Author Topic: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog  (Read 32794 times)

sirana

• Lochage
on: July 01, 2008, 08:59:52 PM
Ohboy ohboy ohboy.

I think I have outed myself as a hopeless Whedon fanboy before so here it comes:

<a href=http://drhorrible.com/ > THE BEST GODDAMN MUSICAL SINCE THE LAST ONE HE MADE [/url]

This is going to be soooooo awsome.

Yes... laugh at me all you want, I don't care. I'm in my happy place and no one can hurt me. Except... this guy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:03:13 PM by sirana »

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:02:53 PM
Plus I think the implications about online distribution are huge, but thats for some other time.
Now is the time to SQUEEEEEELL with joy.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:16:33 PM
I'm intrigued (but then, you  had me at "Whedon"). I'll have to check that out. :)

eytanz

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:32:39 PM
Aargh! I'll be on holiday without regular internet connection for the entire run of this!

But I'd happily pay for it when it comes back up for download, so that's ok.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:02:13 AM
Freaking Doogie Howser just keeps getting funnier.   Will check it out.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:05:18 PM
<a href="http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1227202&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1227202&amp;amp</a>

For the lazy.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 07:41:20 AM

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:07:29 PM
Dear GOD this looks glorious.  The delivery on 'So that's...y'know...coming along...' alone is glorious.

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:51:15 AM
This is going to be the big release event of my summer, I know, far ahead of anything coming out at the box office...

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 09:56:50 AM
I don't know why you're all getting so excited, this is Whedon we're talking about.
Just before the release, after having teased us with these amazing trailers and sneak peaks, he's just going to shove a giant metal spike through it and crush our dreams.
(Damn you Joss!)

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:40:42 AM
Someone's still a little bitter.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 06:43:38 AM
Ok, the first part is online , at least for people in the US. They powered it through hulu.com (which imho is a smart move, at least in theory).
Thing is hulu.com only allows streaming in the US.
I got megapissed until I went to their facebook page. They said the shutout of non-Americans was accidental and they are working on it. Hope I'm able to see it today.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:50:28 AM
Sorry the non americans got shut out.

Just watched the first episode.

AMAZINGINGLY AWESOME.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 09:55:59 AM
AAAAAND it's working for us Non-Americans, wuhuu. Fast response there.
Haven't seen it yet since I'm at the University right now, but can't wait to get home...

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:35 AM
If someone had just shown me that without comment, I would have asked if they had tried to be Whedon.

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 11:23:54 AM
And I didn't read the credits at the front, so it was a totally cool surprise when Mal showed up.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 12:54:04 PM
Watched it. Loved it. That is all.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 11:18:34 AM
That was hilarious.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 01:08:34 PM
Bad Horse!  Bad Horse!  Bad Horse!  Bad Horse!
He rides across the country!
The stallion of sin!
He got the application that you just mailed!

BRILLIANT

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 02:40:18 PM
He got the application that you just send in.

Otherwise it doesn't rhyme ;-)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 02:43:54 PM
And that's what I get for posting minus sleep:)

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 03:21:45 PM
Did anyone else notice guys who looked like Alan Tudyk and Luke Wilson in the Bad Horse song?  Wilson was the lower-left singer, and Tudyk was the one who sang in Moist's face.  They're not on the IMDB page, so I could be wrong, but it would be amusing.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 03:53:53 PM
Did anyone else notice guys who looked like Alan Tudyk and Luke Wilson in the Bad Horse song?  Wilson was the lower-left singer, and Tudyk was the one who sang in Moist's face.  They're not on the IMDB page, so I could be wrong, but it would be amusing.

I don't think they are, see below.

BTW: Does anyone else doubt the evilness of an organization that has to call itself evil twice?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 04:17:50 PM
I believe you are correct. I was watching on my Nano, so it was very small.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:37 PM
That was pretty awesome.  After the "comic tie in" I was expecting something different.  Something, well, not as good.  I thought the blog portion went on a bit too long, but once things got rolling (er, or singing as the case may be) it really hooked me.

