Author Topic: Dave Shoots First -- My Wannabe Superhero Kids Book/Podcast  (Read 35300 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
It's here!  Episode 1 of my podcast, "The Unbelievable Origin of Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid" is now up at my new website Dave Shot First.  Hear me ramble about secret identies (the real golden rule), would-be superheroes (not to be confused with poser superheroes), Cyberpunk and the Cyber-Commandos (the cool and teh suck).  Like I say in the intro, I wrote this to be an intergenerational thing, so if you have kids, hopefully they'll get a kick out of it, too.

Obviously, all this tech stuff is a work in progress for me.  Any feedback you want to give on the story and the site is greatly appreciated.  (There's no itunes button, yet, but I'm hoping to add that soon.  I'm also going to try and tweak some of the blog formatting, -- i.e., make the red letters bigger.)

Hope you enjoy it!

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:43:53 PM
It's a very good listen.  Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  Bob Smith is a hilarious name for a super hero.  That's even better than Mur's Siesmic Stan. So is his alter ego (when he's at home in his bunny slippers) Dynamic Man or something like that? 

Your next step should be to develop a Promo that Escape Artists and the guys at Farpoint Media, Variant Frequencies, etc. can run on their podcasts.

My only nitpick is that you could add a bit more inflection and excitement to your voice.  The good news is that you've got kind of a Ben Phillips vibe going there.  That's not a bad thing (I enjoy Ben's readings when I catch them on PP), it's just that with a title like Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid, I was expecting something a little more...I don't know..."whiz bang, wowee" in your voice.  But hey whatever you do is fine (like I could do any better).  I like the podcast.

I like that you chose the Toothpick Kid (the sidekick) as the POV character.  Was the name Superspiff inpired by Spaceman Spiff from Calvin and Hobbes?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:51:04 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

goatkeeper

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:16:32 AM
Yah DK, make a promo and send it to Drabblecast

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:54:24 AM
It's a very good listen.  Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  Bob Smith is a hilarious name for a super hero. 

South Park already had Robert Smith;)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 05:15:14 AM
It's a very good listen.  Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.  Bob Smith is a hilarious name for a super hero.  That's even better than Mur's Siesmic Stan. So is his alter ego (when he's at home in his bunny slippers) Dynamic Man or something like that?

Your next step should be to develop a Promo that Escape Artists and the guys at Farpoint Media, Variant Frequencies, etc. can run on their podcasts.

My only nitpick is that you could add a bit more inflection and excitement to your voice.  The good news is that you've got kind of a Ben Phillips vibe going there.  That's not a bad thing (I enjoy Ben's readings when I catch them on PP), it's just that with a title like Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid, I was expecting something a little more...I don't know..."whiz bang, wowee" in your voice.  But hey whatever you do is fine (like I could do any better).  I like the podcast.

I like that you chose the Toothpick Kid (the sidekick) as the POV character.  Was the name Superspiff inpired by Spaceman Spiff from Calvin and Hobbes?

Thanks, Swamp.  I'll work at more inflection in my voice -- although I could totally get behind having a Ben Phillips-esque voice :)  It's funny, though.  When I've read this aloud to small audiences, I've been very animated.  I could tell the animation wasn't coming across in the voice recording.  So I'll work on it!

I will definitely work on a promo to get sent out to places.  Hopefully sometime between me recording episodes 2 and 3. 

And I do love those old Calvin and Hobbes comic strips.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 05:26:20 PM
It's now in the itunes directory!

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:49:33 PM
Bob Smith is a hilarious name for a super hero.

OK. I listened to this again (on iTunes, I'm subscribed). 

Doh!  Bob Smith is not a super hero; he's the comic book writer.  I obviously missed that on the first listen.  You should have told me I was being a dolt. 

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:47:46 PM
Good stuff sir!  Grabbing it now.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 11:07:28 PM
Bob Smith is a hilarious name for a super hero.

OK. I listened to this again (on iTunes, I'm subscribed). 

Doh!  Bob Smith is not a super hero; he's the comic book writer.  I obviously missed that on the first listen.  You should have told me I was being a dolt. 

