Author Topic: How big is your podcast backlog?  (Read 57005 times)

Russell Nash

on: January 26, 2007, 05:26:38 PM
How big is your podcast backlog? The podcasts on you r computer you want to listen to , but haven't yet.

Mine is currently:

4 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes, and 30 seconds.

CrushEm

• Extern
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:38:44 PM
3 Days at the moment, but I've been trying to catch up like crazy this last week.  If you asked me 7 days ago, it would have been about 6 or 7 days!  :o

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 07:34:59 PM
1 day ish. 

If it was 3 days, I have to take some time off work.

Vanamonde

• Extern
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 10:42:03 AM
Thankfully I can listen to podcasts at work (it relieves the tedium), so only get a backlog when I'm on holiday.

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 07:12:59 PM
4 days, 11 hours, 58 minutes, and 30 seconds.

Found a few new podcasts. Now my backlog is 4 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes, and 58 seconds.

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:56:43 PM
I think it mounts up to about 3 hours... So much great stuff to listen to, so little time.

therese

• Extern
  • word wrangler
    • Internal Rant of the Spotted Mind
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 06:00:20 PM
Just checked for subscription updates...and it's now 4 days, 18 hours and 13 minutes.

Either I go on vacation or AWOL from work and life. *facepalm*

Feel your worries melt away - listen to EP52: Single White Farmhouse

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 02:53:49 AM
about 5.4 days for me lol kinda new to the whole podcast thing so I have found alot of new stuff that I want to try out

at least I will be getting a car adapter for my ipod on my bday
and since I drive about 1.5 hrs a day I will hopefuly be able to catch up with it

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:26:20 AM
at least I will be getting a car adapter for my ipod on my bday
and since I drive about 1.5 hrs a day I will hopefuly be able to catch up with it

My problem is that my town is five minutes from end to end. I can't even listen to the Drabblecast in one sitting.

So I've started to walk a lot more, and most days now I get at least a half hour stroll in. Great stories and lots of exercise! All I have to do now is work out what to subscribe to once the backlog runs out!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:09 AM
3 days, 17 hours, and 5 minutes. It seems like whenever it gets down to about a day I go out and find new podcasts to binge on.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 12:10:02 PM
Twelve hours.  I tend to keep on top of things, and if I'm falling behind, I pull something from my feeds.

I'm ruthless.

If I find myself running out of things to listen to, I login to Podiobooks and release more chapters.  I've got several books there on "monthly" which I use to fill in when the weekly podcasters are having a bad week.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 02:24:56 PM
I was down to about 5 hours but I now have about 40 or so Drabblecast to listen to.   I listen primarily in my car (30 minutes a day) and on dog walks.  It's been below zero F and crazy windy the last two days so I've fallen behind on the dog walk listening time.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:57 PM
I have about 15 things to listen to right now, so about 7-8 hours.  I don't listen to a LOT of podcasts, but I did recently add three more.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 05:07:23 AM
I've currently got about 165 items qued up to download.  (Dial-up connection, what has downloaded is usually listened to immediately.)  Some of the casts originally came in on the feeds way back in August of '07.  The list used to be longer, but I've dropped several casts that weren't worth the effort , and some older episodes of the ones that I really plan on keeping up with. 

I'm only actually caught up with:
Escape Pod
60 Second Science
Joss'd
Strangely Literal
Buffy between the Lines
Science Talk
and Counterspin

I'm barely holding my ground at the moment. :-\ (But I have lots of patience)  ;D

I'll just go back to being silent again now.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:29 AM
1.2 days at the moment, though as I'm working through the entire runs of Metamor City and Skeptoid, if I downloaded all of them it would probably be closer to 2 days.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 12:52:32 PM
3 or 4 hours.  If it get's too backlogged, I start dropping podcasts.  "Adventures in SciFi Publishing" and "Starship Sofa" got the axe most recently.  "I Should Be Writing" will probably go next.  I just don't like having a ton of crap in my podcasts list.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 08:25:16 PM
About four days. I have 137 unlistened episodes that sync to my iPod ,and about 160 total including the ones that I haven't listened to yet but don't carry around with me. I have 40 podcasts in my subscription list but there are about five that seem to have podfaded since I picked them up.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:31 PM
I'm with gelee. I'm usually down to zero by Wednesday or so, after which point I listen to a bit of an audio book while I wait for new episodes. If something just piles up it's probably not worth subscribing to.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 01:46:18 AM
how about lists of what is in the back log?

currently caught up w/ all eps that Itunes will let me get then I have a about 3 news feeds ( 2 npr @ 7 AM and 7 PM, and an election coverage one), and that is most of the podcasts atm but I have some podiobooks as well so ya
anyone else?

