Author Topic: Does anyone else...?  (Read 11128 times)

Reap3r

• Palmer
  • Dont Make Me Eat You.
    • The Green Bunny
on: January 26, 2007, 02:17:19 AM
Does anyone else get annoyed by people that post in every topic of a board like they just want a high post count, or am I the only one? I have the complete opposite kind of problem. I worry to much about posting something stupid and I let that hold me back from joining discussions. Lately, I have begun to feel more comfortable posting.

Thinking? I've never heard of that. Is it some kind of food? Please tell me it tastes better than those sick pop tarts filled with meat. You know, Hot Pockets. What, thinking isn't a food? Well then, what is it? Does it have to be built. I hate building things. JUST TELL ME NOW! O look, a bird.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:06:45 AM
I'm glad you feel more comfortable posting, reap3r.  Please do!  As for other people's postings: everyone approaches forums with a different style.  There have been a few people who've chosen to comment on most or all of the contest entries.  That's their prerogative, and we don't discourage it.  Every person who's done so has at least had something real to say, even if it was brief.

If there were any genuine bandwidth-wasters here -- people who never had anything to say except "I agree!" or only went on complete tangents -- we'd politely take them aside and suggest different behavior.  Unless we concluded they were spammers.  Then they'd go into a black hole.

I'm actually ridiculously proud of the way these forums have turned out.  It is a huge number of posts for such a brief period of time -- but all those posts have been from people who think.  You, reap3r, and everyone else here whose posts I've read, have been literate human beings who weren't here to spew garbage.  Do you have any idea how rare that is?  I've been on the Internet a long time, and I've been on a lot of forums.  I know how rare it is.  And I am slightly in awe.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 04:17:39 AM
Also, for as many people as are registered and how few post regularly (or at all), with out a lot of cross-topic posting small forums tend to stagnate. New users might not find anything interesting to post about, and ultimately the forum would have to close, and Steve would have to kick all these hard-working moderators out on the street. Do you want to explain to little Timmy why his father can't afford to feed him and he has to be sold to the Circus? You cruel, heartless monster!

...or we're just a hord of simpering fanboys, and this site doesn't get caught in the spam filters at work.

(I vote for the spam filter/fanboy thing myself) ; )
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 04:25:50 AM by Thaurismunths »

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Reap3r

• Palmer
  • Dont Make Me Eat You.
    • The Green Bunny
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:54:40 AM
Yeah, I think that the reason that annoys me is because of the few forums that I every went on, most were teenagers talking about a video game. Alot of the posts were stupid and not thought out, and I saw alot of people going through every topic just because they thought it was fun. I think I associate large amounts of posts from one person in a short period of time with thoughtless junk. Not all of it was junk, but so much was that it was that I gave up on most forum. I guess its a good thing I decided to join this forum anyway.

O yeah, thanks for putting together Escape Pod.

Thinking? I've never heard of that. Is it some kind of food? Please tell me it tastes better than those sick pop tarts filled with meat. You know, Hot Pockets. What, thinking isn't a food? Well then, what is it? Does it have to be built. I hate building things. JUST TELL ME NOW! O look, a bird.

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:04:42 AM
Unless we concluded they were spammers.  Then they'd go into a black hole.
Filled with pointy sticks.
Steve would have to kick all these hard-working moderators out on the street. Do you want to explain to little Timmy why his father can't afford to feed him and he has to be sold to the Circus? You cruel, heartless monster!
No, no, please don't kick me out into the street. Of course this response kind of implies we get paid. At EP only the writers get paid.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:24:44 AM
No, no, please don't kick me out into the street. Of course this response kind of implies we get paid. At EP only the writers get paid.