I may call you many things, but a dolt is not one of them.   ;)

Actually, one thing I've noticed after reading the first chapter is that there's a lot crammed into it, especially a lot of characters.  And you're not the only person to think that superheroes are normal occurences in the story's world.  They aren't, not like they are in Playing for Keeps or Union Dues.  But I think Birdless was also under a similar impression for some reason -- he wondered if the Cyber-Commandos might possibly be government-sanctioned agents.  They aren't. 

As far as most of the world is concerned, superheroes are comic book fodder, and not real.  Grant, Dominic, and a few others are the exception, but they're part of a small minority.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:24:41 PM
I think what set me in that direction is the golden rule that "everyone has a secret identity".  I was looking for it from the start.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 11:29:35 PM
I think what set me in that direction is the golden rule that "everyone has a secret identity".  I was looking for it from the start.

As you should be!  ;D

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 02:09:40 AM
It's here!  Episode 1 of my podcast, "The Unbelievable Origin of Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid" is now up at my new website Dave Shot First

Do let us know when you have a feed that I can subscribe to.

Downloading ep1 now.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 05:57:40 AM
entertaining, but i had some serious issues with the audio; especially the vocals were swung all the way to the left. the music was ok but vocals were left ear only.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:29:15 AM
entertaining, but i had some serious issues with the audio; especially the vocals were swung all the way to the left. the music was ok but vocals were left ear only.

Hrm.  I do apologize on that.  Not at all sure why that happened but it will be corrected the next time around. 

Steph, I'm working on getting the feed correct (it's at the bottom of the page).  There's been some problems with half the computers/browsers it seems (comes up fine for me at home on Firefox, no dice at work on Internet Explorer...).  I'm trying to get it figured out, but I'm not the most tech-savvy, so it might take a couple of days. 

Also, it's now available in the itunes store if that's your thing.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 01:21:49 PM
Steph, I'm working on getting the feed correct (it's at the bottom of the page).  There's been some problems with half the computers/browsers it seems (comes up fine for me at home on Firefox, no dice at work on Internet Explorer...).  I'm trying to get it figured out, but I'm not the most tech-savvy, so it might take a couple of days. 

Bollocks Internet Explorer.  The sooner it's fallen into complete disuse the better off we'll all be.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 04:21:52 PM
Episode 2 up! 

The secrets of Wayne Enterprises REVEALED! 

(And best of all, I think the sound quality is fixed.  Or at least, improved.)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 05:20:34 PM
Also, it's now available in the itunes store if that's your thing.

Just noticed that.  Will download tonight/tomorrow.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 11:19:31 AM
I enjoyed it.  The whole Wayne Enterprises thing was a nice touch.

I get the feeling this is more Dominic's story than Grant's.  Maybe that's me.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 04:33:23 PM
Episode 3: Special Edition, is out now!  I'll try to get Episode out before next weekend's over. 

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 01:28:56 AM
The audio balance on the intro was a bit weird; perhaps it wasn't balanced quite right for a multi-speaker system.  I don't know.  (My car has six.)  Also, you popped a lot of consonants in the beginning.  Do you have a microphone condom?  (Mic shield.)  They're a few bucks at most music stores, or you can speak across the microphone's pickup area -- that is, point the mic straight down and speak at the area below the microphone, going perpendicular into it instead of straight in.

Just a few small suggestions from a former radio guy.

I'm still wondering how Annoying Girl is going to work into the story.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 05:33:21 AM
All the feedback is much appreciated.

I need a condom, I think.  I can't stop popping consonants, especially P's.  I'll look into picking one up.  The audio balance is still off and for the life of me I can't figure out how the hell to correct it.  With the first episode, I realized the balance had been accidentally tweaked, which was easy to fix.  But for some reason, the audio still favors the left speaker... ???

Also, I should apologize.  For some reason, I completely screwed up the editing at the end.  So I took it down, re-edited it, and posted it again (just now).  It should be better now.  I really don't know how I messed it up. 

