Author Topic: Australian Needed  (Read 5509 times)

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
    • The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine
on: August 12, 2008, 05:22:25 PM
Hopefully it's okay for me to come here and ask about this...If not, mod, feel free to delete the thread.

We are new to the whole podcasting community, so we don't know very many people.  We have a story set in Australia that we are doing for our podcast, and we suck at doing Australian accents.  Is there an Australian on these boards that would like to read a cool story?    Or maybe you know an Australian that would be willing to do a reading?  The main character is male, and there are two female characters as well.  We like to try to get a different person for each character, but we'd be entirely happy if we could get one Australian male that would do all the parts if necessary.  Maybe even a New Zealander...how different is the accent there?   Anyway, if you know someone who is up to this or are someone who is up to this, let us know.  Thanks.

Check out some great stories at The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine

eytanz

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:27:11 PM
Maybe even a New Zealander...how different is the accent there? 

Different enough that anyone from Australia or New Zealand would instantly recognize a mismatch. You'll probably get away with it in the rest of the world, more due to unfamiliarity than similarity.

I'm legally Australian, but I'm afraid that my accent is most notably not, so I can't volunteer. Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:23:15 AM by eytanz »

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:15:32 AM

Different enough that anyone from Australia or New Zealand would instantly recognize a mismatch. You'll probably get away with it in the rest of the world, more due to unfamiliarity than similarity.

Most definitely. There was a Pseudopod a few months ago which was set in Australia but had a Kiwi reader, and it just didn't work for my Australian ears. I lived in NZ for thirteen years, but I've been here in Australia for the last nineteen, yet I have enough of a Kiwi accent to be noticeable.

I'd be happy to volunteer, but I do suffer from a serious lack of time and recording gear.

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 05:28:29 PM
I'd be happy to volunteer, but I do suffer from a serious lack of time and recording gear.

Does that mean you'd like to volunteer but don't have the time or equipment?  Or that you volunteer but it'll take a while before you're done and sound like crap?  Or something else?  I'll send you out the story if you're willing to give it a shot.  I have programs that can reduce noise from audio and so forth, so we should be able to make it sound OK.  What do you say?

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:21:51 PM
Sort of somewhere between the two. I'd like to volunteer, it'll take a while before I can commit to doing it, and it might need cleaning up. Send me the story anyway (I'll PM you my email address) and I'll have a look.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 03:48:55 PM

I'm legally Australian, but I'm afraid that my accent is most notably not, so I can't volunteer. Sorry.

I now have this horrible vision of illegal Australians running around, terrorizing the legal ones.  How do you recognize an illegal Australian?  Do they sneer a lot, or walk with a limp?  Who do you call to report one?

Hmm... must research...

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:32:03 PM
If you want a female Aussie accent, then I'm up for it. I can do Aussie, really bad Aussie, and breaking-windows-at-the-end-of-every-sentance-Aussie. What can I say? I'm a multi-talent.

I have a mic etc but it isn't top of the line, so you'd have to decide if the audio quality is what you want.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

The Dunesteef

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:38:27 PM
That sounds great.  There is a female character in the story, and we really like to get different people to do the different characters if at all possible.  PM me your email address and I'll send you the story.