Can't wait for the next episode!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 02:46:26 AM
BTW: Does anyone else doubt the evilness of an organization that has to call itself evil twice?

You should watch what you say, or Mad Horse will make you his mare. :)

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 03:17:00 AM

I didn't realize Bad Horse's superpower was to change into other aspects of the Horse. Hm, I wonder if there's a Cuddly Horse aspect if you play your cards right.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:38 AM
Hidden benefit of being up at 1:03am for no reason:

Act II is now in my brain!

Funny.  Not as LOL-funny as the first one, but funny.

"Because these... are not the Hammer."

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 06:49:43 AM
Saw the second Act just now. Wow, just WOW.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 06:58:21 AM
This is great fun!  Hilarious and very, very cool.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 03:48:16 PM
I watched the first Act last night.  Cracked me up really good.  Neil Patrick Harris -- who knew he was this funny?  And having Mal show up as Captain Hammer was great fun.  (Is it just me, or is there some kind of weird similarity between Captain Mal and Doogie Howser's facial features?)

Russell Nash

Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 03:58:49 PM
I watched the first Act last night.  Cracked me up really good.  Neil Patrick Harris -- who knew he was this funny?  And having Mal show up as Captain Hammer was great fun.  (Is it just me, or is there some kind of weird similarity between Captain Mal and Doogie Howser's facial features?)

The nose might be kinda similar, but I think it's mostly you.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:03 PM

I didn't realize Bad Horse's superpower was to change into other aspects of the Horse. Hm, I wonder if there's a Cuddly Horse aspect if you play your cards right.
In my glee I seem to have not been paying any attention. It is Bad horse, not Mad Horse.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 11:00:30 PM

The nose might be kinda similar, but I think it's mostly you.

You know, I think it's the smile. 

I can't wait to watch the rest of this.  And get my wife to watch it. 

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 05:58:11 AM
One of the few benefits of running the night shift of an internet radio station for the HOPE (Hackers On Planet Earth) is that I got to watch the last one just as it came out — it was perfectly whedonesque.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 07:09:06 AM
That it is. I totally didn't expect it to end that way, but it is so Joss to have these wacky funny first two acts and then drive a stake through our heart. Incredible from the first to the last second.

Russell Nash

Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 12:03:56 PM
Story on NPR

I haven't listened to it yet.  Please don't blame me if it stinks.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 04:34:18 PM
I did not expect that ending.  At all.  But knowing Joss Whedon, I should've. 

When can we start spoileriffic discussions?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 05:10:35 PM
Spoilers after 6:00 PM EST?

Russell Nash

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 05:54:28 PM
First person to include a spoiler needs to put up a big warning.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 08:05:22 PM
I just found out about this at Shamus's Twenty-Sided blog. Absolutely gold.

Russell Nash

Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 04:23:47 AM
I made the mistake of reading a couple of comments here before I watched the last episode.  I was expecting this big tear jerker and was left a little disappointed.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #42 on: July 20, 2008, 08:03:51 AM
It was worth it ending that way just to see the scene with him walking into the boardroom. That was cool.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #43 on: July 20, 2008, 11:31:13 PM
Here...

SPOILER!!!!!!

The death of Penny was very shocking to me.  I mean, I should've seen it coming, because it's Joss Whedon, the dude who killed Wash while he was in the middle of a catchphrase, but still.

The ending montage was good as well, and the fact that Bad Horse is really a horse was a nice finisher.  Also, Liz Vassey (The Tick, Push Nevada) was in the boardroom for a moment, which was cool.  And Marti Noxon as the newscaster... I have to admit, I thought she'd be older and frumpier.  Shows how much I know.

Anyway, the fact that each character in the boardroom had a name in the credits made me hopeful that there will be future editions of the blog.  I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and Captain Hammer's speech about sex... gold.  Pure gold.

Russell Nash

Reply #44 on: July 21, 2008, 10:01:05 AM
The sales on iTunes and the DVD sales will determine whether or not we see more of this.  I think I'll be getting the DVD.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 10:55:43 AM
i'm hoping that mutant enemy will give us a direct donation link. the fewer middlemen & production costs the better.

