Author Topic: Escape Pod at the library (an adventure)  (Read 8503 times)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
on: March 26, 2008, 03:02:53 AM
Like my writing, good ideas are rattling around up in the hollow thing behind my glasses, but the execution is... ambiguously successful.

Here's the first idea:  Buy the EP and PP compilation discs and donate them to the local library.  Win-win, because Escape Artists profts (you do, right, Steve?) and the library gets in on something cool.  Win-win-win-win, actually, because library patrons get the stories, and EP gets more exposure.

Ah, BUT, can the library handle the format (mp3, on CD or DVD)?  And will they accept a donation like that?  And what about ALL the libraries in my area?  Don't they deserve the love, too?

So, here's the second idea:  I went in and asked the librarian to buy the discs.  (I'm a patron; we're always asking for stuff that we want them to buy.)  The manager, a Mr. W, wasn't really clear on what I was trying to get him to do.  I explained that there is a collection of science fiction short stories on CD, but they are in mp3 format.  He was willing to put in an order, but they aren't sold on Amazon (at least, we couldn't find them there...) so he couldn't find an ISBN.  He was willing to go to poddisc.com, but the page wouldn't load, and he kind of started squirming when he saw that this weeks story on the EP page was "rated X" (he was semi-mollified by my assurance that it was really good).  Mr. W. ended up having me fill out a form they have for requesting unusual (or self-published) books.  We'll see what happens, and I'll try again next time Steve runs Squonk or a Pooh-story.

Now, I still plan on doing the original idea, but the experience moved me to post my tale here and ask if anyone else has tried this (successfully or otherwise).  I live in one large county, work in another, and would be more than happy to drive to one or two others nearby if I thought I could get them to add Escape Pod to their catalogues.  Is it possible to get the compilations in Audio CD format?  Would it be legally awkward to at least offer them on Amazon, so a librarian can order them?

Damn... I just realized I could have asked about the bookmarks, too.  Next trip!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:09:52 AM
I'm willing to make a run at the NYPL.

I seem to remember talk of an anthology being swatted down a while back due to licensing headaches, but since EP's gone past 150 episodes maybe can we start talking about wishing we had a dead paper collection of ~10-15 stories (maybe with a CD)?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Kurt Faler

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:14:30 AM
I'm willing to make a run at the NYPL.

I seem to remember talk of an anthology being swatted down a while back due to licensing headaches, but since EP's gone past 150 episodes maybe can we start talking about wishing we had a dead paper collection of ~10-15 stories (maybe with a CD)?

I think all EP pays for is nonexclusive audio rights, correct?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:49:47 AM
They do, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't go back to try for nonexclusive print rights. I'd guess that a fair percentage of the stories probably aren't available for print rights due to other contracts or would be prohibitively expensive, but with 150 stories there have to be more than enough good ones to make some kind of anthology.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:09:02 AM
Um, I wasn't trying to get anything in print... just trying to see if the library would/could purchase the CD archives.

I haven't got an answer yet, of course, but the two objections I think they'll have are a) the mp3 format, and b) they aren't for sale through an "authorized outlet" of some kind.  If they decide they can buy a few copies, though, I'll be sure to repeat the process as many times as I can!

And Heradel: Does NYPL taste like pumpkin pie?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:31:12 AM

A print anthology of stories that were original to EP has been on my radar for a while now.  It's not high on the list of immediate things to Get Done, but I do think it'd be fun.

The library: great idea, TAD.  Tell you what: if there's any possibility that the library would put them on the shelves for lending, then send me the right address (yours or theirs) and I'll send the CDs.  Buying them shouldn't be an obstacle for a cause like this.  Thanks for making the pitch!

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 04:35:45 AM
Um, I wasn't trying to get anything in print... just trying to see if the library would/could purchase the CD archives.

I haven't got an answer yet, of course, but the two objections I think they'll have are a) the mp3 format, and b) they aren't for sale through an "authorized outlet" of some kind.  If they decide they can buy a few copies, though, I'll be sure to repeat the process as many times as I can!

