Author Topic: Your favorite of the first 10 Podcastle stories  (Read 15614 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 03, 2008, 07:49:15 PM
In the outro to PC 10 (Magic in a Certain Slant of Light) Rachel mentioned being fascinated by people mentioning what their favorite story so far was.  Okay Rachel - you want to know how diverse our taste is?  Let's find out...

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:51:08 PM
Come Lady Death.

Classic story.  Great narration.  Loved it.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:21:18 PM
That was me, actually.  I do all the feedback outros, and the quotes.

Ann

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:58:16 PM
Can't do it.  How can I compare "Come Lady Death" to "The Ant King" to "The Osteomancer's Son?"  They all hit such different notes for me. 

Anyway, well done Podcastle.  You guys are doing a great job taking us on the fantasy tour.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:57:04 PM
Toss-up between "Hotel Astarte" and "Osteomancer's Son" for me.  I ended up voting for the latter.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:50:39 AM
Osteomancer's Son for me, too. This is the kind of story that would have me going out to get the unabridged novel. A lot of the others I enjoyed, certainly, but this one... this one hit all the right buttons for me.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:00:18 AM
you want to know how diverse our taste is?

Well, I'll note that the board isn't all the readers. ;-) We got a donation for Wisteria, for instance, with a note that Wisteria was the best episode yet. So it's at least someone's favorite. :)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 07:25:40 AM
Well, I'll note that the board isn't all the readers. ;-) We got a donation for Wisteria, for instance, with a note that Wisteria was the best episode yet. So it's at least someone's favorite. :)

Awesome!  I thought Wisteria was pretty nice myself.  I know the poll is going to be far from definitive, and that even the episodes with no votes for "very favorite" get a lot of love from people.  I just thought it would be fun to run a poll, is all.

...and sorry about the mixup on who does the outros...

hautdesert

• Editor
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:50:45 AM
I just thought it would be fun to run a poll, is all.

I agree, it is fun!

And no problem on the mixup.  It's a pretty easy mistake to make.  When you put my voice next to Rachel's, they don't really sound the same, but people haven't had very long to get used to either of us, and there's every reason to assume it would be Rachel at the end.  I should probably identify myself, in the next feedback thingy I record.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:58:12 PM
And no problem on the mixup.  It's a pretty easy mistake to make.  When you put my voice next to Rachel's, they don't really sound the same, but people haven't had very long to get used to either of us, and there's every reason to assume it would be Rachel at the end.  I should probably identify myself, in the next feedback thingy I record.

I normally assume the outros are the same person who did the intro. Which means I mistakenly thought you were Rachel for most episodes, but not the last one...

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 03:55:38 PM
I just thought it would be fun to run a poll, is all.

I agree, it is fun!

It would probably be easier to tell them apart if we did hear them together in conversation at some point on the pod.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 05:24:01 PM
I agree, it is fun!

It would probably be easier to tell them apart if we did hear them together in conversation at some point on the pod.

My wife has a sharp ear for voices, but it took me almost a year's worth of back podcasts before I could begin to recognize who was who in the PC Gamer Magazine podcast.  I'm still not there with the Maximum PC podcast, because I didn't bother to download the feed's backlog.

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 10:54:41 PM

While I ultimately chose "Run of the Fiery Horse," it was a very, very difficult choice. Many choices that were excellent for different reasons, and no real clunkers.  PodCastle is living up to Steve's claim that it will "Knock your socks off."  (Though I figure you'll have to throw a clunker sooner or later.  "But that day is not today...")

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:15:22 AM
I want a new poll!  :)  #11  ("Fourteen Experiments") blows these all away.

Rain

• Matross
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 06:59:29 PM
Out of the first 10, the only ones i really thought were good were The Ant King & The Osteomancer’s Son. With The Ant King being the best

nebulinda

• Palmer
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:43:14 AM
The Ant King, easily. It's fun, and I can relate to the characters, and it's even listenable when I'm in the mood for a more serious story. It's even near the top in my favorite stories ever, not just in Podcast land.

Archie

• Extern
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 12:21:15 PM
Wow I'm amazed that I am the first voter for Hotel Astarte. I felt that this was far and away the greatest story both structurally and by delivery. The slow unwinding of the story combined with a beautiful blend of mythology and history won me over completely.

Ragtime

• Palmer
    • Comic Book Thoughts
Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 01:48:19 PM
I voted for Hotel Astarte because, upon reflection, its the one that stayed with me the longest and gave me most to think about.

I would have voted for the Ant King if the criterion were "Most Enjoyable While Listening To It."

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 12:46:11 AM
I'd like to cast sympathy votes for "Goosegirl" and "...Certain Slant...", but "Fiery Horse" was just too powerful.

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

wossName

• Extern
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 09:05:41 PM
This poll would have been easier (but only a little bit), if you'd asked for the least favourite story. :)

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 09:42:50 PM
My favorite story was Osteomancer's Son...It was fairly action packed and I liked the idea of the characters "powering up".  Although it was kinda gruesome the way they did it.  I would have liked to hear more about the characters abilities or more stories in this setting. 

My least favorite BY FAR was Wisteria.  It just didn't have enough of a fantasy element for me.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 10:21:57 PM
Expanding on the limit of the first 10 to include all episodes so far, I would definately say "The Grand Cheat".

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast