Author Topic: Forum Crit Group --  (Read 25382 times)

scottjanssens

• Palmer
Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 07:03:54 PM
Okay!

Everyone who indicated that they wanted in should have access to the Crit Group forum on this board now. Please check your access and make sure that you can see it/post there, and if you're interested and you haven't let me know yet, please give me a holler!

Holler.  I'll check it out.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 08:00:15 PM
I prefer no critiquing form.  Especially as I start to get into things here, I'm more likely to just talk about one point.  If something was really brilliant or just felt akward, I'd probably focus a couple of comments just on that.  I'm far too inexperienced to go into a big huge review.

I'm with his Nashness.  As long as you (vosotros) are not mean without reason, as long as you justify the reason for your criticism, I'm fine with it being formatless.  I tend to ramble when I critique anyway.  But I'll go with a rule if one is laid out.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #52 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:14 PM
So, yeah, in sum, I don't think it's worth it for anyone to worry about not joining the group because you're worried you'll be a dick. Unless, you know, you actually are trying to hurt people to make yourself look better. In which case, one of my Clarion West classmates Heather Lindsley ("Mayfly," "Just Do It") has a solution... every time you think of something really clever and devastating to say, give yourself one cool point for how clever you are, and another cool point for your restraint in staying silent. ;-)

We had this guy in my Advanced Fiction Writing Workshop in college who didn't do the latter.  In his defense, he was in a 4000-level course at 19 and started college at 17, so he missed out on a little emotional development, IMO.

The problem with cleverly-snarky-good-natured comments is that you can't communicate tone of voice online, and a smiley just doesn't cut it.  If I was in a room with you guys and you said something snarky, I'd totally get it.  But on here?  50-50.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Simon

• Peltast
Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 08:20:02 AM
Heyup,

This group passed me by, I've not had my head as buried in the Forum as usual recently...

I'm likely to hold off on posting my fiction for a while (I'm a bit of a stiff), but I'm an enthusiastic critter.  Any chance of a set of keys?

Simon

therinth

• Palmer
    • fate loves the fearless
Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 08:08:02 AM
Heyup,

This group passed me by, I've not had my head as buried in the Forum as usual recently...

I'm likely to hold off on posting my fiction for a while (I'm a bit of a stiff), but I'm an enthusiastic critter.  Any chance of a set of keys?

Simon

Done!

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #55 on: June 14, 2008, 12:28:39 PM
If/when you find yourself flipping into third person, it's probably because you want to say something nasty that you don't want to take responsibility for.

I'd like to add that another construction to be wary of is "I don't mean to be a jerk but..."  If you need to disclaimer, then you know you're sounding like an ass.  Phrase it differently.  People generally have a hard time accepting criticism that seems like an insult, and the 'I don't mean to' preface doesn't take the sting away. 

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #56 on: June 18, 2008, 04:49:32 AM
I would like to join as well. I've got a couple stories written and loads more rolling inside my head. I also like to read other stories to give others my reactions. The same helps me, so I like to do the same for others.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

therinth

• Palmer
    • fate loves the fearless
Reply #57 on: June 18, 2008, 06:13:28 AM
I would like to join as well. I've got a couple stories written and loads more rolling inside my head. I also like to read other stories to give others my reactions. The same helps me, so I like to do the same for others.

Joined! :D