And Heradel: Does NYPL taste like pumpkin pie?

Apple Pie. For some reason they're freakishly large.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 03:04:11 AM

A print anthology of stories that were original to EP has been on my radar for a while now.  It's not high on the list of immediate things to Get Done, but I do think it'd be fun.

The library: great idea, TAD.  Tell you what: if there's any possibility that the library would put them on the shelves for lending, then send me the right address (yours or theirs) and I'll send the CDs.  Buying them shouldn't be an obstacle for a cause like this.  Thanks for making the pitch!

I will let you know as soon as I find out... of course, as a tax payer, the least they can do is buy my favorite anthology to make up for having Bill O'Reilly on the shelves.  Stay tuned, kids!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 10:56:28 PM
This is a great idea TAD.
I think my library still has Catcher in the Rye on the banned book list, but it's worth a shot.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:49:06 PM
I will let you know as soon as I find out... of course, as a tax payer, the least they can do is buy my favorite anthology to make up for having Bill O'Reilly on the shelves.  Stay tuned, kids!

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:00:38 PM

TAD is a true patriot.  We have entered the NO SPIN ZONE! 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 01:12:03 AM
[image edited for taste and content]

TAD is a true patriot.  We have entered the NO SPIN ZONE! 

w00t!  My new background piccie!  Thanks, fellas!  And with it set to "stretch" it actually makes his mouth look "actual size"!   ;D

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 01:10:57 PM
I haven't heard anything from my friendly librarian, haven't been able to track down the guy I submitted the form to, AND can't get through to them on their web page.  So...

I'm going to try again.  :)  (What else can I do?)

I just wondered if anyone else had contacted their own public library, and if they had any more success than I have?

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 04:29:45 AM
Hmm...  I like this idea and know that the two libraries near my home have large audio collections.  When I get off for summer break, I'll have to look into this.  Good idea, Tango Alpha Delta!

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
    • The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 05:31:13 PM
That's interesting.  Before coming to this forum, I had a the same idea, buy the pod discs and donate them to the library.  My only problem is that I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and there are probably only a few hundred to maybe a thousand people who use the library regularly.  The county I live in doesn't have a county library system.  I want to do it, but it feels like it might be a waste.  I guess I could donate to a different library than my own.

Check out some great stories at The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine

eytanz

Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 06:02:15 PM
That's interesting.  Before coming to this forum, I had a the same idea, buy the pod discs and donate them to the library.  My only problem is that I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and there are probably only a few hundred to maybe a thousand people who use the library regularly.  The county I live in doesn't have a county library system.  I want to do it, but it feels like it might be a waste.  I guess I could donate to a different library than my own.

I should think it wouldn't be a waste - for one, someone living in a small town in the middle of nowhere probably has less resources and opportunities available to them to get exposed to great SF. Maybe not as big a difference as it would have been ten years ago before the internet, but still, an EP CD may reach less people where you live than it would otherwise, but it might also have a bigger impact on those it does reach.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 06:50:53 PM
Okay; upon further digging around, I discovered that my library has a MySpace AND a Facebook presence!  Weird, I know...

But I friended them, and sent them a (I hope) coherent plea for Escape Pod anthology discs, complete with links and an emphasis on the significant impact Escape Pod has made on short fiction markets.

So, I highly recommend that if you are interested in doing something similar in your area, that you Google for your local/county/state library system, and see if they have an online "Ask a Librarian" service.  If they do, they may be able to understand your request a little better than the card catalogue jockey behind the desk.  ;)

And if you're in a "small market area" with only a tiny local branch, I think that is even more important!  They don't have a lot of resources, after all, and if they can help their patrons find FREE online resources, they ought to be doing that.  You can help educate them.  (But be gentle; smile pretty, and when you get the horses to water, casually comment on how thirsty they must be, rather than forcing their heads down to drink.)