Author Topic: PseudoPod 673: Venio  (Read 1890 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: November 05, 2019, 03:22:15 AM
PseudoPod 673: Venio

Author: Gemma Files
Narrator: Nika Harper
Host: Alex Hofelich

“Venio” was originally published in Vastarien, Spring 2019

Watch out.

I’m going to tell you about something, and then . . . you’ll know. You won’t be able to un-know or forget why you should want to. And even if you decide you don’t believe it now, you’ll still have thought about it long enough to make that call, so it’ll still be too late. Because now it knows you know, it’ll be able to find you. To home in on you.

Just like it did with me.

Sometimes, a door is enough, open or otherwise. Or an empty moment, an empty page.

An empty head.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Languorous Lass

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:36:38 PM
Just finished this one.  I’m not usually a fan of we-called-the-evil-to-us stories, but this one creeped me right out.  I think in part it was because I identified with Kris—the line about nearly kissing Leah out of habit when she woke Kris up.  Mostly, though, it was because this was a fresh variation on the concept, at least to me.  Nice work by Gemma Files.  I also thought Nika Harper did an effective job of reading / performing.

Thanks to Bdoomed for posting this thread so quickly!  I love being able to comment as soon as I finish a story. 

JDuckworth

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 05:46:14 PM
I'm not a fan of "and you too, dear reader" endings to horror stories since they just make me think of (bad) Creepypastas, but in the context of a story about a tulpa it makes sense.

canoehead

• Extern
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 02:23:40 AM
I think we need to hire that narrator again. She was incredible.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 02:34:19 AM

As mentioned in the intro, make sure to click through and listen to all the stories she's read for EA. Nika does excellent work. Link for your convenience: http://pseudopod.org/people/nika-harper/

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 03:43:07 AM
 :o :o :o
Hell's bells! Our protagonist was a living Ouija board! Or some kind of lightening rod. I liked the Toronto-centric flavour of the story... i always knew evil lurks North of Steeles (in the 905 district). 8)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Simberto

• Extern
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 12:35:49 PM

I am going to echo this. As you can see, i made an account just to give this feedback. I really enjoyed Nika Harpers narration here. She really nailed that general tone of barely suppressed panic, and managed to generally really get into the narrators character and, at least to me, added a lot to the story beyond what was in the words simply through her effective expression of Kris's sometimes conflicting emotions. What really got me into it was the part where she described Leah for the first time, that was amazing.