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 05:30:12 AM
I'm waiting on episodes (some more than others) of:

Winging It
The WhedonCast
The Signal
Sonic Society
Slice of Sci-Fi
PodCulture
Upside Down and Halfway to Happy Land
Skeptics Guide to the Universe
Firefly Talk
The Babylon Podcast
Three Edged Sword (a B5 audio drama)

I'd be caught up on a lot more if the servers that they are hosted on allowed resuming; (I hate getting over 90% downloaded, and then suddenly the server claims to be busy and I have to try all over again from the beginning.)  ARGH! >:(

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 09:30:24 AM
OK,

I currently have:

The latest Adam and Joe Show,
Last weeks Escape Pod,
Part 2 of The Fabric Podcast,
Several Free London Walks,
The latest I Should be Writing,
Five Indian Electronica Podcasts,
I've just started on Metamor City,
The latest National Archive Podcast,
The last three Pseudopods,
Five Psychedelic Salon episodes,
The latest Hooting Yard,
I'm about halfway through the archive of Skeptoid,
Five Starship Sofas,
And a Trannywreck in a pear tree.

So I guess I should be listening... (Sorry Mur)

AarrowOM

• Palmer
  • "We are fleeting creatures, we humans!" - S Baxter
    • Aaron Morris's Website
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 09:42:34 AM
I gave up trying to figure out how long my backlog is ages ago.  In terms of hard drive space, my backlog is somewhere between 30 and 50 GB (damn you Podiobooks.com!  ;))  Though I can listen to an hour's worth of podcasts per day during my commute, my main problem is that I keep stumbling across new ones to listen to.  I've exhausted Darker Projects' and BrokenSea's offerings, but keep up with them as new eps are released.  Add Escape Pod and Sigler's latest novel into the mix and it means that it takes about a week to run through your average podiobook.  This, of course, doesn't mean that I stop subscribing to them, unfortunately.  I should admit that I've been bad recently as I ran through Mur Lafferty's Playing for Keeps, Alan E. Nourse's Star Surgeon, 7 eps of Black Shadow, and all of Lester Del Rey's Badge of Infamy since Saturday 2/16.  (And to think that I have a master's thesis to write...)

Most that are profound would choose to narrate tales of living men with nouns like sorrow, verbs like lose, and action scenes, and love – but then there are now some, and brave they be, that speak of Lunar cities raised and silver spheres and purple seas, leaving us who listen dazed. -- Irena Foygel

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 05:11:00 PM
I'm caught up with, as of last download:
EscapePod
PseudoPod
A Prairie Home Companion: News from Lake Wobegon
Barats & Bereta
deos Shadow Pagan Podcast
Diary of a Shameless Self-Promoter
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
Kemet This Week
Kinky Sex Radio (basically podfaded)
KinkyCast (basically podfaded)
Life As a Comic Videoblog
Midwest Teen Sex Show
NPR: Sunday Puzzle
Playing for Keeps (except all the Stories from the Third Wave episodes)
They Might Be Giants Friday Night Family Podcast
Wisecrack
WFUV's Take Five
3Worlds - The Shamanism Podcast

Still need to catch up on:
Firefly Talk
GenderTalk
Knitwitch's Scifi/Fantasy Zone Podcast
National Geographic Video Shorts
NPR: Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! (I only keep the current week and haven't heard one since the summer)
Polyamory Weekly
PRI: Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know? (I only keep the current week and haven't heard one since the summer)
The Ropecast
Sex is Fun
The Signal
Stranger Things TV
Subknit
This American Life

Subscribed to but haven't managed to start listening to yet:
I Should Be Writing
Leather Leadership Conference
Leather Radio Network
They Might Be Giants Podcast

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

wanderer

• Extern
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 05:14:46 AM
ahem i have 693 unlistened too podcasts at the moment....

its a bit of a backlog.

williamjamesw

• Palmer
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 05:42:39 AM
Wow!  A bit?