The next chapter will give you a lot more of annoying girl, and will give a bit of insight into what her purpose is.  Hope you dig it and thanks for listening!

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 12:47:21 PM
All the feedback is much appreciated.

I need a condom, I think.  I can't stop popping consonants, especially P's.  I'll look into picking one up. 

Trust me, I still do this all the time, even sometimes with a condom.  It all comes down to practice, and to... I guess you could say "controlling"... the way you say hard consonants.  I can't really explain it in words.  There's a chance I'm coming out to LA sometime in the next six months; we can hang out.  I can show you.  :D

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 04:30:48 PM
Sounds good.  You've got my email address!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 01:05:43 AM
Episode 3: Special Edition, is out now!  I'll try to get Episode out before next weekend's over. 
PLEASE fix the voice balance so it's more evenly spread across both channels.  It's really bothersome to have it almost completely in the left ear; sometimes when I listen I can only have one earphone and it's usually the right.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 03:55:04 PM
PLEASE fix the voice balance so it's more evenly spread across both channels.  It's really bothersome to have it almost completely in the left ear; sometimes when I listen I can only have one earphone and it's usually the right.

I'll work on it some more.  Honestly, I'm having a bitch of the time figuring out what the problem is.  It doesn't seem to be an equalizer problem (although it was on the first episode).  The music plays it both ears, right?  Maybe I should just record everything next time on the music track/channel.

Anyway, I will work on it.  Thanks for caring enough to mention it again and stick with it.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22:26 PM

I'll work on it some more.  Honestly, I'm having a bitch of the time figuring out what the problem is.  It doesn't seem to be an equalizer problem (although it was on the first episode).  The music plays it both ears, right?  Maybe I should just record everything next time on the music track/channel.

Anyway, I will work on it.  Thanks for caring enough to mention it again and stick with it.

Perhaps you only have a mono input on your microphone/mic line in.  If that is the case, you can "force" it to become dual-channel by mixing it down.  I can do it in Adobe Audition; not so much in Audacity because I've never used that product.

If you have an audio board (you can get them at Guitar Center or similar; they have some good ones under $150) you can plug your microphone into that, and the board will spit out a stereo signal into your computer.  If your computer's mic/line-in port is stereo, this will solve the problem.  (Or, at least, it should.)  Go to a music store, talk to a production guy, ask his opinion.  (Or her opinion, if it's a girl.)  Or call a friend who works in radio.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 05:32:08 PM

New episode's up now!  Girls Just Wanna Kick Butt.  Listener wanted more of the freckle-faced redhead with attitude.  Here she is. 

(Does it bother anyone that I update this here? I was thinking about stopping, but it seems like I get more discussion here than I do on the actual page  :D so I keep doing it.)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 05:45:48 PM
(Does it bother anyone that I update this here? I was thinking about stopping, but it seems like I get more discussion here than I do on the actual page  :D so I keep doing it.)

I have no problem with it.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 05:52:29 PM

New episode's up now!  Girls Just Wanna Kick Butt.  Listener wanted more of the freckle-faced redhead with attitude.  Here she is. 

So are you actually doing write-revise-podcast?  Or are you podcasting chapters you wrote a while back while working on new ones like 5-6 down the road?

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 05:59:30 PM
New episode's up now!  Girls Just Wanna Kick Butt. 

My download in iTunes showed the title as Ep. 3 not Ep. 4.  Just an annoying little issue.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 06:15:18 PM

My download in iTunes showed the title as Ep. 3 not Ep. 4.  Just an annoying little issue.

Ugh.  That is annoying.  Sorry!  I'll see if I can fix it once I get home.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 06:17:14 PM

So are you actually doing write-revise-podcast?  Or are you podcasting chapters you wrote a while back while working on new ones like 5-6 down the road?

I've got the whole book written, actually, and I'm only just polishing it up a bit before I podcast it.  Except for the next episode.  That one, I decided to totally scrap and rewrite because I wasn't happy with what I had anymore, and I thought it'd be a good little experiement for me. 

