Author Topic: PC763: INDIGENOUS MAGIC – Dying Rivers and Broken Hearts  (Read 653 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
PodCastle 763: INDIGENOUS MAGIC – Dying Rivers and Broken Hearts

Author: Gabriella Buba
Narrator: Vida Cruz-Borja
Host: Matt Dovey
Audio Producer: Eric Valdes

Previously published by Strange Religion: Speculative Fiction of Spirituality, Belief, & Practice (Strange Concepts: Big Ideas Explored Through Speculative Fiction)

---

Show Notes
Rated PG-13

Manila, Philippines, 1936

Maria-Lucia had failed.

In her hand, a freshly struck agimat burned. The copper amulet pressed with the image of the Virgin Mary was hot with the power the coven had gathered from the full moon. Golden light streamed between her clenched fingers.

All eyes were on her, as her first meeting as leader of the Mallari witches after the death of her husband came to a close. The full moon sank into the black waters of Manila bay.

Pasig, the sea-dragon of Manila Bay, had not come to renew her pact with the Mallari Witches, nor to accept Maria-Lucia as their new leader. The dragon went by many names. She was a bakunawa to the sailors from Cebu. In Manila she was a laho, the moon chaser.

“Is it because of me?” Maria silently asked her witch-heart Lucia, “Because I’m not truly a Mallari Witch — only married-in?”

Lucia, normally euphoric after soaking up moonlight and magic with her coven, was hesitant. “I don’t know. She’s come to our call before, why not now?”

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!