Author Topic: PC684: In the Dim Below  (Read 719 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 23, 2021, 05:24:37 AM
PodCastle 684: In the Dim Below

Author: Teresa Milbrodt
Narrator: Alexis Goble
Host: Summer Fletcher
Audio Producer: Peter Behravesh

Previously published in Guernica in 2015

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated PG-13.

This had been the routine since I was born, bombs coming every few years, or every few months, whenever there was another reason for everyone on one side of the river to get mad at everyone on other other side of the river, or vice versa. The sirens blew and we had to go inside, or down below, until the blasts stopped, the smoke mostly cleared, and we could come up and see what was left of the world.

It was bad when you were a kid. Bombs had no eyes to make decisions, couldn’t tell soldiers from children. Each of us had seen at least one friend’s body carried from a pile of stone that had once been a house. Our parents told us not to worry because they were shooting bombs back across the river to keep us safe. We didn’t know how that was supposed to stop the other bombs, or why faceless enemies imagined us as soldiers instead of friends. Didn’t they have kids on the other side of the river, kids who looked something like us? But we couldn’t ask questions, we just had to find a tiny space where bombs could not find us.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 07:03:07 PM
I liked this one. Seemed like a mix of Memories’ Cannon Fodder (1995) + The War That Saved My Life.

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.