I've managed to work mine down to 118, and barely holding there.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 12:34:11 PM
Yay!  All caught up and ready for the next EP and PP!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 04:11:04 PM
I just got caught up with the PC Gamer podcast which I picked up about a month ago and started with a year's worth of episodes.  For the Maximum PC podcast I only picked up the past three or so.

I currently subscribe to, and am caught up with:

Escape Pod (my first)
Variant Frequencies
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
The Geek Fu Morning Show
Truth Seekers
The Adultspace Childfree Podcast
PC Gamer
Maximum PC

(Also Stranger Things, but those video podcasts won't store to my iPod Nano).

Currently there's nothing new to sync, so I've been listening to Playing for Keeps.

I dumped Kevin Smith's "SModcast" and Nobilis' "Erotica" a month or two ago, as well as the political podcasts "The Lone Conservative" and Jack Clark's "Blast the Right" ... extremism on either end rubs me the wrong way.  Plus Clark's voice is really annoying.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 12:31:05 AM
Sorry to hear that, but I'll be the first to say that my podcast isn't for everyone.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 03:52:00 AM
Sorry to hear that, but I'll be the first to say that my podcast isn't for everyone.

I'm also on the verge of dumping "The Geek Fu Morning Show".  It's gone from the "Action Grip" format that usually featured Lafferty reading some of her writing, to being the same kind of topic-bereft nattering (or "meandering palaver") that made me unsubscribe from the SModcast.  Plus, bringing her daughter in on a recent one really annoyed the piss out of me. 

I haven't dropped it yet because unlike the weekly SModcast, it doesn't update all that often*.  And I like Mur.

*actually the only podcasts I listen to that update on a regular weekly basis are Escape Pod, PC Gamer, and Maximum PC.  Oh, and Podcastle since it started.  The rest don't seem to follow any hard schedule.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 03:18:44 AM
Hmmm... I appear to be some sort of record holder: 636 items, 16.4 days, and 15.77 GB

A lot of it -- like the Princeton University Podcast, 12 Byzantine Emporers, History of Christianity and Jim Kelley's Free Reads is stuff I'm warehousing to cull through and pull out stuff that looks promising before a long trip or other listening-intensive occasion.  I know I won't listen to it all, but I don't know what part of "all" I won't listen to, yet.  Others, like several meditation podcasts, are intentionally stored as a permanent library. 

Most of the ones I listen to routinely are short, don't update very often, or both:

America Votes 2008 by CNN
The Writer's Almanac by Garrison Keillor/American Public Media
Backstory from the New York Times
Cato Daily Podcast by the Cato Institute
CNN News Update by CNN
The Economist by The Economist newspaper
Escape Pod by Escape Artists
The History of Rome by Mike Duncan
The Drabblecast by Norm Sherman
The Instant Guide by the BBC World Service
The Joy of Living Creatively by Eric Maisel
The Journal Report by The Wall Street Journal
KCRW's Film Reviews by KCRW radio
The Moth Podcast by The Moth (Storytelling, sort of)
NPR Hourly News Summary by NPR
NPR Koppel on the News by Ted Koppel
NPR Sports with Frank Deford by Frank Deford
NPR Story of the Day by NPR
NPR This I believe by NPR
The Onion Radio News by The Onion
Oxford Biographies by the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
Podcastle by Escape Artists
President's Weekly Radio Address by The White House
Slate Explainer Podcast by Slate Magazine
Slate Daily Podcast by Slate Magazine
Vanguard: Investment Commentary by The Vanguard Group
Vanguard: Plain Talk on Investing by The Vanguard Group
WSJ:Your Money Matters by The Wall Street Journal
Well-Told Tales by Well-Told Tales
WFIU Movie Reviews by WFIU Radio
Writing Excuses by Brandon Sanderson, Howard Taylor, Dan Wells
The WritingCast by Ivy
60-Second Psych by Scientific American
60-Second Science by Scientific American
90-Second Naturalist by WVXU Radio
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:24:07 AM by Windup »

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 03:43:14 AM
I have 32 unlistened episodes (I can't figure out how to check the time, since I'm a packrat about back episodes, and iTunes "smart playlists" aren't smart enough to have a "only marked-as-new" checkbox).  However, ten of those are a podiobook that I'm putting off for now, and I haven't checked lately for NPR programs that I listened to on the air and therefore aren't new.  I listen at work, but unfortunately I'm having USB troubles on my laptop and can't synch, so lately I've just been listening to old-time radio (I happen to have the complete archives of Dimension X and X Minus 1on my iPod).

