Escape Artists

News:

• The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

News

The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

Author Topic: PC Miniature 005: Directions  (Read 21076 times)

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 09:30:52 PM
This fell a bit flat for me.  From the title and the opening paragraph I formed an idea of where the story was going to go, and when it moved too slowly, insufficiently weirdly and without any conflict, I felt quite disappointed.

It's interesting that more reactions to this story appear to have been "I could write something exciting in a similar style" than "This story nails the Fantasy SatNav concept so well that there's no point in competing against it" -- it gives me the impression that more people were thrilled by the concept than were awed by the execution.

I liked some of the little touches that gave the story its atmosphere, though, and the reading was sonorous.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 05:24:59 PM
Today's xkcd is the PP version of this story :)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 10:01:40 PM
Today's xkcd is the PP version of this story :)

I immediately thought the same thing when I read the comic...

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 05:52:04 PM
I enjoyed the scene descriptions here but, to use Ragtime's words:  "I like my story to have a story in it".  If I didn't expect it to be a story I could enjoy it, but otherwise the complete lack of characters, motivation, and explanation made it very un-story. 

Does it say something about me that I was more creeped out by the road paved with fingernails than the cairn of skulls?