Author Topic: PC761: INDIGENOUS MAGIC – The Bone Pickers  (Read 659 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: November 20, 2022, 11:35:47 PM
PodCastle 761: INDIGENOUS MAGIC – The Bone Pickers

Author: Kelsey Hutton
Narrator: Laurie McDougall
Host: Sofía Barker
Audio Producer: Eric Valdes

PodCastle 761: INDIGENOUS MAGIC – The Bone Pickers is a PodCastle original.

---

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Rated PG

My last day picking buffalo bones, stooping and flinging and splintering tibia among the tall grass, was the day I lost the smell of freshly tanned leather.

The buffalo gave us so many gifts, but the finished hides were my favourite. Rich and musky-smelling, hair scraped off, with only the hide left — I remember one side was always slightly glossier than the other. Soft, supple, broken in. Ready for a skilled seamstress to transform into intricately embroidered moccasins, leggings, vests, a thousand beautiful things.

Or, there were the great shaggy buffalo robes my parents used to roll us children up in at night, tucked safely into our corner of the cabin to sleep. Those were large enough I could lie down in the middle, fan my arms and legs out like a great grey owl descending on its prey, and still not touch the edges. First thing in the morning, or last thing at night, I remember closing my eyes and inhaling huge swelling lungfuls of the scent left behind by the great animals, lii bufloo, who lived alongside us. Whose lives were twined so intimately with ours.

And of course, there were the herds themselves. As many as there were seeds in the spring, as there were stones in the riverbed. On the first day of the fall hunt, we could follow their smell more surely even than their hoofbeats. Kneeling beside a freshly killed cow, grown fat on sweet summer clover, I would bury my fingers deep in her shaggy ruff. Curled up in the warmth still emanating from her massive form, I breathed in my thanks.

These were the things I still let myself remember, around and in between the spitting-grease-hot memories of my parents, my brothers, my sisters. Those ones I never touched.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!