Author Topic: PC764-765: The Science and Artistry of Snake Oil Salesmanship  (Read 704 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
PodCastle 764: The Science and Artistry of Snake Oil Salesmanship – Part 1

Author: Timothy Mudie
Narrator: Jairus Durnett
Host: Matt Dovey
Audio Producer: Eric Valdes

Previously published by Beneath Ceaseless Skies

---

Show Notes
Rated PG-13The soundtrack featured in this story was composed by our audio engineer Eric Valdes 

Aloysius P. McNutt arrives in town one-and-a-half days after the snake, as per usual. Earlier would be too suspicious, and later risks that the settlers will have attacked the snake themselves, which simply won’t do. Aloysius needs to sell the snake oil to them, which he can’t lay claim to unless he slays the snake himself.

He grins lopsidedly as he sidles into the saloon. “Hear you got yourselves a snake problem.” In these settlements out in the territories, the heart of the community tends toward the saloon or the church, and Al has made a quick presumption that these aren’t a particularly churchly folk.

Rough men and a lesser number of equally rough women line the bar and circle the tables. Clusters of prospectors and farmers sip brandy and rye and harsher libations. All lift their heads in Al’s direction when he pushes through the doors and declaims his customary opening. None respond.

Al is wondering if maybe he should have tried the church after all when a man in a beaten hat wearily pushes himself from the bar. Maybe twice Al’s twenty-nine years, with eyes half again as old, this is a man who’s lived more than most. Despite the drink and the day’s problems weighing on him, the man carries himself with the posture of a lawman. This is Al’s mark. He strides across the room, ignoring the following eyes, and extends his hand in the man’s direction.

“I know a sheriff when I see one,” he says. “Pleasure to make your acquaintance, sir. Aloysius P. McNutt, at your service. But I recommend you call me Al. All my friends do, and I’ve a premonition that we’re to be fast friends, you and I.”

Listen to this week's PodCastle.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!