP (obviously) and also Variant Frequencies and Drabblecast.  I think they all fluctuate and some episodes are better than others, but I still really like the majority of what I'm getting and recommend them to anyone who will listen.  However, I cannot think of a bad episode of This American Life that I've listened to.  That show is consistently amazing.  (I need to check out the TV show sometime.)

Does anyone listen to Well Told Tales or Decoder Ring Theater?  I've been meaning to give them a try but haven't yet. 

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:30:33 PM
I listen to EP and PP (obviously) and also Variant Frequencies and Drabblecast. 

I'm strictly EP but am looking to add some more short story fiction to my IPod.  Will do PP for sure.  I was wondering about Drabblecast, for some reason it isn't current on I-Tunes.  Does anyone know why this is?

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 07:38:12 PM
Does anyone listen to Well Told Tales or Decoder Ring Theater?  I've been meaning to give them a try but haven't yet. 

Decoder Ring Theater is great.  It's a loving poke at pulp radio dramas.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:07:26 PM

I'm strictly EP but am looking to add some more short story fiction to my IPod.  Will do PP for sure.  I was wondering about Drabblecast, for some reason it isn't current on I-Tunes.  Does anyone know why this is?

It should be on itunes...that's how I subscribed to it, at least.  DC is great -- the stuff before and after the story is usually as good as the stories themselves.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 03:27:26 AM

It should be on itunes...that's how I subscribed to it, at least.  DC is great -- the stuff before and after the story is usually as good as the stories themselves.

I just checked I-Tunes, the last episode listed is #36.  I'll have to go to the website for current content.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Russell Nash

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:51:26 AM

I just checked I-Tunes, the last episode listed is #36.  I'll have to go to the website for current content.

If you subscribe to the DC, you should get all of them.  If you don't want all, just set your preference to "Do Nothing" in "When new podcasts are available".  Then you can manually click on the episodes you want to download.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:46:45 PM

If you subscribe to the DC, you should get all of them.  If you don't want all, just set your preference to "Do Nothing" in "When new podcasts are available".  Then you can manually click on the episodes you want to download.

Good, I'll try that. Might as well load them all up at once and give it a run through.

eytanz

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 10:00:39 PM

Nope, iTunes won't offer 1-35 even if you subscribe.

goatkeeper

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:16:45 PM
I noticed this too- I'll check it out

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 01:38:35 AM
Of the listed, I still only listen to Escape Pod and Variant Frequencies (and only picked up on the latter about 3 months ago).  Hadn't even heard of most of the others until now. :-\

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 08:15:34 AM

Nope, iTunes won't offer 1-35 even if you subscribe.

I read Darwinist as saying he could only get 1-35 and now eytanz says he can't get 1-35 at all.  I only subscribed (through the iTunes link at the DC site) about three weeks ago and got it all.

[going to iTunes]
[/going to iTunes]

I just unsubscribed and then subscribed again through the iTunes store.  I got eps 1-50.  Whatever the glich, it seems to have passed.

eytanz

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 08:40:36 AM
I think Drawinist was also saying he couldn't get 1-35 (by "last episode is 36" I thought he meant "the last one on the iTunes list", which lists them in reverse order).

In any case, this was indeed fixed - 1-20 appeared on my iTunes this morning.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:00 AM
I think Drawinist was also saying he couldn't get 1-35 (by "last episode is 36" I thought he meant "the last one on the iTunes list", which lists them in reverse order).

In any case, this was indeed fixed - 1-20 appeared on my iTunes this morning.

Thanks, I'm rolling now - computer is downloading all episodes right now.  I've got a lot of work to do.

Bump In The @

• Extern
  • That Which Abides
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 06:28:14 AM
Being new to the whole Podcast thing, I'm actually surprised I have nearly half of the mentioned Podcasts in my Favorites (in my brand new Podcast folder!). Escape Pod and Pseudopod, of course, top my list, followed by Variant Frequencies and Well Told Tales. The Drabblecast is in there, but I have yet to listen to any of their stories. I'm assuming it's highly recommended, based on the people rushing off to iTunes for it.

Take your cautionary tales, and take your incremental gains, and all your sycophantic games... And throw 'em all away.
Burn your TV in your yard. Gather 'round it with your friends. Warm your hands upon the fire and start again.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 05:18:51 PM
You left out mine.  :(

goatkeeper

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 07:01:11 PM
What's yours nobilis?

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 11:43:06 PM
Nobilis Erotica is a weekly podcast of erotic short stories, serials, and excerpts.  You can find it at nobilis.libsyn.com.  The audio is not safe for work, but there are no images there that'll get you in trouble.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 04:16:01 AM
What's yours nobilis?
Nobilis Erotica.  I first heard a promo for it while listening to Variant Frequencies.  I listened to a few early episodes -- not really my cup of tea, but I did like the "Dreamland" series for its SFnal qualities.

[edit]
Weird.  I could swear I didn't see Nobilis' reply when I posted this just now.  :-\

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 08:42:42 PM

I'm through the first 8 and yeah, its great.   Norm Sherman's commentary is hilarious.  He sounds like a guy who would be fun to hang around with.   

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 01:13:21 AM
...not really my cup of tea, but I did like the "Dreamland" series for its SFnal qualities.

Wow, you liked Dreamland?

I was considering pulling it down because I thought it didn't reflect well on me anymore.  Just goes to show you...

Nobilis

• Peltast
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 01:15:23 AM
I need an RSS feed that offers mp3 files before I can subscribe to Drabblecast.  I don't have a device that'll play their file format.