Author Topic: EP154: Union Dues - Freedom With a Small f  (Read 53112 times)

ChiliFan

• Palmer
Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 03:04:27 AM
I don't know what was the point of the main character being a poledancer/lapdancer. The description of her flat was very depressing. It seemed she only had a radio, no TV, or anything else. I kept asking myself what year the story was supposed to be set in. I was also very surprised by the prices at the laundrette.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 03:36:43 AM
As for relating to the characters, well... I suspect that Russell isn't telling us everything.  Take American Beauty, for example; I'm sure Russell was only telling Kevin Spacey's character "don't do that" AFTER the opening scene*, when he was likely saying, "Hey, I do that!"

*This is only funny if you've seen the movie.  Quote Spoiler: The opening scene shows Spacey's character, Lester, showering, with the voiceover: "Look at me, jerking off in the shower... This will be the high point of my day; it's all downhill from here."

Spoiler response:I guess you repulse even yourself too much to do that. 

Touché.... say, what's that you're dueling with?  Ewww!!   :o

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 03:32:26 PM
I don't know what was the point of the main character being a poledancer/lapdancer. The description of her flat was very depressing. It seemed she only had a radio, no TV, or anything else. I kept asking myself what year the story was supposed to be set in. I was also very surprised by the prices at the laundrette.

I believe U.D. is near-future (5-10 years ahead of now).  But the author could probably answer that better.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 03:34:06 PM
I didn't understand the leap of logic Crimson made to know how the cop knew something, but I attributed it to either something I missed or some latent power of hers. It didn't bother me enough to take me out of the story, though.

She took a guess, literally.

Aww, see, now you totally spoiled the tangent I was going to throw in about how maybe Crimson has some latent low-grade empathy/telepathy.  But then I was going to say how much that ruined the Anita Blake series, about how every story she seems to get a new superpower.  So I was going to tangent and detangent myself, basically.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #79 on: April 26, 2008, 06:36:32 AM
Just a brief note: the story was rated 'R' (and quite rightly so) but there was no warning before the story started. Murphy must have had a giggle, because I did have the kids in the car when I listened to it! My ten year old was thanked me for turning the iPod off after Josie took Diamond Ring into the bathroom.

Of course, that's as bad as it got, but I certainly failed the WWMM-i-LS ('What Would My Mother-in-Law Say') test.

Ray Shaw

• Extern
Reply #80 on: April 30, 2008, 10:38:07 PM
I think I've listened to all the Union Dues stories that have been featured on Escape Pod, and really enjoying the developing universe.  It's kind of like X-Men if they had evolved in Frank Miller's Sin City.  Every organization is corrupt and looking out for themselves, and the only difference between bad and good is how many innocent people they're willing to destroy to build their power.  If you look at Sports franchises, you don't have to exaggerate too far to get the Union.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 01:20:02 AM
I think I've listened to all the Union Dues stories that have been featured on Escape Pod, and really enjoying the developing universe.  It's kind of like X-Men if they had evolved in Frank Miller's Sin City.  Every organization is corrupt and looking out for themselves, and the only difference between bad and good is how many innocent people they're willing to destroy to build their power.  If you look at Sports franchises, you don't have to exaggerate too far to get the Union.

Ray, I want to tell you the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your name was "perhaps you'd like to pass the time by playing a little solitaire?"

Thanks for the compliment too! :)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #82 on: May 01, 2008, 07:41:12 PM
Hands down my favorite Union Dues story ever. It does an excellent job of revealing the heartless ruthlessness at the core of the Union and the victims the Union leaves in it's wake. The concept of a person who is both a cocaine-snorting alcoholic and a heroine gifted with superpowers is quite compelling as well.

Thanks for this, looking forward to more.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:49:12 PM by Talia »

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #83 on: May 01, 2008, 08:04:58 PM
Hands down my favorite Union Dues story ever. It does an excellent job of revealing the heartless ruthlessness at the core of the Union and the victims the Union leaves in it's wake. The concept of a person who is both a cocaine-snorting alcoholic and a heroine gifted with superpowers is quite compelling as well.