Russell Nash

Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 05:59:36 PM
My backlog was totally out of control.  I went in with a scythe and created great carnage.  I deleted and unsubscribed from 7 days worth of podcasts.

Including, but not limited to:

Scott Sigler
Cory Doctorow
Silent Universe
Variant Frequencies
Clonepod (didn't unsubscribe, I'll keep it for Union Dues. As soon as that's done, this is gone too)
MYN (number one with a bullet fame)
Well Told Tales

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 06:20:24 PM
My backlog was totally out of control.  I went in with a scythe and created great carnage. 

I'm gonna have to do something like this soon.  I have so much room on my ipod, I usually don't delete stuff off my computer, especially not stories.  But I think that's probably going to have to change.

Also, between my podcasts/music backlog and my wife's photoshop, I think we're going to have to finally buy an external harddrive.  There's just too damn much stuff!

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 06:46:54 PM
Envious of those with iPods larger than 8GB. Once you take off the 2.5GB of Radiohead Music, the 500MB of Radiohead Music Videos, and the 2+ GB of other music that I will never delete from my iPod ever ever, I have about 2.5GB left as useable space for podcast/audiobook storage. As such these things get cycled around a lot- they will remain on my harddrive, but over the course of a week about 1.5GB of material will have been cycled onto my iPod, through my ears and back onto the unchecked pile in iTunes. I don't have a backlog, as I live a sad life/spend WAAY too much time consuming music and podcasts that I have heard everything from the 8 or so Podcasts I listen to religiously.

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 06:52:00 PM
It would be so much easier if I didn't insist on all the music being at least 192kbps, and 320kbps for the best albums on there. But recently I compressed all the non-music podcasts to something ridiculously low like 24kbps, and they still sound OK to me when I'm on the go or listening at my house. I'd advise this for anyone who needs to free up some space.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 05:24:51 AM
Sheesh, you people and your music.  ::) 

I've still never had music on my iPod (except for a year ago when my wife insisted on having Christmas music to listen to in the rental car on the way to Seattle and back.)  4GB on my Nano is still plenty of space for me -- only one or two audiobooks at a time are kept on board along with the podcasts, and I just rotate stuff out once it's listened to.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 08:49:05 AM
proud owner of an 80gb iPod. :)  newer model, video, skinny as hell, awesome battery, sexy sexy shit

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 01:06:57 PM
proud owner of an 80gb iPod. :)  newer model, video, skinny as hell, awesome battery, sexy sexy shit
Next year, he tells himself. Next year...

Sheesh, you people and your music.  ::) 

I've still never had music on my iPod (except for a year ago when my wife insisted on having Christmas music to listen to in the rental car on the way to Seattle and back.)  4GB on my Nano is still plenty of space for me -- only one or two audiobooks at a time are kept on board along with the podcasts, and I just rotate stuff out once it's listened to.

... For once I am speechless.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 04:09:48 PM

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 08:20:15 PM
No music on an iPod is a shocking concept to me.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 08:59:28 PM
No music on an iPod is a shocking concept to me.

Well, by the time I got an iPod, I had already been listening exclusively to audiobooks in the car for almost a year, having discovered that they helped the time pass on my weekly drive between Portland and Seattle a lot better than music did. 

I still like to listen to good music, but it doesn't do much to curb boredom for me.

Russell Nash

Reply #41 on: December 07, 2008, 01:54:42 PM
My backlog was totally out of control.  I went in with a scythe and created great carnage. 

I'm gonna have to do something like this soon.  I have so much room on my ipod, I usually don't delete stuff off my computer, especially not stories.  But I think that's probably going to have to change.

Also, between my podcasts/music backlog and my wife's photoshop, I think we're going to have to finally buy an external harddrive.  There's just too damn much stuff!

By backlog I mean the ones I haven't listened to yet.  My Kept Fiction is an entirely different thing.  Storage space isn't an issue for me (thanks to my 500 GB time capsule).  I was just clearing out stuff that I wasn't going to listen to at all.   