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 07:15:11 PM
The sales on iTunes and the DVD sales will determine whether or not we see more of this.  I think I'll be getting the DVD.
Yeah, I plan on purchasing the DVD myself. I seem to recall mention that there would be a some good extras on there, as well.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #47 on: July 22, 2008, 08:34:49 AM
It is said there will be 2 commentary tracks, one of them sung. There is nothing in this world that could keep me from getting this dvd...
And there are Dr. Horrible shirts available from jinx. . I already got one, waiting for delivery.

Russell Nash

Reply #48 on: July 22, 2008, 10:28:41 AM
It is said there will be 2 commentary tracks, one of them sung. There is nothing in this world that could keep me from getting this dvd...
And there are Dr. Horrible shirts available from jinx. . I already got one, waiting for delivery.

Give us a report on the quality of the printing, please.  I always worry about ordering website shirts, because so many of them are just garbage.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #49 on: July 22, 2008, 11:28:30 AM
I'll do that...

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 05:06:22 AM
When is the DVD coming out?

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 06:02:46 PM
Ok <a href=http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/07/joss-whedon-on.html > this [/url] is an interesting interview. It's mostly about Joss upcoming show Dollhouse, but in the end there are a couple of Dr.Horrible questions with interesting answers.

- he is saying that the DVD will be out "in a few months"
- the show didn't make the money it needs to break even, yet and he hopes it could make it within a year
- the first episode was watched by 1 million viewers, all in all there were 2 million viewers

Does that number strike anybody else as really low? I mean I'm not sure if the comparison is fair, but on youtube there are hundreds (might be thousands) of videos with more than 1 million viewers.
Additionally since Joss described it as views and not as unique viewers there are even less people who actually saw it (I saw it 3-4 times).
So despite the raving reviews in every part of online journalism and the blogosphere it didn't even make a big splash on the web.

Joss said that the budget was in the low six figures, so let's assume it's 200.000 $.
He would need to sell 20.000 DVDs (assuming a DVD nets him 10$) and that is not counting what the DVD production actually costs.
Can he do that? If there were 250.000 watching the last episode which I think is reasonable, nearly every tenth of these people would have to buy the DVD or every fifth has to buy the show on iTunes (I'd guess he would make 5$ for the 3 episodes). This is not easy to pull of, even with his energetic and loyal fanbase.

What do you think?

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #52 on: July 23, 2008, 09:15:20 PM
Ok <a href=http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2008/07/joss-whedon-on.html > this [/url] is an interesting interview. It's mostly about Joss upcoming show Dollhouse, but in the end there are a couple of Dr.Horrible questions with interesting answers.

- he is saying that the DVD will be out "in a few months"
- the show didn't make the money it needs to break even, yet and he hopes it could make it within a year
- the first episode was watched by 1 million viewers, all in all there were 2 million viewers

Does that number strike anybody else as really low? I mean I'm not sure if the comparison is fair, but on youtube there are hundreds (might be thousands) of videos with more than 1 million viewers.
Additionally since Joss described it as views and not as unique viewers there are even less people who actually saw it (I saw it 3-4 times).
So despite the raving reviews in every part of online journalism and the blogosphere it didn't even make a big splash on the web.

Joss said that the budget was in the low six figures, so let's assume it's 200.000 $.
He would need to sell 20.000 DVDs (assuming a DVD nets him 10$) and that is not counting what the DVD production actually costs.
Can he do that? If there were 250.000 watching the last episode which I think is reasonable, nearly every tenth of these people would have to buy the DVD or every fifth has to buy the show on iTunes (I'd guess he would make 5$ for the 3 episodes). This is not easy to pull of, even with his energetic and loyal fanbase.

What do you think?
I'm not sure that the buzz was really out. I mean, barring the semi-early post that started this thread, i neither saw nor heard anything about this until Twenty-Sided (and i can't imagine that would be considered a major media promoter). In fact, i had forgotten it had even been mentioned here.

