Author Topic: CoW Ep. 386: Encore! Cosmetic Procedures  (Read 649 times)

Languorous Lass

on: January 26, 2021, 03:43:25 AM
Cast of Wonders 386: Encore! Cosmetic Procedures

• Author: Desmond Warzel
• Narrator: Rish Outfield
• Host: Graeme Dunlop
• Audio Producers: Graeme Dunlop and Jeremy Carter
• Artist: Alexis Goble

"Cosmetic Procedures" originally appeared in the anthology It Came From Her Purse, edited by Georgia Middleton and Karen L. Newman, from Sam's Dot Publishing, published August 2011.
It was previously published in Cast of Wonders Episode 69, March 1, 2013.

Click here to listen to Episode 386

When I became a private investigator, it wasn’t for excitement, or for money. The work is humdrum, and whatever noir romanticism the profession ever actually had is long gone (though I’ve got a raincoat, a fedora, and a dusty bottle of scotch in the closet, just in case they’re called for). As for money, there isn’t much–and I don’t need it anyway. I’m a dilettante, and utterly unashamed of it.

It was an ego boost, pure and simple. I suppose I just enjoyed the idea that, when some poor desperate soul was in dire straits, stretched to the breaking point, with nowhere to turn, I would be the one he’d call.

Well, now I’m sitting at my desk, unable to take my mind off the lower right-hand drawer, and the unique item therein, and I have no idea who I should call.

I am, however, extremely open to suggestions.

Tags:   Alexis Goble, cosmetics, crime, Desmond Warzel, encore, Fantasy, Graeme Dunlop, Horror, Jeremy Carter, noir, Rish Outfield, Young Adult fiction