Author Topic: PC762: INDIGENOUS MAGIC – The Witching Hour  (Read 727 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: November 25, 2022, 02:05:17 AM
PodCastle 762: INDIGENOUS MAGIC – The Witching Hour

Author: Oghenechovwe Donald Ekpeki
Narrator: Shingai Njeri Kagunda
Host: Matt Dovey
Audio Producer: Devin Martin

Previously published by Cosmic Roots and Eldritch Shores

---

Show Notes
Rated PG-13

I stood balanced at the top of the oldest palm tree, the one that grew at the south end of the village. I was in my element — pitch-black night. This was my dawn. The murmurs of glowing spirits mixed with the chitter of living insects.

The hoot of an owl reminded me there was work to be done, battles to be fought — silent, undeclared, but raging all the same. And old Mama Ishaka was on the other side of them. With a sigh, I leapt from the tree, fell free, and caught one of the power lines that led to a human spirit. The link was strong. The call of this spirit sang the music of its soul to me. It called me back home.

We sat in my hut, bare as it was, Ejiro and I, on the even barer floor. The kerosene lamp hung from a nail on the wall, its flickering yellow light the only illumination. I didn’t need much, being a creature of the night.

I had chosen my apprentice for her goodness. Shy and quiet, she was my sister’s child. Like other old-world witches I was glad to recruit from family, where they were cut closest to us. Blood was more than just a symbol.

She was still learning to manoeuvre the delicate currents of the other side.

I rubbed the ori ointment on her eyes to ease the transition and make visible the other realm — the beauty of it along with the denizens that drive normals mad with fright. We moved freely among it all — the souls of sleeping humans, shining shapeshifters, headless spirits drifting along upside down.

I took hold of her hands and invoked the deep black sleep that let us travel to the other side. Our bodies slumped, and we passed over. We floated, translucent and unbound by gravity. We had power in this state. A power that was intoxicating.

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!