Author Topic: story text  (Read 4948 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: April 16, 2008, 09:06:41 PM
i don't know what the copyright restrictions are but a link to the text version of a story would be very useful in discussion threads.

maybe if it has been previously published online we could link to that?

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:08:35 PM
That would be the link that says "Previously published in…"

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:17:15 PM
I've tried to find the story texts for the stories in Podcastle, but if it's not in the first 10 results in google, well, I usually give up.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:16:03 PM
Quote from: Russell Nash

ah, cool. that link only ever took me to the publication's page before but i've found one that links to the actual story. i guess that means that the vast majority of the stories don't have a publicly free version of the text available.

if anyone knows and doesn't mind taking a little time to explain, what difference in copyright/price is there to acquire online text as well?

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:22:49 PM
Quote from: Russell Nash

ah, cool. that link only ever took me to the publication's page before but i've found one that links to the actual story. i guess that means that the vast majority of the stories don't have a publicly free version of the text available.

if anyone knows and doesn't mind taking a little time to explain, what difference in copyright/price is there to acquire online text as well?

Problem with the internet publishing thing is that it's a theoretical infinite number of copies, which drives the price up. And it's hard to calculate royalties, especially with short-fiction where it's usually a flat fee. Also it can drive down the next sale value if someone wants it for an anthology or magazine.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:48:27 AM
PodCastle stories that I know of having a text version online:

Come Lady Death - sci fiction - http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/beagle/beagle1.html
Stone Born - never previously published, so no online free version, but logged in users can see a previous draft in the contest thread
For Fear of Dragons - probably not
Run of the Fiery Horse - probably not
Giant - on lone star stories
Goosegirl - I think deflective (thanks!) already picked this one up

Our next three stories all have online text versions. I'll try to remember to link them, or if I don't, Heradel can. (Thanks.)