So the way it worked out with your comment was a happy accident :)

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 06:23:22 PM

I've got the whole book written, actually, and I'm only just polishing it up a bit before I podcast it.  Except for the next episode.  That one, I decided to totally scrap and rewrite because I wasn't happy with what I had anymore, and I thought it'd be a good little experiement for me. 

So the way it worked out with your comment was a happy accident :)

Indeed.  Something similar happened while I was posting "Shell Game" -- I did it 2-3 chapters in advance, and people were starting to guess about the plot developments.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 06:33:47 PM

Ugh.  That is annoying.  Sorry!  I'll see if I can fix it once I get home.

No problem.  I just thought you'd want to know.  

BTW I loved the episode.  Street Fighter II brought back a lot of fun memories.  My friend always played Blanca and he always kicked my butt.  For some reason, I always played E. Honda.  I think I just picked him once and liked his 100-hand slap power, so I became determined to see if I could win all the way with him, and I did, a fortune's worth of quarters later.  Sometimes I think if I would have saved all of the money I spent on comic books and video games as a kid, I'd be a rich man.

I didn't say anything last episode, but the "Telepathy?  That's a girl's power." line made me laugh.  It sounded like a perfect replay of what two boys talking about comics would say.  Very funny.

It's good not to worry about people comparing this story to your more chilling stuff.  It just shows you can write lots of different type of stuff.  I'm enjoying it.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #34 on: August 21, 2008, 05:26:39 PM
The Unbelievable Origin of Cyberpunk is up!  Last episode, Dominic cracked open the very first issue of the Cyberpunk comic to share with Anne.  This episode is that comic book.  It was fun to read a slightly darker thriller in the midst of this light-hearted kids book.  And I'm obviously very happy with the way the rewrite of it all turned out. 

Thanks for your patience.  I hope it was worth your wait!

goatkeeper

Reply #35 on: August 21, 2008, 07:41:10 PM
What is your recording setup and your editing software?  I'm pretty sure this left channel problem is something that will make you slap yourself and go "that was the problem!!??"

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #36 on: August 21, 2008, 08:06:14 PM
What is your recording setup and your editing software?  I'm pretty sure this left channel problem is something that will make you slap yourself and go "that was the problem!!??"

Are you listening to the current episode?  It should be fixed by now, but if it's not, let me know.  (It sounded okay on my headphones, at least.)  It did make me slap myself when I found out that was the problem.  (It was on stereo input instead of channel 1 or channel 2.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:16:07 PM by DKT »

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 01:07:43 AM

Are you listening to the current episode?  It should be fixed by now, but if it's not, let me know.  (It sounded okay on my headphones, at least.)  It did make me slap myself when I found out that was the problem.  (It was on stereo input instead of channel 1 or channel 2.)

If it persists, try mixing down your stereo voice track to a mono track, then laying it into your timeline.  When you master the 'cast as stereo, it SHOULD evenly distribute to both channels 1 and 2.

goatkeeper

Reply #38 on: August 22, 2008, 02:22:29 AM

No I haven't yet, but I suspected you had it set on stereo so I'm sure it's fixed now.  :-) 

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:00 AM
I can tell from the latest chapter that you really love comics, because this really does read like an origin story... start with something horrible happening now, flash back, etc...

You called Cyberpunk "Billy Gibson" on purpose, I'm guessing, as an homage to William Gibson?

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 12:48:40 PM
The signal of success, Dave:

I get in the car the other day with my daughter and my iPod, and before I can make a selection my seven year old daughter says,"Do you have any more episodes of Superspiff and the Toothpick kid?"

Somebody out there is waiting in anticipation!  :)

As an amusing sidenote, she also commented about how much she liked the music. Imagine her surprise when I told her where it came from.  :P

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

shwankie

Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 07:58:40 PM
Just got a chance to listen to #1 & 2, and am eagerly awaiting a moment or five to listen to the next episode. So far, it's really enjoyable.

