Author Topic: Poll poll  (Read 4977 times)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
on: August 03, 2008, 12:07:29 AM
Polls seem to be very popular, but they're hard to keep up with being scattered all over the forums.
Thoughts?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 12:38:23 AM
On the other forum I frequent, there's a special area for polls.  Not exclusively polls, but all polls seem to be in that particular subforum.

Most polls here seem to be in Gallimaufry, so I don't really see an issue.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:06:26 AM
I think keeping polls where they are is reasonable enough. For the time being, the forums here are somewhat low traffic; thus the polls reflect the votes of those who are drawn to whatever topic they are posted under, which makes sense. Actually some way to see what polls I've voted in my profile would be nice, but as this seems to be a pre-set forum layout (Nathan Lowell has the identical layout for his forums board, which made me do a double take when I checked it out), I dont think that's possible.

As an aside, thanks to this thread, I found an entertaining feature I wasn't previously aware of.. if you click the profile tag, then click "show the general statistics" at the bottom you get some interesting stats. :)

zZzacha

• Peltast
  • Did I just say that?
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:17:45 PM
Even though I voted 'yes', I do agree with what Talia is saying here. It's okay to keep the polls between the other posts.

I do miss some polls however, because they are not evident enough in the post listing. It may help if the title of the polls had something like "Poll: ..." in them, so I would recognize them as they are meant to be.
The title of this Poll poll grabbed my attention and I knew immediately what was expected of me  :]

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:27:44 PM
polls are fine where they are.  they are really only in Gallimaufry at the moment, which seems as good of a place as any.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:00:35 PM
polls are fine where they are.  they are really only in Gallimaufry at the moment, which seems as good of a place as any.

A couple have shown up in the Pseudopod and Podcastle forums, but they've been about favorite stories.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Windup

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 05:22:32 AM

I think polls should be placed based on their content, just like any other post.  If the author wants to highlight a poll to build participation, put "Poll" in the subject line.

"My whole job is in the space between 'should be' and 'is.' It's a big space."