Author Topic: CoW Ep. 462: Straw-Spun  (Read 755 times)

Languorous Lass

on: August 17, 2021, 01:45:38 AM
Cast of Wonders 462: Straw-Spun

• Author: Leah Cypess
• Narrator: Suna Dasi
• Host: KB Sluss
• Audio Producer:  Jeremy Carter
• Artist: Alexis Goble

"Straw-Spun" was previously published in Sword and Sorceress 27, November 2012.

Click here to listen to Episode 462

Alina unfolded the letter slowly and with great care:‭ ‬it was very old,‭ ‬and‭ ‬felt thin and fragile under her steady fingertips.‭ ‬Her heart was pounding in a way unfamiliar to her,‭ ‬and not just because of the whispers she had heard on the way to the throne room:‭ ‬gold to straw from two passing courtiers,‭ ‬the end of‭ ‬the peace from a duke to a lady,‭ ‬Rumpelstiltskin‭ – ‬she hadn’t turned fast enough to see who’d said that.

She had come to the‭ ‬sitting room to ask her father about the whispers,‭ ‬but‭ ‬before she could say a word,‭ ‬he had handed her the letter.‭ ‬She smoothed out the last fold and‭ ‬focused on the ornate,‭ ‬flowing script‭ ‬so similar to her own.

The king was watching her.‭ ‬She‭ ‬composed her face and read.

Tags:  Alexis Goble, betrothal, daughters, economics, fae, Faery, fairy tale, families, fathers, gold, Jeremy Carter, KB Sluss, Leah Cypess, love, politics, princess, responsibility, Rumplestiltskin, Suna Dasi, young adult fiction

Álex Souza

• Palmer
  • Just a Latin American lad.
    • Blog
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 04:53:01 PM
I really like the retelling of fairy tales, and this one, being somewhat a continuation, felt even more interesting. I wrote a review for a story about The Cutter and the Thumb-sucker, but I don't remember which Espace Artitists Podcasts that was.

I wans't going to listen to this one, but I changed my name when I saw that it was published in "Sword and Sorceress Magazine". I'd never heard about it so I decided to give it ago (I like the genre a lot). Much more sorcery than sword in this one though.

PS: Rumpelstiltskin is about taking responsibility for your actions, and I laughed about “responsibility” being in the tags.

I just wanna go pro before AI takes over and the bot dogs from Boston Dynamics kill us all.