As someone else said, the sound difficulties in the first one seem corrected, and that would have been my only negative comment. You reading is great, and your voice works quite well. The characters are well-written, very believable, and so much like my 14 year old nephew it's kind of creepy.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:19 PM

I get in the car the other day with my daughter and my iPod, and before I can make a selection my seven year old daughter says,"Do you have any more episodes of Superspiff and the Toothpick kid?"

Sweet!  That's a great compliment!  I was wondering if there were any kids out there listening somehow :)

As an amusing sidenote, she also commented about how much she liked the music. Imagine her surprise when I told her where it came from.  :P

That is HIGHLY amusing.  (For those not amused, Tangential Cold, who does the closing music for the podcast, is Anarkey's husband.)

Just got a chance to listen to #1 & 2, and am eagerly awaiting a moment or five to listen to the next episode. So far, it's really enjoyable.

As someone else said, the sound difficulties in the first one seem corrected, and that would have been my only negative comment. You reading is great, and your voice works quite well. The characters are well-written, very believable, and so much like my 14 year old nephew it's kind of creepy.

Um, actually Auntie Shwankie, there's something I've been meaning to tell you for a while...  ;)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 01:14:16 PM
Good stuff, Dave:)  Just got caught up and you're doing a grand job here:)

shwankie

Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 04:33:33 PM

Sweet!  That's a great compliment!  I was wondering if there were any kids out there listening somehow :)

That is HIGHLY amusing.  (For those not amused, Tangential Cold, who does the closing music for the podcast, is Anarkey's husband.)

Um, actually Auntie Shwankie, there's something I've been meaning to tell you for a while...  ;)

Hey, if it meant the kid was reading comics (or anything at all: newspapers, "Heroes wanted ads," even the back of a cereal box would be a start), I'd sew him his next costume and have 'Munths make him a ray gun.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #45 on: September 10, 2008, 03:53:40 PM
You knew it had to happen...In this episode: Superspiff vs. the Toothpick Kid.  'nuff said :)  Hope you all dig it. 

Next week's going to be a much longer episode.  I should probably start recording it, like, now.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 04:33:41 AM
As it's my birthday (almost my belated birthday, but not quite by my time standards), I decided upon the gameplan of kicking off work early, going home, and recording the most thrilling, toupee spilling, William Shatner impersonating, ridiculous Superspiff and Toothpick Kid episode yet for all of you!  Happy Birthday to and from me, to everyone who's listening (and it looks like some of you have already snagged it, which is awesome).  Yes, I really do impersonate William Shatner in the story.  I also sing happy birthday to myself in what I think might be my best intro yet.  YMMDV (Your Mileage May Definitely Vary.)

Honestly, this was a great, creative way for me to spend a few hours of my birthday. Hope you all like it :)

Russell Nash

Reply #47 on: October 13, 2008, 09:11:57 PM
I got way behind with the kids being home and have been trying to get caught back up.  I'm only a couple behind now and really having fun.  I'm very glad you got your audio problems worked out.

I can't listen to it with the kids around though.  The music makes them both grab there ears and scream, "turn it off!"  What can I say?  My kids are being raised on the likes of Billy Joel, Cole Porter, and The Beatles.

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 05:35:14 AM
Aww c'mon, really???  I don't mind the music at all.
Maybe your kids are body snatchers- they tend to stop and point and start screaming at stuff a lot.... I mean, I'm just sayin.

Russell Nash

Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 06:13:25 AM
Aww c'mon, really???  I don't mind the music at all.
Maybe your kids are body snatchers- they tend to stop and point and start screaming at stuff a lot.... I mean, I'm just sayin.

My kids just prefer real instruments and not mid-80's synth pop.  It sounds like the theme song to a bad sci-fi show on ABC.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 04:41:50 PM
My kids are being raised on the likes of Billy Joel, Cole Porter, and The Beatles.

Who?

Nah, just messing with you.  Actually, I tend to prefer bands, but unfortunately the Beatles and U2 aren't really big on Creative Commons.  When I was digging through all the music at the podsafe music network, I couldn't find anything that worked (and I spent hours there).  Then, at the very last minute, I got sent both those songs, and I think they fit pretty perfectly.  (I love closing with Tangential Cold's Cinema Shuffle.) 

