Author Topic: NEWS: Don't like the view? Wait thirty seconds, it'll change  (Read 4679 times)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
This pretty much fills my awesome quota for the week:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7472722.stm

Darwinist

• Hipparch

Man, is that cool!  Dubai seems to get a lot of cool stuff. 

Pro:  If your upstairs neighbors are being amorous and making a racket you can just hit your remote control and switch neighbors. 

Con:  What if the guy on the other side of the building wants to see the same view as you?  Maybe they will lease / sell units by the floor.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
I get the impression you don't get to choose how fast it rotates, but each floor has its own set rate.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
I just had a sci-fi moment...

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Sweet.  I remember reading somewhere that there was an architect who had planned out a whole town like that, complete with living quarters/apartments/condos, restaurants, entertainment, and shops.  I guess it's not as far in the future as I thought it'd be.

eytanz

Am I the only person who really doesn't like the idea of this? I much prefer that all the buildings around me look the same every time I look at them.

Which isn't a knock against the concept (though I wonder if the energy cost is justifiable in this day and age). There's a coolness to it I can't deny. It's just that I'd rather it remains something cool I heard about than something I would actually have to live around.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
(though I wonder if the energy cost is justifiable in this day and age)
The article says it's powered by integrated wind turbines. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it won't use any fossil fuels, of course. But assuming the reporter got that right, then it should be acceptable.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
(though I wonder if the energy cost is justifiable in this day and age)
The article says it's powered by integrated wind turbines. Which doesn't necessarily mean that it won't use any fossil fuels, of course. But assuming the reporter got that right, then it should be acceptable.

I read in the linked article that the turbines will generate enough energy to dump a surplus back into the grid.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Am I the only person who really doesn't like the idea of this? I much prefer that all the buildings around me look the same every time I look at them.

Which isn't a knock against the concept (though I wonder if the energy cost is justifiable in this day and age). There's a coolness to it I can't deny. It's just that I'd rather it remains something cool I heard about than something I would actually have to live around.

Well, I wouldn't want to live in it, mind you.  But I wouldn't mind visiting a friend there. 

Russell Nash

Well, I wouldn't want to live in it, mind you.  But I wouldn't mind visiting a friend there. 

You could just change it so that everytime you looked out of whichever window you saw the same thing.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 07:51:15 PM

That is made of win and awesome!

A couple things that might have been missed:
-Each floor is its own apartment, so there would only be fights inside the house as to who gets to watch the sun set.
-The rotation is controlled by voice command.
-It's being build in Dubai. Most of the people who would own the apartments are too rich to bother visiting them, let alone worry if they're cost effective.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 07:57:49 PM
So, the cheapest one goes for 3.6 million?  I wonder if I'll be able to afford a one-week timeshare sub-let if I save from now until I'm... um... dead. ???

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!