Author Topic: Darths & Droids  (Read 14118 times)

eytanz

on: June 03, 2008, 04:42:23 PM
I haven't seen this referrenced here yet, so I figured I'll give it a link. It's a webcomic that describes the Star Wars universe as if it was a role-playing game, with most of the world building being the DM's attempts to accomodate his players' decisions. It's based on a similar retelling of LoTR (DM of the Rings), but is more in-depth (it's already nearly at the same amount of episodes and it's still halfway through episode I; it's been stated it's planned to run over all 6 movies) and in my opinion better done.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

(That's the link to the first comic. The most recent one is simply http://www.darthsanddroids.net/)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:03:06 PM by eytanz »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:02:06 PM
That's hilarious!  Thanks for posting it.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:22:26 PM
I'm only a couple of episodes in so far, but it does remind me of DM of the Rings.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

eytanz

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:26:03 PM
I'm only a couple of episodes in so far, but it does remind me of DM of the Rings.

It's never been a secret that DM of the Rings is a direct inspiration - the commentary below the first strip explains the genesis of this project.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:38:02 PM
Ah, yeah. I missed that. Sorry.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 04:06:21 AM
First page and I'm hooked already! Thanks heaps for this! :D

qwints

• Peltast
  • A fine idea, but who bells cat?
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 04:25:13 PM
I'm not a big fan of the style, but it looks pretty funny. I didn't get past the first few comics, though, because I don't get any of the role-playing jokes.

The lamp flared and crackled . . .
And Nevyrazimov felt better.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:53 PM
When Ben brings his kid sister who ends up "creating" Jar Jar and a lot of the plot...things turn to comic gold :)

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 09:22:17 PM
When Ben brings his kid sister who ends up "creating" Jar Jar and a lot of the plot...things turn to comic gold :)

Reading these parts I have trouble figuring out what these guys seem to think of the real movie.  I think they're the type that called the originals the Holy Trilogy and hated the new ones.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 09:38:40 PM

Reading these parts I have trouble figuring out what these guys seem to think of the real movie.  I think they're the type that called the originals the Holy Trilogy and hated the new ones.

It's my impression that they didn't like the prequels much, but that they're not particularly reverant of the original trilogy either. I guess we can see in a couple of years or so when they reach Episode 4.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 09:41:42 PM
They had a link to a Harry Potter version, but I couldn't get to any other panels.  Does anyone know the link for the HP mainpage?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 10:20:37 PM

It's my impression that they didn't like the prequels much, but that they're not particularly reverant of the original trilogy either. I guess we can see in a couple of years or so when they reach Episode 4.

I wouldn't think their attitude is too much different from the guys who do Star Wars: Robot Chicken.  I've seen those guys speak before, and they definitely sound like fans.  Just irreverent ones.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:32:57 PM
Yeah, you can't do a good parody without having genuine affection for what you're parodying.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 08:06:26 PM
Yeah, you can't do a good parody without having genuine affection for what you're parodying.

Or as the creator of the (now disappeared) Utena Thumbnail Theater once had as the site's tag line:

"Because sometimes the way to show your love is to be as snarky as possible."

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 08:20:03 PM
They had a link to a Harry Potter version, but I couldn't get to any other panels.  Does anyone know the link for the HP mainpage?

(pulling this info from memory; don't have the page in front of me)

It was a one-page gag, based on the role-playing game being played in an alternate universe that has no "Star Wars", and wherein the team making the webcomic still exists but is doing it based on Harry Potter instead.  (There's even a further level of the joke in the comments for that page.)

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 02:40:09 AM

It was a one-page gag, based on the role-playing game being played in an alternate universe that has no "Star Wars", and wherein the team making the webcomic still exists but is doing it based on Harry Potter instead.  (There's even a further level of the joke in the comments for that page.)

The only page they did for Wands & Warts: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/wandsandwarts/episodes/0050.html
And Notes & Nazis: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/notesandnazis/episodes/0050.html

I especially like the joke where Hermione casts Summon Bigger Rat :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:42:47 AM by wintermute »

Russell Nash

Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 10:24:32 AM

The only page they did for Wands & Warts: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/wandsandwarts/episodes/0050.html
And Notes & Nazis: http://www.darthsanddroids.net/notesandnazis/episodes/0050.html

I didn't read it.  I just looked at it and thought it might be fun to read the whole thing.

Russell Nash

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 01:33:32 PM
Almost a year later and I'm still reading this thing.  (Thank you RSS or I would have forgotten about it ages ago)  I saw all three of the prequels and it's amazing how few of the images in this look familiar.  It's also amazing how bad the prequels were.  These guys ask a few questions about why certain things were in the film.  I find it hard to believe that at least a couple of Lucas' yes men didn't point some of this stuff out.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 05:08:15 PM
Almost a year later and I'm still reading this thing.  (Thank you RSS or I would have forgotten about it ages ago)  I saw all three of the prequels and it's amazing how few of the images in this look familiar.  It's also amazing how bad the prequels were.  These guys ask a few questions about why certain things were in the film.  I find it hard to believe that at least a couple of Lucas' yes men didn't point some of this stuff out.

They're called "yes men" for a reason, yanno ...  :P

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 01:50:58 PM

:D OMFG they've been busy since.  The joke goes even deeper now:

Mutants & Miscreants (X-Men)

Enlisted Men & Extraterrestrial Biological Entities (Aliens)

Magicians & Munchkins (The Wizard of Oz)

Sandals & Spartans (300)

It ends there ... for now, anyway.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 07:21:42 AM
How much do you get paid for all the blipverts, huanic?

Looks like we need a ban on isle three!

Russell Nash

Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 07:53:33 AM
How much do you get paid for all the blipverts, huanic?

Looks like we need a ban on isle three!

Ocicat, there is a report post button on every post.  Just click and send.  Making a comment in the threads makes absolutely no sense, because by the time we read your comment we've already read the offending post.  Or in this case I banned this user and deleted the post long before I ever got to this thread.  Davedoty had already reported the posts.  Now you're just here making a snarky comment about a post that doesn't exist anymore.

Russell Nash

Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 10:22:44 AM
This thing is getting tiring.  They're just acting like the gods of RPGs, giving advice to the less fortunate.  They haven't made a comment on the movies in months.

eytanz

Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 10:30:52 AM
I've stopped reading the commentary, for exactly the reason you describe. I have to hope it's because they're currently in the first half of Attack of the Clones, which is all build-up and nothing really happening. The comics themselves I still find amusing, though.