Author Topic: The board layout  (Read 7578 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: January 04, 2007, 07:40:13 AM
Good?  Bad?  Is it pretty easy to figure out the content structure?  Any topics you'd like to see in addition to these?

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Ryuujin

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:03:57 AM
Well, I've used SMF back in the days, so to speak. I even used to do a bit of bugfixing on their releases whenever I found something that needed fixing. But I must admit that nowadays they pretty much have got it down.

I wasn't familiar with this style before I saw the forum itself, but I'm very much liking it - and if you by any chance happen to know my views on websites, it takes something extra to make me like it, so that could be considered a plus.
For some strange reason, I've always liked layouts like these, but I can't explain exactly why. It's a pleasing sort of mess with logic to it, I guess.

Another thing I really dig is the keyboard shortcuts like alt+s to post and so forth. It makes it alot easier avoiding using the mouse, which is good if you can do it.

Anyhow, I don't know if you're planning on having more content on the forum itself (more offtopic boards perhaps, depending on if it should be primarily a writer fora or a scifi and writer fora). Of course, the more books you get written and published, the more sections you will probably need.

It might also be an idea to have seperate foras for each general type of science fiction (eg. speculative science fiction, "real" science fiction and everything else; I don't know all of them, since I'm not a writer myself (although I think I am imaginative enough to be one, I'm just too busy with work and stuff to settle down to begin writing)

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:17:39 PM
You mentioned once that you were going to start a board where people could post works in progress for others to comment on/critique - much like the forums from the flash contest.  Are you still planning on doing that?  After the contest, I assume?

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 11:54:11 PM
i like the layout as it is, but i think you should put up a few skins to give variety, let people change the look if they want to.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Startrekwiki

Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:29:08 PM
i like the layout as it is, but i think you should put up a few skins to give variety, let people change the look if they want to.

Yes, and maybe a way to customize the colors. Maybe a contest can be set up for the best skin...

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 03:07:29 AM
You mentioned once that you were going to start a board where people could post works in progress for others to comment on/critique - much like the forums from the flash contest. [snip]

About the flash contest forums - Is it possible to have the sub-forums under Escape Artists > Escape Pod > Contests > Flash Contest not appear in the "Jump to:" drop-down menu? They make it less convenient to use that navigation tool because it usually requires scrolling.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:15:28 PM
...a writer fora...
...seperate foras...
Just because I'm an incorrigible pedant, "fora"is the plural of "forum"

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:29:33 AM
Is it possible to have the sub-forums under Escape Artists > Escape Pod > Contests > Flash Contest not appear in the "Jump to:" drop-down menu?
Update:
I discovered the "Show child boards on every page inside boards, not just the first." checkbox item in my Profile setup, but that doesn't affect the drop-down menu for "Jump to:".

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")