Raving_Lunatic

• Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 07:30:53 PM
I can smile. I just freed up 3GB of space on my hard drive, just enough to grab loads of concerts off the internet and the Air Out My Shorts backlog.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 09:39:04 PM
AoMS is my one sin...
okay maybe not the only one...

why must they podfade?!!!

anyway... on topic...
i like having all of my music all of the time on my iPod, that way, wherever I may be with said ipod, whatever situation might come up, i have music to satisfy most people :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 05:18:21 PM
Just upgraded from 4GB nano to 16GB iphone, so I've got more room, but my podcast backlog is pretty bad no matter what. I plan to get through everything, but during football season EVERYTHING takes a backseat to TFFG (thefantasyfootballguys.com), which is twice weekly until the playoffs. I'll be caught up by February, I think.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 01:53:58 PM
I'm still using my ~5-year-old iRiver H320. I took the 20GB hard drive out a while ago and replaced it with a 32GB CF card, and it's awesome. If only it had an optical out, it would be the best DAP ever...

Raving Lunatic: Depending on the precise model you have, swapping in more storage may well be trivial. Might be worth looking in to.

A friend of mine is sending me an old 3rd-gen iPod with a failing hard drive and a cracked screen so I can hack around with it, and see what all the fuss is about. But once the hardware is in order, I'll probably install a real operating system on it...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Russell Nash

Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 08:08:12 PM
The scythe was at work again.

I cut:
Digital Photography-tips from the top floor
TED Talks
Podcastle

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #47 on: December 18, 2008, 03:57:19 AM
The scythe was at work again.

I cut:
Digital Photography-tips from the top floor
TED Talks
Podcastle

I'm dropping the axe on:
 The Adultspace Childfree Podcast (Fisher records her regular talk in both channels, but interviews have her in the left channel and the guest in the right, exclusively ... this vexes me to no end),
and The East Coast Conservative Podcast (poor sound quality combined with not-very-well-coordinated dialogue add up to a show not worth my time ... so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.)

Zathras

Reply #48 on: December 18, 2008, 04:38:57 AM

and The East Coast Conservative Podcast (poor sound quality combined with not-very-well-coordinated dialogue add up to a show not worth my time ... so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.)

I didn't even make it through one episode before cutting it.  Thanks for the Dan Carlin recommendation.  As far as a right-leaning show, you might check out Andrew Wilkow.  I listen to his radio show on Sirius sometimes.  I also enjoyed Jerry Doyle's show when it was on Sirius.  I've been thinking about subscribing, but my plate is pretty full.  He's more libertarian than conservative, though.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 04:54:37 AM

so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.

The Cato Daily Podcast is a principled Libertarian perspective -- I'm not sure if that's what you mean by Conservative or not.  While they seem to do a certain amount of their research in a parallel universe, for me, that's the idea behind listening to a viewpoint I disagree with.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 05:44:42 AM
Thanks for the Dan Carlin recommendation.  As far as a right-leaning show, you might check out Andrew Wilkow.  I listen to his radio show on Sirius sometimes.  I also enjoyed Jerry Doyle's show when it was on Sirius.  I've been thinking about subscribing, but my plate is pretty full.  He's more libertarian than conservative, though.

Jerry "Michael Garabaldi" Doyle?  I had no idea he had a political podcast.  As for what I'm looking for in a "right-leaning" or "conservative" podcast, I'm looking for something by people pretty much on the side of the current administration (the one that's on the outs come next month) ... sort of like FOX News but more grounded in reality and with less vitriol.  Something like the tone of Dani Cutler's podcast but from the other side.  I've already got her for the left and Carlin for the "middle" (if disparaging both sides counts as being "middle").

[edit]
I see that Mr. Doyle's podcast is by pay-subscription only.  I'm not ready to take that step yet.  :(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:47:09 AM by stePH »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 08:33:52 AM

so my search goes on for a right-leaning podcast that I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time; I'm open to suggestions.

The Cato Daily Podcast is a principled Libertarian perspective -- I'm not sure if that's what you mean by Conservative or not.  While they seem to do a certain amount of their research in a parallel universe, for me, that's the idea behind listening to a viewpoint I disagree with.

