Author Topic: PC656: What My Flies Keep for Me  (Read 816 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: December 20, 2020, 09:40:42 PM
PodCastle 656: What My Flies Keep for Me

Author: Shaoni C. White
Narrator: Abra Staffin-Wiebe
Host: Setsu Uzume
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

PodCastle 656: What My Flies Keep for Me is a PodCastle original.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated R.

There’s a dead body on the floor. This is a bad thing. I’m having trouble recalling why that’s the case, but I’m sure it’ll come back to me soon. I fastidiously clean the blade of the knife on the shirt that the body is wearing, because the knife is my brother’s and it’s rude to return things you’ve borrowed in poor condition. That’s what the flies resting on the curve of my ear are telling me. They’re very helpful, although I dearly miss their compatriots. The world is jagged and confusing without them. I look around and see dozens of things that don’t seem quite right, and I can recall the shape of the insect voices that ordinarily remind me why they’re wrong, but I can’t summon up the words they would use to explain it.

Unsure where to put the knife, I carry it loosely in my hand as I step carefully over the puddled blood. “Cleanliness is essential,” hums a fly as it takes off and orbits my head. “It’s important to keep shared living spaces clean and tidy so as not to inconvenience the people you live with.”

Another fly agrees. “It’s bad to inconvenience people.”

“Can you help me figure out what to do next?” I ask, but the flies just hum their murmured endorsements of cleanliness and consideration. “Should I clean up the mess?”

“Yes,” buzzes one.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!