Thanks for this, looking forward to more.

Thanks Talia! I am thrilled you dug it :)

ShadowMatt

• Extern
    • Hire Matt Web Studio
Reply #84 on: May 01, 2008, 11:56:18 PM
The story was dark, and that's why it is beloved (by us fans). I personally liked how the whole world is dark and hard. Maybe the Union is the best one can hope for in a world where city cops kidnap babies to win contract negotiations. All of these stories have hinted that the world is a bit "off"

To answer a previous post, the Village is a prison. According to "Off White Lies"...

http://cdn1.libsyn.com/escapepod/EP049_OffWhiteLies.mp3
"It was unquestionably a prison" says the narrator...

Once you've manifested powers and you're found out you have two choices:
1. Join The Union and deal with their crap or
2. Go to prison (The Village). Only one exists now, but more are being built.

If you haven't listened to "Off White Lies," or it's been awhile, listen to it again. For those of you with weak stomach, there's no strippers here.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #85 on: May 02, 2008, 02:13:06 AM
The story was dark, and that's why it is beloved (by us fans). I personally liked how the whole world is dark and hard. Maybe the Union is the best one can hope for in a world where city cops kidnap babies to win contract negotiations. All of these stories have hinted that the world is a bit "off"

To answer a previous post, the Village is a prison. According to "Off White Lies"...

http://cdn1.libsyn.com/escapepod/EP049_OffWhiteLies.mp3
"It was unquestionably a prison" says the narrator...

Once you've manifested powers and you're found out you have two choices:
1. Join The Union and deal with their crap or
2. Go to prison (The Village). Only one exists now, but more are being built.

If you haven't listened to "Off White Lies," or it's been awhile, listen to it again. For those of you with weak stomach, there's no strippers here.

Aw... you're lego-head avatar is way cooler than mine!  :'(   

And, Jeff... is it too late to change my vote about the T-Shirt?  It would greatly complement my wife's "I make people... what's your superpower" shirt.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Lagbert

• Extern
Reply #86 on: May 04, 2008, 08:16:38 AM
Freedom with a small f reinforces the notion that the super heroes are slaves to the union.  Jeff, when do we get to see the resistance and the underground?  Don't make me write fan fiction!

Shotobouv

• Extern
Reply #87 on: May 04, 2008, 04:40:41 PM
Excellent ending, just the right kind of "oof", in the gut. Totally addicted to the Union Dues.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #88 on: July 21, 2008, 08:54:27 PM
Just a note:

I just saw a trailer for the forthcoming movie "Watchmen," and the look of it is exactly how I had pictured the Union Dues stories.  Cool, slick, futuristic.  Dreary, sad, scary.  People who seem to know their crazy outfits are silly but where them out of a sense of super-conformitarianism.

That's all.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #89 on: July 22, 2008, 01:16:32 PM
Just a note:

I just saw a trailer for the forthcoming movie "Watchmen," and the look of it is exactly how I had pictured the Union Dues stories.  Cool, slick, futuristic.  Dreary, sad, scary.  People who seem to know their crazy outfits are silly but where them out of a sense of super-conformitarianism.

Have you read the comic?  It's a true classic of the genre.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #90 on: July 22, 2008, 06:40:26 PM

Yes, but don't make my mistake.  In college, when I first decided to give comics a chance, I read Watchmen first, followed by the entire Sandman series.  And then assumed most other stuff would be just as good.

The trouble with starting at the top like that is that there's nowhere higher to go.  It's a bit like saying, "Hmmm, I'd like to give Sotch a chance," starting with a Macallan 25 year, and then asking for comparable single malts at the corner bar.

