Author Topic: Independance day  (Read 18877 times)

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 01:05:31 AM
independence day was good for what it was...A B-Movie
Just a point of interest here for me: I thought part of the defining characteristic of a B Movie was that it was low budget... Is that a misconception on my part?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 02:54:22 AM
Just a point of interest here for me: I thought part of the defining characteristic of a B Movie was that it was low budget... Is that a misconception on my part?

If so, I'm laboring under the same misconception.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 03:52:12 AM

you are correct. B pictures were cheap to produce, starred faded or up and coming stars in the studio system, and generally ran after the A picture as part of a double feature. Later, independent producers could also sell B pictures into the studio system.

if it weren't for B pictures we'd have no Rondo Hatton, Lon Chaney Jr's post Wolfman films, or Roger Corman, Sidney Pink, or Edward D. Wood Jr.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 11:21:43 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-movie

The term is also now used loosely to refer to some higher budgeted, mainstream films with exploitation-style content, usually in genres traditionally associated with the B movie

Russell Nash

Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 06:42:02 PM

you are correct. B pictures were cheap to produce, starred faded or up and coming stars in the studio system, and generally ran after the A picture as part of a double feature. Later, independent producers could also sell B pictures into the studio system.

if it weren't for B pictures we'd have no Rondo Hatton, Lon Chaney Jr's post Wolfman films, or Roger Corman, Sidney Pink, or Edward D. Wood Jr.

The label started getting misused in the 70's.  Spielberg and Lucas were said to make "B-Movies with a budget".

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 11:13:59 PM
if it weren't for B pictures we'd have no ... Edward D. Wood Jr.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 04:25:35 AM

Well, my life would be considerably less than it is now if I'd never seen Tim Burton's Ed Wood.  I can't help but get a silly grin just thinking of that movie.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008, 04:43:08 AM
Well, my life would be considerably less than it is now if I'd never seen Tim Burton's Ed Wood.  I can't help but get a silly grin just thinking of that movie.

I'll grant that without Ed Wood, Tim Burton would never have been able to make a movie about him.  But that's about all one can say in Wood's favor.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 08:32:29 AM

"What did you think of my last movie?  You hated it?  You thought it was the worst thing you've ever seen?...Well, you'll like my next one better!"

That never fials to make me laugh:)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 04:03:39 PM

"What did you think of my last movie?  You hated it?  You thought it was the worst thing you've ever seen?...Well, you'll like my next one better!"

That never fials to make me laugh:)

The scene where they stole the monster, and they put Bela Lugosi in the pond and made him throw the tentacles around -- oh, God, I'm cracking up typing this  ;D

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 04:35:25 PM
"Should'nt we do another take?"

"What for?  That was great!"

DarkKnightJRK

• Peltast
Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 04:55:26 AM
I liked it--it isn't brilliant cinema by any stretch of the imagination, but if it's on TV and there's nothing good on anywhere else, I'll keep it on there.

Plus you can't help but whoop seeing Will Smith just punch the shit out of an alien. ;D

Russell Nash

Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 10:00:14 AM
Plus you can't help but whoop seeing Will Smith just punch the shit out of an alien. ;D

I would have whooped louder if I saw him get disemboweled by an alien claw.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 03:20:28 PM

I would have whooped louder if the ridiculous Russell character (Randy Quaid) and the sappy president got the same. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 04:00:05 PM

I would have whooped louder if the ridiculous Russell character (Randy Quaid) and the sappy president got the same. 
Ridiculous?  The aliens probed him!  He was just out for revenge.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 04:05:07 PM

Ridiculous?  The aliens probed him!  He was just out for revenge.

I forgot about that.  I guess I was thinking about his not-funny drunken antics in the crop-dusting plane. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan