Author Topic: PseudoPod 763: Charged  (Read 1587 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: June 28, 2021, 04:21:05 AM
PseudoPod 763: Charged

Author: Leanna Renee Hieber
Narrator: Joe Williams
Host: Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer: Marty Perrett

“Charged” was first published in Queen Victoria’s Book of Spells (Tor Books, 2011)

Show Notes
The reader,  Joe Williams, would like to dedicate the reading to their Father who recently passed away: “Allan Williams was Joe’s hero. Never short of experiences to share or advice to give he had been a merchant seaman, a kangaroo hunter, and a movie extra, among other things. As an example of how to live no-one could have asked for better, even up to his final days, and his passing on the third of May has left a void. He will be missed.”

My first memory is of being struck by lightning. It was exquisite.

I was standing in my grandfather’s field just before the storm broke. White hot arcs threaded across the whole of the charcoal English sky. Trembling with thrills, I wanted to reach up and touch the delicate vein-like threads of light. It would seem they wanted to touch me too.

“There’s nothing more wondrous than a good, riotous thunderstorm, my boy,” grandfather had said with a gamesome punch to my shoulder that landed too hard. But I learned that’s how one shows affection to a male child; with a touch of force.

That’s when the bolt anointed me. I stood riveted as my bones rattled and crackled, my blood boiled and a thousand angels screamed in my ears. When it was over, small wisps of smoke curled up from my hair and coat.

Grandfather stared at me in horror. “You should be dead, child.” He clapped me again on the back, a sting of shock passing between us upon contact, and walked away.

I wasn’t dead but he was right about one thing; I’ve yet to see or feel anything more wondrous than a sky full of electricity.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:48:44 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

jaelen

• Extern
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 04:58:19 PM
The show notes refer to Joe using "his," but I think Joe exclusively uses they/them pronouns? Would love to see the show notes, and their Escape Pod bio, updated to correct the misgendering.

jasonwebster

• Extern
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 04:48:07 AM
Review for Yeti Tundra 45 Cooler

If you are looking for a good cooler, chances are that Yeti coolers will be recommended as some of the Best Coolers In The World. When it comes to Yeti, nothing else shines quite as bright as the Yeti Tundra 45. Let’s find out what it is about this cooler that makes it so popular.

OVERVIEW

Anyone experienced with coolers would be able to tell you instantly which brand makes the best coolers. And it is none other than the famous Yeti brand. It is not just that they are making good coolers, but they are also the leading innovator in coolers. They are the first creators behind the famed “rotomolded” cooler, which is so good that they inspired a bunch of cheap and poor imitations that followed behind.

“Rotomolding” is essentially a special technique that involves rotating the raw material at high speed over great heat, and shaping it into a box. This creates the cooler from a single piece of material as opposed to assembling multiple pieces together. This process greatly enhances the durability of the cooler and makes it extremely unlikely to fall apart. It is no wonder that rotomolded coolers often cost twice or even thrice a normal cooler assembled piece-by-piece would.

Not only being more resilient to physical abuse, but a rotomolded cooler is also famous for being superior when it comes to the ice retention ability. A rotomolded cooler can keep ice for twice as long as a normal cooler could, making it far more ideal for a camping trip. It creates a nearly airtight design that prevents air getting in and melting the ice. This is all thanks to their thick insulated walls created from the rotomolding technique. The walls have more density inside, but more importantly they are also thicker than the walls of normal coolers.

Being the creator behind this technique, of course Yeti also possesses some of the best rotomolded cooler models in the competition. But the most famous model among these is probably the Yeti Tundra 45, a cooler model that is very popular among outdoor enthusiasts. The reason for this is very simple, and that is because this cooler is often regarded as the champion of the Top Rated Coolers For Camping and for ice retention competition.

The secret to its success is very simple, and that is because of the extremely thick walls. Even among rotomolded coolers, this model probably possesses the thickest walls of all. It goes without saying that this cooler model also has the most insane cooling ability and keeps ice frozen the longest of any coolers thanks to these walls. It could be icy cold inside the cooler with only very little ice but the cooler keeps that icy air for a very long time.

Thicker walls also mean you have to compromise a little bit. The trade-off lies in the storage space that you will have to give up for these thick walls. This cooler can only hold up to 38 quarts, which is a bit small compared to its peers in the same price range. But if you are a minimalist packer and great performance quality is what you care more about, then you can be assured that there will not be another cooler that can beat this one for a long time.

CONCLUSION

While being short in the capacity department, this cooler makes up for it by being exceptional in quality of performance. And by “exceptional” we really mean it as there has not been another model from the Best Coolers For Camping that can beat this one yet. What you are going to get with this cooler is going to be worth spending a few hundred dollars on it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:00:34 AM by jasonwebster »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 06:48:14 PM
The show notes refer to Joe using "his," but I think Joe exclusively uses they/them pronouns? Would love to see the show notes, and their Escape Pod bio, updated to correct the misgendering.

I'll look into changing this, thanks for the heads up! It's worth noting that generally the narrators and authors provide their own bios, so I'm inclined to believe the use of 'he' was intentional in some sense. But I might be wrong, hence the looking into :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:54:23 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?