I have found plenty of other comics I've enjoyed immensely.  Busiek's Astro City is amazing.  I've read the first Y: The Last Man collection and am desperate for more.  There's great stuff out there.  ...But dammit.  I'll never get a chance to read Watchmen or Sandman again for the first time.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #91 on: July 22, 2008, 06:52:12 PM

Yes, but don't make my mistake.  In college, when I first decided to give comics a chance, I read Watchmen first, followed by the entire Sandman series.  And then assumed most other stuff would be just as good.

The trouble with starting at the top like that is that there's nowhere higher to go.  It's a bit like saying, "Hmmm, I'd like to give Sotch a chance," starting with a Macallan 25 year, and then asking for comparable single malts at the corner bar.

I have found plenty of other comics I've enjoyed immensely.  Busiek's Astro City is amazing.  I've read the first Y: The Last Man collection and am desperate for more.  There's great stuff out there.  ...But dammit.  I'll never get a chance to read Watchmen or Sandman again for the first time.

I also recommend The Incal by Jodorowsky & Moebius ... though acquiring it can be a challenge.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #92 on: July 22, 2008, 06:56:44 PM
I also recommend The Incal by Jodorowsky & Moebius ... though acquiring it can be a challenge.

Duly noted.  I'd never heard of it, but by the descriptions I just looked up it sounds pretty spiffy.  Thanks.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #93 on: July 22, 2008, 09:02:55 PM

Duly noted.  I'd never heard of it, but by the descriptions I just looked up it sounds pretty spiffy.  Thanks.

Be advised that I refer only to the primary, original story -- I can't speak to the quality of "Avant l'Incal" or "Apres l'Incal" because I haven't read them.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #94 on: July 23, 2008, 05:02:41 AM
Are the Union Dues stories available in book form???  As much as I enjoy the podcasts, I find I comprehend and retain stories better when I read them.   I really liked this story, if "like" is an appropriate word for a story that's so disturbing.  I heard another Union Dues story on ClonePod that I enjoyed a lot too.  I'd love to read more of these stories.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #95 on: July 23, 2008, 12:59:56 PM
Are the Union Dues stories available in book form???  As much as I enjoy the podcasts, I find I comprehend and retain stories better when I read them.   I really liked this story, if "like" is an appropriate word for a story that's so disturbing.  I heard another Union Dues story on ClonePod that I enjoyed a lot too.  I'd love to read more of these stories.

I'd much rather read "The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro" myself than listen to the Clonepod reading again (I'm in the apparent "minority of one" that hated the reading).  But I also agree that these stories would be good to have anthologized on paper.  Maybe once the Team Shikaragaki arc is completed, Mr. DeRego?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #96 on: July 23, 2008, 01:40:15 PM

I'd much rather read "The Ballad of Kitty Momoiro" myself than listen to the Clonepod reading again (I'm in the apparent "minority of one" that hated the reading).  But I also agree that these stories would be good to have anthologized on paper.  Maybe once the Team Shikaragaki arc is completed, Mr. DeRego?

The best thing you guys could do to help get these on paper is send requests for the stories to Swarm Publishing, the same guys who have the rights to Brave Men Run and Playing for Keeps at the moment. They requested a submissions packet from me in April, but due to those other releases they haven't made a decision. Getting a couple of mails from fans of the series might help them decide faster (or something).

Also -

StePH, check your PM box.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #97 on: July 26, 2008, 03:29:56 AM

The best thing you guys could do to help get these on paper is send requests for the stories to Swarm Publishing, the same guys who have the rights to Brave Men Run and Playing for Keeps at the moment. They requested a submissions packet from me in April, but due to those other releases they haven't made a decision. Getting a couple of mails from fans of the series might help them decide faster (or something).

Done.

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #98 on: July 26, 2008, 03:41:48 AM

Done.

Very cool! Thanks! If anything happens, I'll let you guys know either way if they want the stories.

smithmikeg

• Extern
    • Life Without Robots
Reply #99 on: July 26, 2008, 05:53:24 AM
Does anyone else who subscribes via iTunes miss this episode?

quia ego sic dico