Author Topic: EP754: Where They Keep Their Promises  (Read 1568 times)

divs

on: October 31, 2020, 07:53:18 PM
Escape Pod 754: Where They Keep Their Promises

Author: B. Pladek
Narrator: Nadia Niaz
Host: Mur Lafferty
Audio Producer: Adam Pracht

Escape Pod 754: Where They Keep Their Promises is an Escape Pod original.

---

Content Warning: References viruses and disease.

I imagine you eating the chocolate bar.

It will arrive tomorrow, I hope, though the war has disrupted the medrunners’ routes between Chicago and London. It will arrive, though. I promise.

I imagine you unwrapping it, double-checking the forged postmark from your old orphanage, the forged note that says only happy birthday, since I never learned your real name. You’ll guess it’s chocolate, though it’s so expensive you’ve never tasted it before. Only copywrit people can afford chocolate.

The thought gives me pause. You believe I’m copywrit now, and I’m the only person who has ever bought you sweets. If you guess the bar is from me, you might throw it away.

Promise me, Fi. Promise me you’ll eat it.

I look up, away from the cartel’s sleek chemlab, and out over the Chicago skyline, hazy with sunset.

How dare you, you might reply if you were here. How dare you make me promise you anything.

Listen to this week's EscapePod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 06:04:00 PM
I really enjoyed this story. The world building, the unravelling of the role of the chocolate were all really well done. I just wish the ending were more concrete and less speculative - I just prefer my stories that way.

ethelbertmagnus

• Extern
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 04:00:23 AM
An interesting story, I enjoyed it very much.