Author Topic: The Hugos are Here! THE HUGOs ARE HERE!!!!!!!  (Read 14650 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 04:29:09 PM
Yeah, it does seem like a loophole the way that reads.  Actually, an EP original could be up for both categories!  How cool would that be?

If enough people nominate an audio story (that meets all other critera) for a Best Story award, the hand wringing, hair pulling and arguments will be highly amusing.

Couldn't be any worse than the Star Trek fan episode getting nominated for a Nebula, could it?  The outcry for that was amusing to read.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 05:05:46 PM
Yeah, it does seem like a loophole the way that reads.  Actually, an EP original could be up for both categories!  How cool would that be?

If enough people nominate an audio story (that meets all other critera) for a Best Story award, the hand wringing, hair pulling and arguments will be highly amusing.

Couldn't be any worse than the Star Trek fan episode getting nominated for a Nebula, could it?  The outcry for that was amusing to read.

Wasn't there some stink about Gaiman's Sandman issue "A Midsummer Night's Dream" winning "best story" or sumsuch, and resulting in comic books being thereafter banned from the category?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 05:32:32 PM
Yeah, it won a World Fantasy Award in 1991 and from what I remember reading, they changed the rule the night it won, or the night after. 

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 04:55:52 AM

Wasn't there some stink about Gaiman's Sandman issue "A Midsummer Night's Dream" winning "best story" or sumsuch, and resulting in comic books being thereafter banned from the category?

Were they actually banned, or just given their own category to compete in? Seperate categories make sense to me -- I won't argue that graphic novels are "better" or "worse" than their text-only counterparts, just that they're different enough that it's hard to make a meaningful comparison. 

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 05:22:18 AM

Were they actually banned, or just given their own category to compete in?

How is that not being "banned from the category"?

Anyway, you got me curious enough to go back and look it up.  From Wikipedia:

The Sandman issue #19 "A Midsummer Night's Dream" won the World Fantasy Award in 1991 for Best Short Fiction. The following morning, the rules of the award were changed to ensure no other comics could get that award.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:25:57 AM by stePH »

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: June 07, 2008, 05:36:50 AM

Were they actually banned, or just given their own category to compete in?

How is that not being "banned from the category"?

Anyway, you got me curious enough to go back and look it up.  From Wikipedia:

The Sandman issue #19 "A Midsummer Night's Dream" won the World Fantasy Award in 1991 for Best Short Fiction. The following morning, the rules of the award were changed to ensure no other comics could get that award.

Is there a World Fantasy Award category for "Best Graphic Novel" or some such? Or are comics shut out of the World Fantasy Awards completely?  The former makes sense to me, for pretty much the same reasons that TV shows don't usually compete with short stories -- it's just too hard to make meaningful comparisons across forms.  The latter sounds like somebody's misplaced concept of genre dignity, or something...

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 01:14:23 PM
From Wikipedia:

Is there a World Fantasy Award category for "Best Graphic Novel" or some such? Or are comics shut out of the World Fantasy Awards completely? 

Unknown, but a fair question.  The Wikipedia entry obviously does not specify whether "that award" means the World Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction, or the World Fantasy Award in general.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:14 AM
From Wikipedia:

Is there a World Fantasy Award category for "Best Graphic Novel" or some such? Or are comics shut out of the World Fantasy Awards completely? 

Unknown, but a fair question.  The Wikipedia entry obviously does not specify whether "that award" means the World Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction, or the World Fantasy Award in general.

Looks like comics/graphic novels/magna don't get a category of their own, which seems odd.  At least, there was nothing on the 2007 ballot on shown on the WFC Web site. 

Actually, the whole structure seems odd.  There's categories based on length of written work, but nothing for visual media -- movies, individual artwork, TV, etc.  I'd say, "OK, it's a purely literary thing" -- like the Academy Awards not doing television or the Emmy Awards not doing movies -- except that they have an award for "Artist."  Strange...

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 04:43:31 AM

Sounds like it's time for us to start submitting journalistic pieces about "podcasting phenomena in the sci-fi markets" to our favorite print mags.

I just meant that we should start doing the fan-push kind of thing.  Not in a "harrassing, stalkerly" sort of way, but in an endearingly enthusiastic "Bring Back Firefly" sort of way.

Write to your congressman, and donate copies of the archive CDs to your local library (which is running into some kind of bureaucratic snag here in Maryland).

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 01:50:48 PM

Sounds like it's time for us to start submitting journalistic pieces about "podcasting phenomena in the sci-fi markets" to our favorite print mags.

I just meant that we should start doing the fan-push kind of thing.  Not in a "harrassing, stalkerly" sort of way, but in an endearingly enthusiastic "Bring Back Firefly" sort of way.

Write to your congressman, and donate copies of the archive CDs to your local library (which is running into some kind of bureaucratic snag here in Maryland).

I wrote to my congresscritter when Babylon 5 was in peril of not being renewed for the fifth season.  I was never a Firefly fan though, so I never wrote to my congresscritter about it.