Author Topic: Independance day  (Read 18878 times)

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
on: May 14, 2008, 11:59:19 PM
I was watching it and was just wondering if anyone knew what the movie they are watching in the trailer park was the only line it shows is

" We have created a race of robots their function..." Static from here

just wondering if that was a real movie or if it was just a line that they used for a plot thing in the movie

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

I am not sure if Life is passing me by or running me over

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:33:55 AM

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:41:42 AM

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:55:01 AM
thanks

Overconfidence - Before you attempt to beat the odds, be sure you could survive the odds beating you.

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:46:36 PM
The scene from the Day The Earth Stood Still was the alien explaining how they could destroy the world.  A rather fitting choice.  Probably the smartest thing in that whole lousy movie(ID not TDTESS).

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:19:00 PM
The scene from the Day The Earth Stood Still was the alien explaining how they could destroy the world.  A rather fitting choice.  Probably the smartest thing in that whole lousy movie(ID not TDTESS).

Agreed. 

Quote from:  Independece Day
President Thomas Whitmore: Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
[crowd cheers]

Darwinist pukes.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:27:01 PM

Agreed. 

Quote from:  Independece Day
President Thomas Whitmore: Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
[crowd cheers]

Darwinist pukes.

From my Hall of Shame review -

http://www.horrorview.com/HallofShame/Independence%20Day%20shame.htm

"Even President Whitmore volunteers to fly, then offers a rousing speech “blah blah blah.,.. One world spoke up and in one voice refused to be cowed... blah blah Independence Day” Yeah, it’s rousing but stupid in context. The script establishes that the Aliens aren’t interested putting Humanity under a yolk of slavery, they merely want Earth’s natural resources, and once they have them, will move on to some other planet. So, independence is a superfluous motive. More realistic would be “they atomized our friends and relatives, turned our civilization upside down, so let’s go kick them in the nuts.” But, that isn’t jingoistic enough so we have to make do with misapplied patriotism."

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:07:19 PM
And what's more, it's exclusively American patriotism. I remember a scene in which a bunch of RAF pilots are sitting around saying something like "It's about time those yanks came up with a plan to save us all".

Pissed me off, I can tell you.

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 12:22:22 AM
And what's more, it's exclusively American patriotism. I remember a scene in which a bunch of RAF pilots are sitting around saying something like "It's about time those yanks came up with a plan to save us all".

I saw that as a bit of sarcasm. It's a well known fact to movie watchers outside of the US that the only reason we let them stay on the planet is so they can save us from alien invaders/meteors/the French.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 01:53:47 PM

I saw that as a bit of sarcasm. It's a well known fact to movie watchers outside of the US that the only reason we let them stay on the planet is so they can save us from alien invaders/meteors/the French.

Sarcasm? In Independence Day? Methinks you give the movie's creators *way* more credit than they deserve.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 04:21:37 PM
Sarcasm? In Independence Day? Methinks you give the movie's creators *way* more credit than they deserve.

I'm inclined to agree with eytanz.  I only saw ID once, during its initial theatrical run, but I recall it was about as subtle as a garlic sundae.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:31:03 PM
Funnily enough, Radio 1 and legendary radio producer Dirk Maggs did a really, really good tie in featuring those two pilots.

The basic idea was that they're part of a Tornado squadron who, for various reasons, have astronomer Patrick Moore along on a training flight (I suspect, to take a look at the UFOs, what with him being y'know...smart).  Anyway, as well as patrick Moore getting into a fistfight with an alien and winning it basically followed the pair of them as they evacuate up the country and eventually fall back to Kuwait, where I believe they're seen in the movie.  Huge fun, mad as a box of frogs and better than the film.  Although, I have to say I did enjoy Independence Day.  I'm a bit of a mark for Roland Emmerich stuff.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 12:24:12 AM
Am I the only person out there who liked Independence Day?

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 01:23:56 AM

Hell's no!   That movie cleaned up at the box office.  I'm sure there folks who went back for repeat viewings.  I was one and out, though. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 02:39:01 AM

Hell's no!   That movie cleaned up at the box office.  I'm sure there folks who went back for repeat viewings.  I was one and out, though. 
What I meant to say is am I the only one on here that liked it?

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

qwints

• Peltast
  • A fine idea, but who bells cat?
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 03:31:22 AM
I liked it. It was an above average popcorn movie. My girlfriend, however, feels that it has the best presidential speech of all time. She also insists on referring to it as ID4.

The lamp flared and crackled . . .
And Nevyrazimov felt better.

CGFxColONeill

• Matross
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 04:24:00 AM
I liked it as well
I mean the special effects were kinda bad but that is part of the movie
and for the time it was made it was not bad

I guess I am kinda a sucker for a movie that had that much stuff blow up in it lol

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 05:17:22 AM
I liked it. It was an above average popcorn movie. My girlfriend, however, feels that it has the best presidential speech of all time. She also insists on referring to it as ID4.

I missed the first three movies if that was "ID4".

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 07:17:52 AM

What I meant to say is am I the only one on here that liked it?

Good GRIEF no!  May have seen ID4 three times in fact.  I'm a colossal Will Smith mark and that, combined with Jeff Goldblum, colossal UFOs and Judd Hirsch?  In ONE movie?  And as if that wasn't enough a movie directed by the guy who at that point had been responsible for one of my favourite films, Moon 44?  Huge fun.  Loved it to tiny pieces:)

eytanz

Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 08:37:42 AM
Oh, I enjoyed Independence Day. And I saw it more than once if you count showings on cable TV. But for me it's a "shut off your brain and watch something silly" kind of enjoyment. It's good mindless fun, but if I start thinking about it, I stop enjoying it much.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 01:56:39 PM
Number me among the Philistines. I enjoyed it, too. Just a good, fun movie. I don't mind if some of my movies have the emotional depth of Scooby-Doo rather than Schindler's List. :)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 12:26:07 PM

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who didn't enjoy Men in Black, which was only marginally better than ID4.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 08:13:11 PM
I liked it a lot, especially back when I saw it.  It was a lot of fun, even if the ending got pretty ridiculous.  I remember being surprised by how cool Will Smith was in it, and also thinking Bill Pullman was really going to go places (1/2 isn't bad, I guess).  It did have its share of problems, but I enjoyed the spectacle of it all.

Slight tangent: I remember cracking up in the X-Files movie when Mulder pissed all over the ID4 poster in the alley.  I guess Spooky wasn't a huge fan...

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 09:47:44 PM
Number me among the Philistines. I enjoyed it, too. Just a good, fun movie. I don't mind if some of my movies have the emotional depth of Scooby-Doo rather than Schindler's List. :)

*applauds*

Damn right.  Some of my favourite movies are by absolutely no stretch of the imagination WHATSOEVER intellectual classics (Armageddon, Three To Tango and Stargate for three) but they make me HAPPY every single time I watch them.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 12:03:15 AM
independence day was good for what it was...A B-Movie