Author Topic: EP Review: Pan's Labyrinth  (Read 10842 times)

Russell Nash

Zathras

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 11:07:32 PM
Good review! I agree heartily.  I saw Pan's Labyrinth two days after seeing Children of Men so I'm ready for a nice, happy, little movie.  I also had to cover my eyes several times during the brutal torture scenes.  I thought some of it was over done but I guess that is the reality of war.   

I recently discovered Escape Pod and enjoy it immensely. 

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:27:25 PM
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was very good, and I thought the review was well-put.

Kudos all around!

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 06:11:31 PM
I've not seen Pan's Labyrinth, but I think Steve would also like del Toro's earlier film Cronos, which from the sounds of the review is similar in many aspects.  Cronos is great.

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 06:21:19 PM
I really didn't like Cronos that much...

My friend and I watched it when we found out he did Blade II (my favorite of the trilogy).

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 06:26:50 PM
As a vampire tale, Cronos is certainly very different from Blade 2. :)

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 06:49:16 PM
It was strange that I didn't like it, too, because usually I LOVE the whole mecha-magic thing - gearboxes and ancient mechanical devices and the like...

Yeah I am a big fan of steampunk, too.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 10:29:09 AM
This would be a great movie to bring the child of your neighbours who you really hate, but are forced to babysit ;-)
Other than that I liked the movie. It was a bit too much reality in the reality-fantasy mix, but that is just my personal preference. The actors were great (especially the girl) and it always amazes me what you can do with computer animation today. And the camerawork and lighting were really outstanding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 02:30:38 AM
a very good movie, very well done, exhilerating, fun, terrifying, and i woulda SWORN that the faun was a dirty old man who was planning on molesting that girl any second.  The look on his face was just creepy!

very good review of this movie too.  keep up the good work!

This would be a great movie to bring the child of your neighbours who you really hate, but are forced to babysit ;-)
haha.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 01:39:11 PM
This movie was really great.  Strong characters, a powerful setting, but most of all the portrayal of the hidden fantasy world was great.  It seems like all the monsters these days are 100% CGI, which just often feel disconnected and unreal beyond believability.  A well-made puppet pulls it off much more effectively (note I say WELL-MADE, I'm not talking Power Rangers foam rubber villains).  The faun's face, for instance, was very well made, seeming like it could be a real creature's face, yet disconcertingly different in shape from human faces.  But the scariest of all was the creature guarding the feast underground with the eyes on its hands.  *ugh* that one gives me the shivers.  Damn that thing is creepy!

Great movie!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:21:18 PM
Yep. Eyehand guy was just plain horrific.

I haven't seen the movie since it came out, feel the urge to watch it again now. Loved it. (though ol' Eyehandy traumatized me:P)

Maplesugar

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 06:57:34 PM
This movie was really great.  Strong characters, a powerful setting, but most of all the portrayal of the hidden fantasy world was great.  It seems like all the monsters these days are 100% CGI, which just often feel disconnected and unreal beyond believability.  A well-made puppet pulls it off much more effectively (note I say WELL-MADE, I'm not talking Power Rangers foam rubber villains).  The faun's face, for instance, was very well made, seeming like it could be a real creature's face, yet disconcertingly different in shape from human faces.  But the scariest of all was the creature guarding the feast underground with the eyes on its hands.  *ugh* that one gives me the shivers.  Damn that thing is creepy!

Great movie!

The Pale Man really disturbed me, too. Interesting note: Doug Jones, who played the Pale Man, also was Abe Sapien in Hellboy. 

I had seen Hellboy before Pan's Labyrinth, and I distinctly remember having a double-take moment when I saw the Pale Man's hands- the movement was very very familiar.  Doug Jones is so fluid, and fascinating to watch!  It's rumoured that he will have a role in The Hobbit.
(Which Peter Jackson will direct, <squee!>)