Author Topic: EP748: Flash Fiction Contest Winners 2020  (Read 1293 times)

divs

on: September 11, 2020, 09:17:26 PM
Escape Pod 748: Flash Fiction Contest Winners 2020

Authors: Drew Czernik, Rajiv Moté, Carol Scheina, and Hannah Whiteoak
Narrators: Katherine Inskip, S. Kay Nash, Tina Connolly, and Hollis Monroe
Host: M. Darusha Wehm
Audio Producer: Summer Brooks

Escape Pod 748: Flash Fiction Contest Winners 2020 is an Escape Pod original.

---

Our stories this week are the winners of the contest, as chosen by you: our listeners and readers. All four stories are Escape Pod originals. Out of 224 stories, the top four stories were:

“Butterfly” by Drew Czernik, narrated by Hollis Monroe
“In Roaring She Shall Rise” by Rajiv Moté, narrated by Katherine Inskip
“Death Poems of the Folded Ones” by Carol Scheina, narrated by S. Kay Nash
“The Day the Sun Went Out” by Hannah Whiteoak, narrated by Tina Connolly

Now, get ready to explore new worlds of space, time, and relationships, because it’s storytime.

Listen to this week's EscapePod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:26:59 PM by divs »

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 07:45:49 PM
Butterfly - Good use of a time travel story to explore concepts related to a deep, personal moral quandary. Nice.

In Roaring She Shall Rise - Not sure what actually happens here. Slice of life for octopuses who have taken over submerged cities?

Death Poems of the Folded Ones - I don't get this one. I don't understand how the folded ones actually speak by folding. And I don't understand what the child adds here. Sure, they supply an idea for interpretation, but without any rationale or anything to back up this idea, that's all it is. What am I not getting here? Is this just a story about family, and the mother/son relationship is the main point, with the folding aliens just a backdrop? Either way, this did not work for me.

The Day the Sun Went Out - This one is downright depressing. I'm not sure if the family is now going to have to abandon their habitat and go back to Earth, or just wait to die. From the mother's depression, it sounds like die is the only option. Again, downright depressing.... Clearly it's a good story, since it seems to have affected me so strongly. But I do not like it. :(