I'm curious about the "breaking even" statement. How exactly was this supposed to generate income at this point in the game? Simply the iTunes and Jinx connections? Does the click-thru to Digg, MySpace, Facebook and Twitter generate income?

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 03:46:52 AM
I would think that any significant revenue will have to come from DVD sales.  And, it's going to need better promotion.  I passed by this thread at first because I thought it was just some geek thing that I didn't want to get into.  Then, I saw a thread posted about it in the non-scrapbooking forum of a scrapbooking message board I go to.  I didn't read that thread either Then, I saw the ad on iTunes.  It wasn't until then that I realized that it was Joss Whedon and that it starred Doogie Hauser.  My 25 year old daughter is going to love this.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #54 on: July 24, 2008, 05:25:01 AM
I suspect word will spread in retrospect. Plenty of people saw it, and will pass the word on.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 11:14:02 AM
Ok, i got the shirt today, which is fast for international shipping (I ordered it on July 15th).

This is the shirt I got.

The shirt itself is a decent quality, 50% cotton, 50% polyester and made in the Dominican Republic. The brand is JERZEES.
To my eye the printing seems ok, definitly better than cafepress, but I'm not necessarily a good judge on these things...
Haven't washed it so I'll tell you how it handles the washer later.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 12:02:10 PM
I'm with Sandical on this - I only went to the site for the first time this weekend past, and only because a friend of mine recommended it.
The title sounded too dorky to be any good.  And there are just too many people out there that think they can sing but can't.  I had no idea it was professionally written or would be so polished.

For this project to do well financially, all I think needs to be done is be advertised to the large Buffy fanbase that is out there, and mention that it's a Joss Whedon musical.  Anyone who saw "Once More with Feeling" would jump to see this.  Along with everything else the man really knows how to write lyrics..."with my freeze ray I would stop....the world" - just loved it!

And just to be clear "these are not the hammer"  ;)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 09:11:23 PM
Ok, i got the shirt today, which is fast for international shipping (I ordered it on July 15th).

This is the shirt I got.

The shirt itself is a decent quality, 50% cotton, 50% polyester and made in the Dominican Republic. The brand is JERZEES.
To my eye the printing seems ok, definitly better than cafepress, but I'm not necessarily a good judge on these things...
Haven't washed it so I'll tell you how it handles the washer later.

Oh man, want. Tommorow's payday, I may  have to splurge.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #58 on: July 26, 2008, 04:26:19 AM

Utterly brilliant.

In act II, when Dr. H tries to run out of the laundromat, Penny says "what about your clothes", and he declares "I don't love these"... I laughed so hard my kids thought I was having some kind of attack.

Of course, my daughter used to say that about everything when she was 4 or so, and hearing it come from a deadpan Neil Patrick Harris set off one of those weird parent synapses.

And that ending was perfect.  *goosebumps*

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #59 on: July 26, 2008, 08:01:50 AM
Incidentally, Whedon's just announced Act IV.

There was a Doctor Horrible panel at the San Diego Comic Con.  The only details I've found so far are at least one more episode is in the works, as is a contest which will involve people sending in their three minute audition tapes for the Evil League of Evil:)

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #60 on: September 03, 2008, 07:32:16 AM
The official soundtrack is on itunes as non-drm download. It costs 10 bucks which is about half a euro these days.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #61 on: September 06, 2008, 02:23:50 AM

There was a Doctor Horrible panel at the San Diego Comic Con.  The only details I've found so far are at least one more episode is in the works, as is a contest which will involve people sending in their three minute audition tapes for the Evil League of Evil:)

Shiny! Must view.. act.. four...

did he say when it'll be out? OMG I'm such a total sad little fan girl it's pathetic but I woship at the alter of Whedon.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #62 on: September 06, 2008, 10:06:31 AM

Shiny! Must view.. act.. four...

did he say when it'll be out? OMG I'm such a total sad little fan girl it's pathetic but I woship at the alter of Whedon.