Oh, no, I didn't think you actually got paid for this gig. I figured you sold plasma for money so you could pay Steve for the honor of moderating. ; )

I think I associate large amounts of posts from one person in a short period of time with thoughtless junk.
I can understand that, though surprisingly I haven't seen that here. Palimpsest posted 49 times in one day, and the ones I've seen were thoughtful and added to the conversation. Perhaps this board is just lucky?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:31:43 AM by Thaurismunths »

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:42:12 AM

Oh, no, I didn't think you actually got paid for this gig. I figured you sold plasma for money so you cold pay Steve for the honor of moderating. ; )

That's a lot closer to the truth. But when Steve starts talking about organs, I'm outa here.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 01:17:40 PM
That's a lot closer to the truth. But when Steve starts talking about organs, I'm outa here.

Hey, someone's got to keep grinding that thing.  That monkey ain't gonna dance by himself.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:20:13 PM

Hey, someone's got to keep grinding that thing.  That monkey ain't gonna dance by himself.

That monkey creeps me out.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 02:37:45 PM

Touch the monkey! Touch him! Love him!!!!

Now is the time on Sprokkets when we dance!

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 02:47:48 PM

Touch the monkey! Touch him! Love him!!!!

Now is the time on Sprokkets when we dance!

That monkey is seriously weird. One leg is longer than the other and his head is too big. Also he kind of looks at me funny. I just don't trust him. He's planning something.

I was OK with the robot overlords and even with the zombie overlords, but when this monkey and his buddies make their move, I'm fighting back.

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 07:49:57 PM
That monkey is seriously weird. One leg is longer than the other and his head is too big. Also he kind of looks at me funny. I just don't trust him. He's planning something.

For the last time, I'm not a monkey.  I'm a man, dammit!

satellitelady

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:27 AM
hahahha..I heard that before
 :-*

Russell Nash

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 11:13:24 PM

For the last time, I'm not a monkey.  I'm a man, dammit!

Just be quiet, put on your little hat, and shake your little change cup in front of the nice people

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 01:16:09 PM
Does anyone else get annoyed by people that post in every topic of a board like they just want a high post count, or am I the only one? I have the complete opposite kind of problem. I worry to much about posting something stupid and I let that hold me back from joining discussions. Lately, I have begun to feel more comfortable posting.

Sorry Reap3r, it seems we've gone WAY off topic... but that's what you get for slave monkey labor.
I'm sure we all feel the same way you do about ditto posting and racking up ones number of posts. If you see someone who might be wasting space on the boards, you can always bring it to on of the monk...moderators' attentions.
And, I think I can speak for everyone, we hope you won't let our overzealous blathering overwhelm you and that you'll post often and join in the discussions/rants/wanderings. By the vary nature of SF readers we are imaginative and prone to flights of fancy, but this seems to be a friendly lot, and it would be a shame to lose even the most reserved voice in out cacophonous choir.

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 01:05:57 PM
*pets monkey*
*puts some small coins in his cup*

I'm also concerned about sounding stupid at times, so you won't see me posting a whole lot for a time.
I'd rather read into this community before I start running around like a mad man, posting little bits and pieces here and there. (though people say that it's gotten better, I'm not so much a mad man anymore, just a tad crazy))

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 09:29:37 PM
*pets monkey*

I'm also concerned about sounding stupid at times, so you won't see me posting a whole lot for a time.
I'd rather read into this community before I start running around like a mad man, posting little bits and pieces here and there. (though people say that it's gotten better, I'm not so much a mad man anymore, just a tad crazy))

Cool!  People say I'm a "Tad" crazy, too!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Startrekwiki

Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 05:41:07 AM
*pets monkey*

Cool!  People say I'm a "Tad" crazy, too!

Same here. I have the same problem as Reap3r. I'm always afraid that I'll write something completely off-topic, and stupid. If I respond to something, I usually will try to have an intelligent response. Not "Yah!", but something more like "I believe that's correct, and ...". This is a paradox, for I now fear that I may drive us off-topic again with this post!   :-\
That's the problem with conversations: eventually, your brain makes a link to something about something someone said, and you say your thoughts. Then, the next person makes another connection based on your statement, and suddenly, after two people exchanging ideas, you're off topic. This is even worse with forums, for with forums, you have time to think about the subject, so your brain makes more random connections. That's my theory, anyhow.

See? We're off topic, proving that I'm a paradoxical person.