Author Topic: CoW Ep. 494: The Day I Didn’t Get a Pet Nebula  (Read 771 times)

Languorous Lass

on: May 19, 2022, 03:08:54 AM
Cast of Wonders 494: The Day I Didn’t Get a Pet Nebula

• Author: Effie Seiberg
• Narrator: Alethea Kontis
• Host: Amy Brennan
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter

"The Day I Didn’t Get a Pet Nebula" was previously published by The Drabblecast, April 16, 2021.

Click here to listen to Episode 494

On the day I turned nine, I didn’t get a pet nebula.

I’d really really wanted one, just like the one Shelly had. And I’d been talking about it FOR-EVER, so Dad could have the time to save up for the one in the pawn shop, and I’m not usually patient enough to talk about anything that long. I told him how responsible I was and how I could take it for walks and trim its dust wisps and everything. I made him breakfast when he got home from his shift a bunch of times, and even did the dishes after to prove how responsible I was.

“C’mon kiddo, you know that’s not possible,” he’d said, ten rotation cycles before my birthday. We were at the wobbly kitchen table and he was helping me with my physics homework after dinner, so everything still smelled like tacos with neutron star shavings and spray cheese. The chapter was all about distortions of spacetime, cosmic strings and black holes and whatnot. He leaned his head on one tentacle, like he was too tired to hold it up on its own. Even his work shirt looked tired, like the frayed thin patches were struggling to hold his tentacles in. “A pet nebula isn’t happening.”

Tags:  Alethea Kontis, Amy Brennan, astrophysics, birthday, Effie Seiberg, family, Jeremy Carter, moon, peer pressure, pets, responsibility, space, time travel, weird physics, whimsical,  young adult fiction

rocklobster

• Extern
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 11:42:17 PM
I thought the reader did an excellent job! She sounded like a bratty child who didn't get a pony!