I have a Superspiff and Toothpick Kid playlist (and a Cyberpunk one). I should post them sometime...

I've recorded the new episode, just have to finish editing it. It's going to be a bit longer than the ohters, I think.  Should be up tonight.

Russell Nash

Reply #51 on: October 14, 2008, 05:06:04 PM
Don't post something yet.  Let me enjoy being caught up for a little while.  I just finished the last one before lunch today.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #52 on: October 15, 2008, 03:35:08 PM
Don't post something yet.  Let me enjoy being caught up for a little while.  I just finished the last one before lunch today.

Nash giveth and Nash taketh away.  You get a day's grace, man. 

Note to others considering doing a podcast: when deciding to edit between late at night and early in the morning, edit late at night.  That way you don't run out of time. 

So, yeah, hopefully tonight. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #53 on: October 16, 2008, 06:51:15 AM
Time's up, Nash. Double issue this time. It's a 50/50 split between the Cyberpunk Special Limited Edition (Cyberpunk vs. the Cyber-Commandos) and Grant, Dominic, and Anne complaining about lame, overpriced special editions.  Hope you all like it!

I've already started working on the next episode, and I have to say, I think it's going to be a lot of fun. 

Now, I need to go to bed, though :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #54 on: October 30, 2008, 06:52:20 PM
New ep is up. Almost everyone vs. the Cyber-Commandos. 

I'm a bit sad.  That's 10 episode's down.  Only 2 more to go. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #55 on: October 31, 2008, 04:53:00 AM
New ep is up. Almost everyone vs. the Cyber-Commandos. 

I'm a bit sad.  That's 10 episode's down.  Only 2 more to go. 

Hey, that's good news!  It means that very soon I'll download and listen to it.  :)

(I haven't listened past the third episode I think; I let it slip because I have a hard time following serialized podcast fiction as it's released.)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 04:52:44 PM
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!  (Imagine that in full-on Sloth Goonies voice.)

The final episode of Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid is up!  So punch in and punch out, bastiches.  This is it.

Honestly, I'm a little bit sad it's over.  It's been a fun run.

For people like stePH who've been waiting to listen, I'd recommend grabbing the first three episodes off the website.  I fixed the sound on them so it's in both ears, now.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 08:02:08 PM
For people like stePH who've been waiting to listen, I'd recommend grabbing the first three episodes off the website.  I fixed the sound on them so it's in both ears, now.

You just made my day.  ;D  I'll delete everything I've got so far and just start over.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #58 on: November 29, 2008, 12:58:19 AM
every comicbook tribute needs a fastball special. =)

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #59 on: December 01, 2008, 09:48:50 PM
You got added. Having a loving community in Escape Pod is so nice, isn't it?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #60 on: December 02, 2008, 06:03:07 PM
Thank you, sir. I hope you enjoy it, mad as you are  ;)

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #61 on: December 02, 2008, 07:09:25 PM
I love having this username.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #62 on: December 03, 2008, 03:47:22 AM
Got around to listening today, made it through episode 3 by the end of lunchtime.  (Holy shit, I'm famous!  ;D)

[edit] Correction; it's episode 4 that makes me famous, so that's how far I got though lunchtime yesterday.  And episode 5 last night before bed.  And halfway through episode 9 today.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:30:31 AM by stePH »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #63 on: December 05, 2008, 06:16:29 PM
Wow, you're really flying through it.  And if you think that's fame, you should've heard the test I recorded to make sure the whole sound thing had been solved.  Dave has a potty mouth :)

Interesting note: More people have downloaded Ep. 5 -- the standalone Cyberpunk story -- than any other episode in the podcast.

Swamp

• Hipparch
Reply #64 on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:11 PM
Interesting note: More people have downloaded Ep. 5 -- the standalone Cyberpunk story -- than any other episode in the podcast.

I'm telling you, you need to find an artist to work with to develop a Cyberpunk web comic.

