Author Topic: At long last, it's time for reading and voting to begin!  (Read 2436 times)

Languorous Lass

We know you've been waiting, and now it's time for the next phase of the Cast of Wonders Flash Fiction Contest:  the reading-and-voting phase! 

We apologize that it's taken so long to get to this point.  We had planned to open this phase of the contest on October 2, but for some reason understood only by the Escape Artists technical staff, we had technical difficulties with the Forum that forced us to delay until now.  Big thanks to our technical staff (and some other folks who pitched in) for working things out!

We received a total of 113 stories that met the contest criteria.  They'll be posted for voting in one of a dozen groups.  Five groups will contain ten stories each, and seven groups will contain nine stories each.  The stories for each group were chosen randomly by computer.  The authors have not been notified about which group their stories will appear in. 

Groups will be posted every other day.  Each group will be open for voting for one week.  Only Forum members who have made at least one post in the Forum will be able to see the stories and vote.  (If you need to make a post, feel free to introduce yourself in this thread.)

Traditionally, Escape Artists flash fiction contests have welcomed helpful comments on and discussions of the stories.  In a recent Escape Pod contest, a Forum member asked:  "What kind of feedback do contest participants want on their stories?"  The answers were illuminating -- so much so that I recommend you read the thread (here) before commenting. 

Please keep a couple of other things in mind when you're drafting your comments on stories.  First, although we encourage discussions (including disagreements), all discussions should be conducted according to The One Rule To Rule Them All (Maybe Two) of the EA Forums.  The short version:  Be civil and respectful.  Click on the link for the long version, including details and examples. 

Second, Cast of Wonders is a young adult fiction podcast.  As a result, our contests tend to draw more submissions from young authors -- some as young as 12, or even younger.  So, even more than in other contests, it's particularly important to keep your comments constructive. 

About voting:  Members will be able to vote for up to three stories in each group (but can always vote for fewer than three).  Once each member casts a vote on the stories in a particular group, they will be able to see the vote totals on the stories in that group.  Personally, I think this method heightens the excitement of a contest. 

If you are sharing a computer, living space, or router with someone else who will be voting or creating an account, make sure to message me on the Forum and let me know.  Failure to do so may lead us to believe that you're trying to cheat, and could result in various adverse effects such as account deletion and/or banning.

At the end of the voting period for each group in Round 1, the top three vote-getters will move on to the second, semi-final round.  We expect to have four groups of nine stories in that second round.  Again, members will have the chance to vote for their three favorites in each semi-final group.  The top three stories from each group in the semi-finals will move on to the final round.

Initially, stories will be posted anonymously.  Authors of the stories that do not advance to the next round will be revealed at the end of each round.  All author names will be revealed at the end of the contest. Please do not try to publicly guess the identities of the authors. Any posts containing such guesses will be deleted and the poster will be warned. 

So get ready, because the door is opening and it's just about time for the contest to begin!

Languorous Lass

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 03:25:02 AM
Can everyone (who's a Forum member) see the stories in Group 1?  I'm new to this aspect of Forum administration, and I want to make sure I've set the permissions correctly.

MBarnicle

• Matross
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 03:26:12 AM
Can everyone (who's a Forum member) see the stories in Group 1?  I'm new to this aspect of Forum administration, and I want to make sure I've set the permissions correctly.
Looks good here!

Languorous Lass

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:27:28 AM
Thanks, Madeline!  Good to know!

cat_weav

• Extern
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 04:13:43 AM

I don't know where to find Group 1. How do I get there from here?

Languorous Lass

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 04:17:09 AM
Hi Cat -- good question!  Go up to the "Flash Fiction Contest VII -- Cast of Wonders" heading, and you should be able to see Group 1.  If not, come back and let us know!

dyslogistic

• Extern
  • writer, narrator, anthology editor
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 05:00:15 AM
New here, and looking forward to reading the contest stories.

DanPeacock

• Extern
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 11:02:54 AM
"At the end of the voting period for each group in Round 1, the top three vote-getters will move on to the second, semi-final round."

What happens in the event of ties? I know it's early days, but at the time of writing there is a six-way tie for second place in Group 1  ;D

alexyquest

• Extern
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 11:58:59 AM
I'm new here, excited to read the stories!  8)

Languorous Lass

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 12:44:55 PM
"At the end of the voting period for each group in Round 1, the top three vote-getters will move on to the second, semi-final round."

What happens in the event of ties? I know it's early days, but at the time of writing there is a six-way tie for second place in Group 1  ;D

An entirely reasonable question, Dan!  It depends on the number of tied stories and which place they’re tied for.  For instance, if there’s a three-way tie for first place, all three stories will move on to the next round.  If there’s a three-way tie for second place, or a two-way tie for third place, we’ll simply have four stories from that group move to the next round.  Any more than that, and we’ll have a tiebreaker round.   Does that make sense?

DanPeacock

• Extern
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 01:07:50 PM
Makes perfect sense!

ScribbleJotter

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2022, 01:15:31 PM
I'll set up the twitters and face thing to announce each group opening and closing dates :)

Liam

• Lochage
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2022, 07:11:28 PM
For those taking part for the first time, it can feel a little daunting, so many stories! 113! A few readers will do the AMAZING job of reading (and commenting on) them all, others, like me, will dip in. I like to give stories that might be slipping between the cracks, either in reviews, or readings, a look. And I also know from past flash contests that there is a drop off as the contest progresses, so I'll save some powder for later divisions. But I won't vote unless I read a whole division. Let's see how many I manage!

Da Frog

• Extern
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 12:37:59 AM
I am not able to see group one. Help!

Da Frog

Da Frog

• Extern
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 12:39:16 AM
Never mind. As soon as I posted my previous remark, the link appeared. Magic!

Da Frog

PGStreeter

• Extern
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 10:25:23 PM
Hi! Very excited to join this forum and be a part of this contest reading and voting process (provided I can figure out how to navigate all of this)! Glad things are working and the contest is officially underway.

P.G.

tombstonesoda

• Extern
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 11:36:02 PM
I cannot see Group 2

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 11:42:50 PM

Not the droid you're looking for.

tombstonesoda

• Extern
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 11:50:12 PM
Yes, thank you!

errorwrites

• Extern
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2022, 09:41:26 AM
New here, looking forward to the flash stories!

astrokath

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2022, 09:00:46 PM
Welcome, and happy reading! It's always really hard to narrow it down to just three in each group.

tombstonesoda

• Extern
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2022, 09:18:40 PM
I cannot see Group 4

sassylittleimp

• Palmer
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2022, 10:53:16 PM
Same. Just saw on Twitter that group 4 is up, but it’s not showing for me.

mnwxy

• Extern
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2022, 02:31:29 AM
I also cannot see group 4.

Languorous Lass

Reply #24 on: November 09, 2022, 06:36:34 AM
Sorry, folks -- I'm still learning the technical end.  Can you see Group 4 now?

mnwxy

• Extern
Reply #25 on: November 09, 2022, 02:28:47 PM
Yep!

tombstonesoda

• Extern
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2022, 06:50:46 PM
I can see it, thank you!

Languorous Lass

Reply #27 on: November 10, 2022, 06:32:15 PM
Thanks!

astrokath

Reply #28 on: November 19, 2022, 12:23:30 PM
How are we on group 9 already? It's going so fast!

aleks

• Extern
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2022, 11:05:27 PM
Mhm! Contest is flying by. And so many of the groups have been very very close.

Languorous Lass

Reply #30 on: November 21, 2022, 04:16:55 AM
I expect the semi-finals to be even tougher!