The announcement of Act IV was more like Whedon saying that he would like to make a fourth act. AFAIK they aren't actually working on it since they are busy organizing everything for the dvd.
But at least Dollhouse will come for sure (even if it is a long time till January 2009...)
Keep worshipping ;-)

eytanz

Reply #63 on: September 06, 2008, 12:14:11 PM
No, I saw the panel video, I think the announcement of act IV was pretty unambiguous. He didn't say when or what format act IV will take, but he did present it as "we're going to do this (but not right away)", rather than "we'd like to do this".

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #64 on: September 06, 2008, 01:27:31 PM
No, I saw the panel video, I think the announcement of act IV was pretty unambiguous. He didn't say when or what format act IV will take, but he did present it as "we're going to do this (but not right away)", rather than "we'd like to do this".

Sorry, my mistake then. But it is true that they are not working on it now, right?

eytanz

Reply #65 on: September 06, 2008, 01:58:15 PM
Well, they didn't give any more specific information. A fan asked a question about possibile plot ideas for a sequel, and their response was basically along the lines of "there will be a fourth act and we know what will happen in it, so we're not going to answer that". They didn't say anything about when the fourth act will happen, or what its production status is
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:33:06 PM by eytanz »

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #66 on: September 06, 2008, 03:18:30 PM
Well- Dollhouse looks cool. I don't trust Fox as far as I can throw one of their fatcat directors over priced mahogany desks, but here's hoping we get something out of it. 

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #67 on: September 06, 2008, 05:38:19 PM
Well- Dollhouse looks cool. I don't trust Fox as far as I can throw one of their fatcat directors over priced mahogany desks, but here's hoping we get something out of it. 
I dunno about that.
On one hand it looks like a vehicle for FOX style T&A (not that there's anything wrong with T&A). On the other one hand it's Joss and he could make the IRS exciting and creative.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #68 on: September 06, 2008, 06:38:08 PM

Agree, but put executives instead of directors.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #69 on: September 07, 2008, 04:40:27 AM
Executives Is what I ment, but I'm bad at American, too bad I never learned any other languages..

I dunno about that.
On one hand it looks like a vehicle for FOX style T&A (not that there's anything wrong with T&A). On the other one hand it's Joss and he could make the IRS exciting and creative.

...but I like T&A...

Russell Nash

Reply #70 on: September 07, 2008, 05:54:17 PM
On one hand it looks like a vehicle for FOX style T&A (not that there's anything wrong with T&A).

...but I like T&A...

You got my attention.

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #71 on: September 10, 2008, 10:23:29 AM
I notice there's already the 'Save Dollhouse' campaign on the Internet, though this was started before Fox reportedly saw the pilot Joss had produced and not liked it...

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #72 on: September 10, 2008, 01:08:22 PM
I notice there's already the 'Save Dollhouse' campaign on the Internet, though this was started before Fox reportedly saw the pilot Joss had produced and not liked it...

to be honest, I think the "Save Dollhouse" campaign is doing more harm than good. I mean I can understand everybody who feels as strongly about Firefly's cancellation as I do, but this is coming of way to desperate.
As for the "not liking the pilot"- part, here is a hilarious interview between Joss and "Rutherford D. Actualperson" concerning the new pilot.
Of course it could be that Joss is just beeing a good soldier, but to me it sounds honest.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #73 on: September 10, 2008, 10:50:50 PM

to be honest, I think the "Save Dollhouse" campaign is doing more harm than good. I mean I can understand everybody who feels as strongly about Firefly's cancellation as I do, but this is coming of way to desperate.
As for the "not liking the pilot"- part, here is a hilarious interview between Joss and "Rutherford D. Actualperson" concerning the new pilot.
Of course it could be that Joss is just beeing a good soldier, but to me it sounds honest.

Yeah, some of my less geeky friends scratching their heads about the "Save Dollhouse" thing, thinking "This can't be a good sign." 