By the way, I've listened to the last episode and was very pleased with how everything turned out.  It was nice to see that Sam guy included.  Excelsior!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 07:49:49 PM
Thanks, man. I'm glad you enjoyed it all the way through :)

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #66 on: December 06, 2008, 05:20:10 AM
Wow, you're really flying through it.
Finished today.  Good work.  :)  I like how you worked the superhero genre in a way completely unlike either DeRego's "Union Dues" or Lafferty's Playing for Keeps, or even Brave Men Run (of which, the author's name currently escapes me). 

I wonder though why "Sam Lee" when you named existing comic book heroes such as Superman, Batman, Punisher, and Spawn without feeling the need to fudge their names?

WTF?  ???  Get the whole thing you assholes!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #67 on: December 06, 2008, 05:27:17 PM
damn im gonna have to start listening, this sounds good!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #68 on: December 06, 2008, 07:08:55 PM
damn im gonna have to start listening, this sounds good!

Sound quality still very poor in the first three episodes (though admittedly improved over initial release).  But worth suffering through for the content.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #69 on: December 06, 2008, 10:15:27 PM
I wonder though why "Sam Lee" when you named existing comic book heroes such as Superman, Batman, Punisher, and Spawn without feeling the need to fudge their names?

I tried to only use Spidey, Wolvie, Bats, Hornhead, etc. as reference points in comic books but not as characters in the story.  But with characters like Sam Lee, Bob Smith, and Jason, I tweaked their names just a little bit.  Even when I went through Sam Lee's list of comic credits, I decided it might be better to use fake comic book characters.

bdoomed, I think I got better at sound quality as I went.  Hope you enjoy it!

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #70 on: December 06, 2008, 10:54:04 PM

I tried to only use Spidey, Wolvie, Bats, Hornhead, etc. as reference points in comic books but not as characters in the story.  But with characters like Sam Lee, Bob Smith, and Jason, I tweaked their names just a little bit. 
I didn't pick up on who "Bob Smith" and "Jason" were supposed to be*.  Enlighten me please? (I'm not much of a comic book geek; I collected some X-Men and the first dozen or so issues of The New Mutants back in the day but apart from that I only know the "big" names.)

And yes, sound quality improved dramatically with the fourth episode.  Good job.  :)

* I think I get it though ... comic book characters can be named out in the open, but for people who actually exist in our world, you had to at least make a token effort to fictionalize them, ne?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 05:19:18 AM by stePH »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #71 on: December 07, 2008, 09:42:22 PM
yea i listened to the first two and i had to put on headphones on my computer and turn the volume all the way up, and even then sometimes the sound jumps and falls in volume.  either way the story has ensnared me and keeps me listening even with the quality.
subscribed too but its only 4th ep onward, so i just have to listen to the 3rd one on your website and then it'll be easier.

so far i'm liking it!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 01:19:52 AM
I think I get it though ... comic book characters can be named out in the open, but for people who actually exist in our world, you had to at least make a token effort to fictionalize them, ne?

Yeah, that's pretty much it :)

I didn't pick up on who "Bob Smith" and "Jason" were supposed to be*.  Enlighten me please? (I'm not much of a comic book geek; I collected some X-Men and the first dozen or so issues of The New Mutants back in the day but apart from that I only know the "big" names.)

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard Jason and Bob Smith are the secret identities of Jay and Silent Bob.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 03:00:31 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I've heard Jason and Bob Smith are the secret identities of Jay and Silent Bob.

But J&SB are, to quote Ben Affleck as Holden McNeil, "FICTIONAL CHARACTERS!"

That makes sense, though.  Next time I listen I'll keep that in mind.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #74 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34:31 AM
audio is definitely better ep 4+
i would maybe go so far as to re-record the first three so as to not turn off any potential listeners

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #75 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:59 PM
Where can I get episodes 1,2 and 3?  They aren't on ITunes and I couldn't see how to download them from your site.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #76 on: December 19, 2008, 10:45:18 PM
Here they are!

Hope you enjoy it. The audio quality in those first three episodes is a bit low...but it picks up around episode 4.