Author Topic: EP731: For Whatever We Lose  (Read 1553 times)

divs

on: May 09, 2020, 05:08:42 AM
Escape Pod 731: For Whatever We Lose

Author: Jennifer R. Donohue
Narrator: Amy H. Sturgis
Host: Phoebe Barton
Audio Producer: Adam Pracht

For Whatever We Lose was first published in 2019 in issue 37 of Luna Station Quarterly.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
This is the first in a special series of space-themed stories in May 2020.

I lied to meet an astronaut.

Or my dad did, which is the same thing. I was supposed to be at least eight years old to attend, and I was only six but the tallest in my class. So I got to meet the astronaut that August day, instead of going to the beach, or playing in somebody’s backyard and running barefoot to the ice cream truck when we heard its roving song.

He was the third man on the moon, and at home I still have the framed and autographed NASA black and white of him young and serious in his spacesuit. It used to be one of the pictures on his Wikipedia page, a piece of my memories there on the internet for everybody to see. It’s probably the same promo photo he used for years and years; I wonder how many other kids kept theirs. Thinking of it like that makes him seem still alive, like as long as all those pictures are out there, he can’t possibly be gone.

Listen to this week's EscapePod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

Languorous Lass

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 04:23:52 AM
But what were her two options?  Why does the story mention them without telling us what they are?  Is it supposed to tell us something about Suzanne that she gives up without hearing what the options are? 

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 09:50:49 PM
I really appreciated this story. It was a great stream of consciousness from a person coming to terms with their impending death.

But what were her two options?  Why does the story mention them without telling us what they are?  Is it supposed to tell us something about Suzanne that she gives up without hearing what the options are? 

This didn't really bother me, even though such details (or lack of them) usually really bugs me. I don't think that the options are important, because the point is coming to terms with the coming death, not trying to avoid it.