I still don't understand why he's back at Fox.  "What do they have?" one of my friends asked. "Lewd pictures of him or something?"

eytanz

Reply #74 on: September 11, 2008, 12:40:19 AM
In general, I think we're going to see a diminishing returns effect for the "save X!" campaigns. In particular, I think there are already signs that networks are actually starting to cancel shows earlier, simply to see whether they trigger a campaign. If they do, re-instate the show and the publicity probably makes it even more popular. No campaign, the show didn't have enough of a fanbase to matter. Win-win for the studios, lose for the shows (and fans of the shows) with smaller audiences, as campaigns have to be massive to stand out these days.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #75 on: September 11, 2008, 12:52:43 AM
Executives Is what I ment, but I'm bad at American, too bad I never learned any other languages..

I dunno about that.

...but I like T&A...

Who doesn't?

Russell Nash

Reply #76 on: September 11, 2008, 11:25:26 AM
I still don't understand why he's back at Fox.  "What do they have?" one of my friends asked. "Lewd pictures of him or something?"

Simple answer:  Eliza Dushku had a production deal with Fox.  She was talking to Joss.  They made a plan.  Fox makes the show.  If he had tried to take the show without her and sell it somewhere else, he probably would have had a hell of a time jus getting someone interested.  With Fox it was already a done deal.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #77 on: September 11, 2008, 03:16:01 PM

Simple answer:  Eliza Dushku had a production deal with Fox.  She was talking to Joss.  They made a plan.  Fox makes the show.  If he had tried to take the show without her and sell it somewhere else, he probably would have had a hell of a time jus getting someone interested.  With Fox it was already a done deal.

Plus Joss had said that he created the show especially for Eliza as a lead, so he couldn't really go to another network. And the management that is responsible for the oversight over the shows has changed so the guys who killed Firefly aren't involved anymore, which must have made the decision easier.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #78 on: September 11, 2008, 03:44:11 PM
Ah, that makes a lot more sense then, I guess.  Thanks for clearing it up!

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #79 on: September 12, 2008, 07:38:17 PM
The Dr. Horrible Soundtrack hits the Billboard Top 40 (at #39 ) in its first week which is impressive
a) as a Soundtrack
b) since it is only sold on iTunes at the moment

Anybody know how often it would have to sell to get that high?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #80 on: September 12, 2008, 08:39:56 PM
The Dr. Horrible Soundtrack hits the Billboard Top 40 (at #39 ) in its first week which is impressive
a) as a Soundtrack
b) since it is only sold on iTunes at the moment

Anybody know how often it would have to sell to get that high?

Hey, cool.  I didn't even know iTunes sales were counted on Billboard. 

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #81 on: November 29, 2008, 11:08:13 AM
The DVD is availlable for Pre-Order on Amazon.

Buy it, or a character you love will die.

Oh, wait...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:25:18 AM by Russell Nash »

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #82 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:36 PM
Bah, waiting for the UK version...

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #83 on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:33 PM
Buy it, or a character you love will die.

she got better!
the guild season 2 just started.

cuddlebug

• Peltast
Reply #84 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:41 PM
Finally got around to watch it, had bought it on iTunes a long time ago and wow, it was definitely worth it. I have never been a fan of Buffy, actually the idea of a cute sexy and smart superhero girl, saving the world from doom, just really annoyed me. But have loved Firefly from start to finish and now supporting Dr Horrible will have to be my next mission, so how many t-shirts and other merch do you think I'll have to order to make sure there will be an act IV and V and ....:-?

Has anyone heard anything new? Don't think there has been anything on twitter.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #85 on: January 14, 2009, 12:58:18 AM
Last I heard was that everyone wants to do more, but they had to wait until their schedules lined up (Read: Dollhouse and How I Met Your Mother, presumably.)

Russell Nash

Reply #86 on: February 10, 2009, 10:44:10 AM

Plus Joss had said that he created the show especially for Eliza as a lead, so he couldn't really go to another network. And the management that is responsible for the oversight over the shows has changed so the guys who killed Firefly aren't involved anymore, which must have made the decision easier.

It seems Fox has already started making trouble.  Whedon was on All Things Considered talking about Dollhouse.  He said the reshoot of the pilot was because Fox was nervous about the sex and wanted more action.  It seems Fox just wants another Dark Angel.

The article links to a few clips from Dollhouse.