Author Topic: The Happening  (Read 16004 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 02:39:09 PM
I hit "The Happening" this weekend.  Going in, I wanted to like it but I have to give it a "meh".   Maybe a C- if I had to score it.   I guess it was rated "R" because of the gruesome, in your face violence.   

So, no bewbz then?   :(

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 04:09:15 PM
I hit "The Happening" this weekend.  Going in, I wanted to like it but I have to give it a "meh".   Maybe a C- if I had to score it.   I guess it was rated "R" because of the gruesome, in your face violence.   

So, no bewbz then?   :(

No, just a lot of close up of Zooey's face and her blue eyes, which looked as big as baseballs. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 02:06:58 AM
I'm a big M Night fan. He can always get a clever twist out of a movie, and can conceive some great camera angles and such. We went to see The Happening this weekend, too. I felt it was extremely creepy. Certainly more than I expected it to be.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 12:48:19 PM
I've seen three Shamalang movies so far:

The Sixth Sense - I won't say I figured out what the twist was, simply because until the big reveal I didn't realise that it was supposed to be a twist. It starts off with Bruce Willis getting shot in the chest, and then after that, no-one whose alive ever notices that he's there, except for a kid who talks to dead people. I just kind of assumed it was meant to be obvious that he was a ghost from the start. It's like if The Terminator ended with the breathless reveal that Arnie is actually a robot! It turns out that this is a pretty boring movie, if there's no twist in it.

Unbreakable - I have to say, I loved this one. I've always been a sucker for a good superhero movie, and this is a good one. I'm not a huge fan of the Mr Glass twist, but it didn't spoil anything for me.

Signs - The biggest cinematic turd anyone ever shat out onto the silver screen. What Chodon said about the aliens. Plus, nothing the humans did made sense, either.

After that, I've never heard anything about any of his later movies that makes me want to spend the time and money to see them. And I doubt I'm going to bother seeing The Happening.

Science means that not all dreams can come true