Author Topic: PC655: Mariska and Major  (Read 832 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: December 02, 2020, 11:14:43 PM
PodCastle 655: Mariska and Major

Author: Damini Kane
Narrator: Suna Dasi
Host: Srikripa Krishna Prasad
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

PodCastle 655: Mariska and Major is a PodCastle original.

---

Show Notes
Rated PG-13.

Mariska is not an Indian name. I think that’s what caught my attention. She looked Indian enough, but there was something otherly about her, as though she spent too much time reliving childhood fantasies in her head. Still, she was nice, and we were neighbours, so we became friends.

She was the newest addition to our town. You wouldn’t know where I grew up; it doesn’t exist anymore. The people who lived there have moved on, their children based in expensive countries with jobs like Doctor and Lawyer and Techxpert. Our town was on a mountain. It snowed in the winters and burned in the summers. The little houses there were like grit in a nail bed, clinging to nooks and crevices in the rock, held together by a thread of a road. Sometimes, a bus would come to take us downhill, but we rarely ever boarded it. I believe my town might have been the last idyll in India, my country now full of choking cities. Today there’s a shopping mall over my home. The mountain was blown to pieces and in the winter, it is ash, not snow, that falls from the sky.

But this is not about any of that. Those are big things, Development, Environment, The Passage of Time. God knows I’m too small for such big things. This story can fit inside a coin purse. You could spend it at the corner store. You might drop it on the street and not even notice.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!