I don't listen to their podcasts, but I grew up in the DC think tank culture and some of their reports I've read reflect that research-in-parallel universe thing.

stePH, would you say that you are looking for a David Brooks type of conservative? I know he does a weekly session on NPR's All Things Considered against E.J. Dionne, but I'm not aware of him doing any other audio.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

izzardfan

Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 08:49:23 AM
Owner of an 80 GB iPod classic, with 361 unplayed podcasts, totalling 11.7 days:

• Escape Pod (caught up)
• Mr. Diety (faded, probably not coming back; according to Brian Keith Dalton, it IS coming back for a third season, though no date has been set yet)
• New Yorker: Fiction (just subscribed last week, 19 unplayed)
• NPR: Story of the Day (caught up; I delete uninteresting titles without listening)
• NPR: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (caught up)
• Podcastle (12 unplayed caught up)
• PRI: Selected Shorts ([18 unplayed)
• Spider on the Web (48 unplayed)
• Starship Sofa (77 unplayed) - I got into this one because they posted Spider Robinson reading his "Melancholy Elephants", but I really don't like the host's voice, so this one may go.
• Stranger Things TV (caught up) - I was impressed with the first few, but this last one (3 parts) was a poor story.  The production quality is great, but if the story is boring, who cares?
• This American Life (13 unplayed) - I cull this one like NPR SoTD; anything with a boring title gets deleted unplayed.
• Variant Frequencies (82 unplayed) - I subscribed because it was recommended, but haven't listened yet.
• X Minus One (80 unplayed) - Same as VF

I keep up with Escape Pod and both NPRs, and once I get caught up with Podcastle, I'll keep up with it as well.

I keep audiobooks separate, even if they were acquired as podcasts (e.g. Playing for Keeps).  I had read all of the first six Harry Potter books, the last four almost immediately after they were released, but never seemed to find time to get into book seven.  When I realized I was spending a lot more time in my car than before, I bought the audiobook on CDs, ripped it to mp3s and loaded it to my iPod.  It was so much more satisfying, I found, though before the movies come out, I'll read the book (again?).  I, too, love Mur Lafferty's stories, as well as when she reads stories by other authors for EP or PC.

Edit:  changed Mr. Deity and Podcastle

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:31:35 AM by izzardfan »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 02:14:03 PM
stePH, would you say that you are looking for a David Brooks type of conservative? I know he does a weekly session on NPR's All Things Considered against E.J. Dionne, but I'm not aware of him doing any other audio.

Wasn't previously familiar with him, but from what little I've just been able to Google (including an entry at Dickipedia), he seems to fit.  Too bad there's no podcast, but in lieu I suppose I can read his NYT column online.  I also see there are audio clips available at NYT.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #54 on: December 18, 2008, 03:41:01 PM
I just cleared three PolyWeeklys cooking last night, and one Dunesteef this morning.

I recommend AGAINST Andrea Shea-King. She's my friend, and I used to produce her Sunday radio show, but... imagine Ann Coulter as a kind but stern grandmother or aunt. That's Andrea.

I didn't know Doyle had a show either until I checked my old radio station's site. They air him in the overnights.

Mike Gallagher is funny, but a little yelly.

Russell Nash

Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:28 AM
The scythe was at work again.  I cut all three of my song of the day podcasts.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 01:21:58 PM
I'm up to 53 episodes in my queue of the various shows I listen to. However, 12 are Cory Doctorow stories that are evergreen, plus I have the last five months of Nobilis. Cut all that out and I'm not THAT far behind.

When football season's over I get to listen to a lot more.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #57 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:41 AM
Let's see- Some of my more favorite shows podfaded- or finished up, thus no longer sit in my catcher. Here's what's either waiting to be listned to, waiting to be updated, or waiting to be cut

Arcane Tales- still to new to have a good grip on
Christiana's Shallow Thoughts- may well be culled
The Classic Tales- OMG I love this
clonepod
CrimeWav
Dan Carlins Hardcore History- so awesome, he dosn't update often enough
DWO whocast- 'cause I fangirl
The Drabblecast- yay
The Dunsteef Audio Fiction MAgazine
The Escape Trilogy plus Escape Archive
fitmusic
Miettes Bedtime Story- May soon be culled. Her voice is nice, the stories are ofen too lulling and quite literealy will put me to sleep. Not comfie with ear buds in
MOREVI
The Moth
Mur LAfferty presents the Takeover + The Murverse
NPR
Onion News
Pendant Productions- once upon a time in Vegas
The Princeton Review- Vocabulary Minute
The Public Speakers tips
The Radio adventures of Doctor Floyd - so so geeky kid cool
Scott Sigler Audio Books- just got started on these.
Sex is Fun
Spider on the web- just subscribed Thanks Izz!
StarShipSofa- great stories but this mans voice is REALLY hard to listen to.
Steampod
Stuff you should know
Transmissions from Beyond
60 second Psych and 60 second Science.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

izzardfan

Reply #58 on: February 08, 2009, 03:43:21 AM
clonepod

I've listened to all of the flash fiction, all of the Union Dues and two other full-length episodes ("Cold Duty" and "The Last Dog" because it's Mike Resnick).  It's not a high priority for me to listen to these due to the quality (see here for explanation)

Spider on the web- just subscribed Thanks Izz!

