Author Topic: PC718: Memoirs of a Magic Mirror  (Read 664 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 18, 2022, 07:42:06 PM
PodCastle 718: Memoirs of a Magic Mirror

Author: Julia Knowles
Narrator: A.J. Fitzwater
Host: Matt Dovey
Audio Producer: Peter Adrian Behravesh

PodCastle 718: Memoirs of a Magic Mirror is a PodCastle original.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated PG-13

It started when three magicians, two fairies, a couple of wizards, a witch, and one very drunken sage decided it was a good idea to give consciousness to a mirror that had to answer any question truthfully. Personally, I blame the alcohol.

The sage ended up keeping me. Maybe the others had worked out that something that can only speak the truth and is compelled to answer every question it hears might not be the best house guest. All things considered, the sage coped with my presence admirably. Perhaps he liked having someone who could also ramble about the metaphysical considerations inherent in being an insignificant speck in a vast and uncaring world from time to time.

It wasn’t so bad. Even if it was only one person, with the sage I always had company. After he died I was forgotten in storage for a few decades before one of his descendants sold me off. From there I was passed between the wealthy and privileged — who had varying levels of interest in the knowledge I offered — for generations.

But I suppose the long lineage of my possession isn’t terribly relevant to this tale. Suffice to say that eventually an ageing duke saw fit to pass me on to his great-niece as a wedding present. Which, with the benefit of hindsight, was a stellar example of the old saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

Lucie

• Extern
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 09:29:36 PM
I really liked this one! Both the story and the reading.