Author Topic: Tech question thread  (Read 47710 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #125 on: June 29, 2009, 02:19:42 PM
Other MediaMonkey gripes: 

It doesn't let the Show Description transfer to the iPod.  A minor quibble I know, but I was hoping for something that does everything iTunes does without sucking.  :(

On the plus side, it allows you the option of keeping files on the iPod that are no longer on the computer you're syncing at.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #126 on: June 29, 2009, 02:33:42 PM
On the plus side, it allows you the option of keeping files on the iPod that are no longer on the computer you're syncing at.

You can do that with iTunes also.  That's how I have my wife's set up.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #127 on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:58 PM

Reeeeeally?

Russell Nash

Reply #128 on: June 30, 2009, 07:40:23 AM

Reeeeeally?

Yeah, you just turn off the automatic update.  You have to drag and drop files.  I do about 20 files a week on my wife's iPod, so it's not a big deal.  Once I put something on her iPod I can delete it from my computer.  It stays on her iPod until I pull it off.  I put some of that stuff on there over two years ago, and it's still there.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #129 on: June 30, 2009, 02:06:01 PM
I can still auto-sync with MediaMonkey.  It pops up a checklist of things that are no longer on the computer or on the playlists, and I can elect to keep or delete them.

I might consider actually paying for this.  Don't know if I'd want to go $20 for all updates to version 3, or $40 for a lifetime license.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #130 on: July 08, 2009, 04:12:42 AM
Anyone know how to get Excel that was installed in another language to have English menus?

I have Japanese Windows and Japanese MS Office installed on my computer.  Those are the versions my company's got.  J-Windows is fine, but I would prefer to work in English Excel.  MS Office comes with a thing called "Microsoft Office Tools" that has a "Language Settings" section (I'm translating these names, the names on an English system may be different) that looks like I can use to change the language, but when I click on English nothing happens.

The thing is that I have gotten this to work before. I remember I used the Language Settings, but don't remember exactly what I did. Recently I reinstalled everything in my machine, and can't get Excel switched to English.  Any ideas?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #131 on: July 08, 2009, 01:52:35 PM
Anyone know how to get Excel that was installed in another language to have English menus?

I have Japanese Windows and Japanese MS Office installed on my computer.  Those are the versions my company's got.  J-Windows is fine, but I would prefer to work in English Excel.  MS Office comes with a thing called "Microsoft Office Tools" that has a "Language Settings" section (I'm translating these names, the names on an English system may be different) that looks like I can use to change the language, but when I click on English nothing happens.

The thing is that I have gotten this to work before. I remember I used the Language Settings, but don't remember exactly what I did. Recently I reinstalled everything in my machine, and can't get Excel switched to English.  Any ideas?

Install Open Office?
Wish I knew, I don't think it's even an option with our Chinese version at my Job.  I installed OpenOffice (at least until IT decides to purge it.)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #132 on: July 08, 2009, 03:09:13 PM
okay so i poked around at Office on my computer...
I dont think i can change my display language on my computer because my Language Settings office tool does not have a tab for "display settings" rather only for "editing settings" and the "about" tab.  when looking at the help page for how to change this stuff, a screenshot showed a third tab for "display settings" which i don't have... i don't know how to get this, i think you have to buy a language pack.... yeah you do...
If the Display Language tab is not displayed, you have only one Language Pack installed. For information about how to install another Language Pack, see Obtain and install a Language Pack.

so maybe when you reinstalled Office, it left out the English Language Pack that you had before...

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #133 on: September 24, 2009, 02:03:36 AM
Well I just found why everything is timing out in China these days...

http://ow.ly/qCld

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #134 on: September 24, 2009, 05:50:22 AM

my god that's getting ridiculous.

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #135 on: September 24, 2009, 01:04:49 PM

my god that's getting ridiculous.

Yes, Yes it is.  At least I am currently planning on returning to US in Early December so only about two more months of this sh!t

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #136 on: September 24, 2009, 01:46:35 PM
*lives in alternate China where nothing is censored and newspapers can print whatever they want*

*is loving it and hopes unification never comes*

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

lowky

• Hipparch
Reply #137 on: September 24, 2009, 03:51:37 PM
*lives in alternate China where nothing is censored and newspapers can print whatever they want*

*is loving it and hopes unification never comes*

so Hong Kong or Taiwan?

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #138 on: September 24, 2009, 03:57:28 PM
Taiwan, where no web sites are creepily blocked.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Jason M

Reply #139 on: October 12, 2009, 02:35:45 AM
Ok, is there an easy way to transfer Firefox settings from a Vista machine to an XP machine?

I'm in the middle of switching lap tops and it's amazing how much I had tweaked the settings on my old one.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #140 on: October 12, 2009, 05:22:29 AM
Ok, is there an easy way to transfer Firefox settings from a Vista machine to an XP machine?

I'm in the middle of switching lap tops and it's amazing how much I had tweaked the settings on my old one.
kay um i have no idea WHICH filename it is, but if you go into program files, mozilla firefox there will be lotsa dll files and txt files and whatnot, i would guess if you copy all of em and paste em into the firefox folder on your vista laptop, that ONE of those files will have your settings in it.  either way it shouldn't hurt your installation of firefox on vista if ya do it.  just copy and paste/replace duplicate files with the files you are pasting

the file might be the browserconfig.properties file... seems obvious but who knows.
anyway yeah try that and let me know how it goes, i'm curious.
worse comes to worse you have to uninstall/reinstall firefox on the vista comp :P

EDIT: oop i misread, thought u were goin from xp to vista, not the other way around... (why? just get windows 7) anyway its still the same i'd guess just the other way around, substitute all "vista" with "xp" and all "xp" with "vista" :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:24:12 AM by Bdoomed »

Jason M

Reply #141 on: October 12, 2009, 11:16:50 AM
Will give it a shot, thanks.

Going to XP because it's an older machine that's just been sitting around.  Children and laptop power cords don't mix...