You're quite welcome!  He's my second favorite author, after Robert Heinlein.

StarShipSofa- great stories but this mans voice is REALLY hard to listen to.

I know!  This may be one of those where I skip the intros & outros and just listen to the stories.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #59 on: April 08, 2009, 04:10:55 PM
Dan Carlins Hardcore History- so awesome, he dosn't update often enough
Agreed; he seems to be bimonthly with that one now.  Common Sense is more frequent, but still takes around 2 weeks between shows.  Not enough people kicking in for the Ben-a-thons, I guess?

My backlog of unplayed 'casts has grown since I've been unemployed.  I used to take my lunch hour for listening, and sometimes I'd get to listen in the car too.  Now all that's gone, and I only listen occasionally at bedtime, or if I'm doing yardwork (spent a couple of hours weeding yesterday) or grilling some meat on the back deck.

Currently subscribed to (not counting audiobooks):
  • Beatnik Turtle's Song of the Day (because of the mention of the new album on Geo Hrab's podcast)
  • clonepod
  • Common Sense with Dan Carlin
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
  • DWO Whocast
  • Escape Pod
  • Geologic Podcast (shameless Geo fanboy here!)
  • Maximum PC No BS Podcast
  • PC Gamer Podcast
  • Podcastle
  • Pseudopod
  • Sessions with Slau (again because of Geo)
  • Soccergirl, Inc. (can't seem to sustain interest in this one despite various raves)
  • Truth Seekers Podcast
  • Variant Frequencies
  • WNYC's Radio Lab (just added a couple of days ago)

I haven't listened to the last two weeks of EP or PC, and Pseudopod's been languishing a long time (I've been stuck at "Akropolis" forever, and haven't even touched the newer episodes since my aim was to work through the series front-to-back.) 

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #60 on: April 08, 2009, 08:46:26 PM
Izz: as to SSS- depends on the intro. A lot of them get the scrool through, especially when he gets more long winded then usual, but the stories are worth it, almost every time. As to Robinson and Heinlien, if you claim a fondness for hardboiled dective books and/or urban fantasy and I'll be forced to abduct you so we can compare libraries.

Steph, I havn't given Carlins other cast a try yet, I'm willing to give it a go, his passion for his subjects is facinating.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 08:50:30 PM
Steph, I havn't given Carlins other cast a try yet, I'm willing to give it a go, his passion for his subjects is facinating.

I like his manner of speaking; he reminds me of Tom Leykis's show (back in 1993-1994 before it went all lowbrow.)  And it comes out about three or four times more frequently than Hardcore History!  ;D

izzardfan

Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 09:12:00 AM
Izz: as to SSS- depends on the intro. A lot of them get the scrool through, especially when he gets more long winded then usual, but the stories are worth it, almost every time. As to Robinson and Heinlien, if you claim a fondness for hardboiled dective books and/or urban fantasy and I'll be forced to abduct you so we can compare libraries.

Guilty on the detective books, though I'm not sure what qualifies as hardboiled.  I started years ago (even before my science fiction days) with all the Hercule Poirot and a few Miss Marple stories from Agatha Christie.  I'm a huge fan of Isaac Asimov's Tales of the Black Widowers, and I used to enjoy P.D. James, but only those with Adam Dalgliesh, and lately, not even those.  I'm up to N is for Noose in Sue Grafton's series, but have been stuck there for quite a while, as I have been listening to EscapePod and Podcastle instead.  And I'm also a Harry Potter fan, and read all the Vampire Chronicles and Witch books by Anne Rice.

I prefer procedurals on TV (CSI, Bones, NCIS, Eleventh Hour, The Mentalist, Castle--Nathan Fillion, swoon!--, Psych), and science fiction (Doctor Who/Torchwood, Eureka, Fringe, Sanctuary).  I just started recording The Unusuals but haven't watched any yet.  I loved The Middleman and The Dresden Files and hated that they were cancelled.

We're moving next week from Southern California to Oregon so I may miss a few of my favorites en route, but can probably catch up online.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:28:32 AM by izzardfan »

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #63 on: April 10, 2009, 06:05:45 PM
We're moving next week from Southern California to Oregon so I may miss a few of my favorites en route, but can probably catch up online.
Hey, what part of Oregon?  If Portland, you'll have to come 'round and say hi.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #64 on: April 10, 2009, 06:31:10 PM
* More than 15 episodes of Nobilis.
* Two Cory Doctorow podcast novels.
* 1 PP
* 1 AOMS
* 3 Soccergirl
* 4 Ask a Ninja
* 1 Geologic

I think I'm just over 50 total. But I have a long solo drive coming up (ATL -> Asheville NC) so I should be able to clear some of it.

Zathras

Reply #65 on: April 10, 2009, 08:43:34 PM
Recently added a bunch of poker podcasts to my list.  Escape Artists got moved to the back burner, along with some other fiction podcasts.  I didn't finish the last few podcastle stories, so I think I'll wait a while before attempting the latest giant.

I'm working my way through All Strategy (Daniel Negreanu co-hosts).  I'm sampling a few others.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #66 on: April 10, 2009, 08:45:40 PM
As to Robinson and Heinlien, if you claim a fondness for hardboiled dective books and/or urban fantasy and I'll be forced to abduct you so we can compare libraries.

Are you on LibraryThing?  My whole library is entered and viewable as of last night.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #67 on: April 11, 2009, 12:08:15 AM
Steph- I plan on getting on it, is it hard to set up? I have quite a few books..

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #68 on: April 11, 2009, 02:48:01 AM
Steph- I plan on getting on it, is it hard to set up?

Not really.  Register your account, then start plugging in ISBNs if you got 'em, or title/author if not.  Depending on how anal-retentive you are, it might be a bit of a chore to look for the exact matching edition and/or cover, but it's pretty simple.  One thing, you'll have to pay up if you want to enter more than 201 books ($10 per year or $25 for lifetime).

izzardfan

Reply #69 on: April 12, 2009, 06:00:16 AM
Hey, what part of Oregon?  If Portland, you'll have to come 'round and say hi.

Hillsboro, west of Portland.  I think we discussed this in the map folder a while back?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #70 on: April 12, 2009, 06:52:04 AM
Hillsboro, west of Portland.  I think we discussed this in the map folder a while back?
Might have, but I have a memory like a ... what are those leaky things called?

Anyway, Hillsboro is waythehellandgone out west from where I'm at; nearly an hour's drive.  But we'll still be technically neighbors.  :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:52:29 PM by stePH »

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Reply #71 on: April 16, 2009, 05:26:07 PM
17.4 days.

Yeesh.  I don't even get that many vacation and sick days per year combined.

And that doesn't include the roughly 4.4 gigs of downloaded stuff I haven't added to my player yet.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #72 on: October 04, 2013, 04:08:50 PM
Wow, a lot of time has passed. I've got a long commute now since moving out to Cedar Mill, so izzardfan I'm a closer neighbor now if you're still in Hillsboro. But I've culled my podcasts down to what almost fills my commute time - I fill the rest of the time by reading on my r00ted B&N Nook Tablet, "Barnabas".

CURRENT SUBSCRIPTIONS:
The Nerdist (updates 3x weekly, average episode 80 min)
The Indoor Kids (average episode 80 min)
The Geologic Podcast (still)
The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Most of the time this leaves me with no backlog, unless some of the regular podcasts go long or Dan Carlin drops a 4-hour-plus history episode. And I'm thinking of dropping the axe on The Indoor Kids, since I don't play most of the games they talk about - but I just enjoy listening to Kumail and Emily, and usually Jordan as well.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #73 on: October 04, 2013, 04:18:51 PM
...also raving_lunatic, I started putting music on my iPod and listening to it at work a few years back, and upgraded to a 8GiB Nano 3rd-gen (no Radiohead though, sorry  ;) )
But that's been demoted to a strictly-podcast device again, as I now use Barnabas at work for music playing - a 32GiB micro-SD card (the largest a Nook Tablet can handle) plus Rocket Player for Android gives me 4x more album-shuffling goodness than Rover II did.