Author Topic: PseudoPod 724: Flash on the Borderlands LIII: What Dreams May Come  (Read 864 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 724: Flash on the Borderlands LIII: What Dreams May Come

Authors: Lyndsie Manusos, Eugenia Triantafyllou, and Sarah Read
Narrators: Omega Francis, Carly Bergey, and Madeline Ruth Somerville
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Marty Perrett

PseudoPod 724: Flash on the Borderlands LIII: What Dreams May Come is a PseudoPod original.

Show Notes

“The Funeral Coat” is a PseudoPod original.
“Cherry Wood Coffin” first appeared in Apex on May 29, 2018“
Grave Mother” was first published in Vine Leaves Literary Journal and The Best of Vine Leaves Literary Journal, 2014.

Hamlet
What Dreams May Come-Matheson
What Dreams May Come-Movie
Alasdair Birthday List (because why not, right?)

Story notes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there’s the rub, for in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause.

When I was five, my grandmother took me to Macy’s to buy my first funeral coat. It’s tradition in my family to have a separate coat for funerals. Something black, sleek, with sharp edges and elaborate buttons. A coat with high collars, to hide our pulse and the tender arc of throat to shoulder. By the end of the day I was crying, exhausted from trying on dozens of coats. My grandmother had to carry me out of the store with the coat she chose wrapped in tissue paper under her arm.

Grandmother bribed me back to calm with a frosted cookie at a nearby bakery.

“It’s a sensible matter,” she said while I stuffed myself. “Only wear it to funerals and on holy or sacred ground.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Different coats for different weather,” she said. “You wouldn’t wear a rain coat in a snowstorm. Don’t wear your funeral coat to a birthday party.”

Perfect logic for our family. Later on I discovered not every family took funeral coats so seriously, or even owned funeral coats, for that matter. Nor did people go to as many funerals as we did.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?