Author Topic: the yellow wallpaper  (Read 7759 times)

deflective

• Hipparch
on: August 17, 2008, 06:31:49 AM
an incredibly strong week for horrorcasting.
not only did pseudopod have two solid stories, the cthulhu podcast had a new episode and classic tales did an excellent reading of the yellow wallpaper. i'd heard of the story but never had a chance to read it.

damn. this is undeniably the strongest lovecraft styled story i know of. and it's freakin' semi-autobiographical!

goatkeeper

Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:18:28 PM
Yah I just listened to that- great story eh>?

errant371

• Palmer
  • I for one welcome our new isopod overlords.
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:51:01 PM
Cthulhu Podcast?  Do you have a web address for that?

What part of 'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' didn't you understand?

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:14:57 PM

errant371

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:21:35 PM
Many thanks Russell!

What part of 'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn' didn't you understand?

Russell Nash

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:53:39 PM
Many thanks Russell!

We aim to please.

errant371

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:49:00 PM
Strange.  I subscribed and downloaded all the episodes from that feed and did not see "The Yellow Wallpaper".  It did have "The Yellow Sign" so I was not disappointed.  Perhaps I have subscribed to the wrong podcast, but I am impressed with the one I have subscribed to.  Good selection of stories, and nice little history lessons about the era Lovecraft was writing in.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:10:25 PM
the yellow wallpaper was on the classic tales podcast, the episode was linked in the first post. if you're interested in subscribing to the feed you'll find it (and others) in the short story podcast poll.

looking at it: the new yorker had sign language, this american life had afraid to sleep, and there was a variant frequency episode as well. it was halloween in august.

errant371

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:04 PM
Thank you again for the information.  Greatly appreciated.  Upon re-reading the OP I have realized that I had misread it the first time.  Heatstroke FTL!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:32:54 PM
I really need to subscribe to Classic Tales.  I keep hearing good things about it.

I remember reading the Yellow Wallpaper in high school.  It was an incredibly creepy story. 

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:11:02 PM
I really need to subscribe to Classic Tales.  I keep hearing good things about it.

I remember reading the Yellow Wallpaper in high school.  It was an incredibly creepy story. 

DK,

It's really good.  The narrator is VERY vocally talented and manages to breathe life into stories that would have seemed 'musty' to me previously.  It's good stuff. Get thee over there!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 03:46:21 PM

DK,

It's really good.  The narrator is VERY vocally talented and manages to breathe life into stories that would have seemed 'musty' to me previously.  It's good stuff. Get thee over there!

I concur.  It's amazing how interested I get in the stories.  The Yellow Wallpaper was incredibly done.  B.J. Harrison is incredible.  I even like his female voices. 

In his reading of Bernice Bobs Her Hair, I was so emgrossed I barely noticed most of the reading was from a male in a female voice.  That's another thing.  If you gave me a choice of what to listen to, and included a story about clashes of social femininity in the 1920's (Bernice), I probably would have passed.  But I was completely into the story.  I think that is due to the talent of B.J. and also the power of classic literature.

My only slight quibble about Classic Tales is that B.J. only keeps the last two or three episodes available on the website and feed.  The older stories are available at Audible.com for a small price.  On the other hand, I don't begrudge B.J. making business decisions especially based on the popularity of his work.  It's just not what I'm used to in podcasting.  He's not asking for donations so...

He also recently started a promotion where he will record audiobooks for unpublished authors.  Check out the site.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 03:50:27 PM by Swamp »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 05:17:34 PM

DK,

I concur.  It's amazing how interested I get in the stories.  The Yellow Wallpaper was incredibly done.  B.J. Harrison is incredible.  I even like his female voices. 

In his reading of Bernice Bobs Her Hair, I was so emgrossed I barely noticed most of the reading was from a male in a female voice.  That's another thing.  If you gave me a choice of what to listen to, and included a story about clashes of social femininity in the 1920's (Bernice), I probably would have passed.  But I was completely into the story.  I think that is due to the talent of B.J. and also the power of classic literature.

My only slight quibble about Classic Tales is that B.J. only keeps the last two or three episodes available on the website and feed.  The older stories are available at Audible.com for a small price.  On the other hand, I don't begrudge B.J. making business decisions especially based on the popularity of his work.  It's just not what I'm used to in podcasting.  He's not asking for donations so...

He also recently started a promotion where he will record audiobooks for unpublished authors.  Check out the site.

Since we're singing BJ's praises, let's not forget that he voiced PP100.  I found that to be a good example of his work.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 05:26:57 PM
So, I did subscribe to the feed after hearing everyone hear rant about it.  Unfortunately, back issues seem to be extremely limited and it looks like I have to pay almost $1.50 to hear them via Audible.  I'm not even sure I can listen to them for free on his site.  (Then again, it was late last night, and I can't see the site at work for some reason.) 

Is there some other way to hear the older episodes?  I'd love to hear more Lovecraft and some Sherlock Holmes.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 06:07:18 PM
So, I did subscribe to the feed after hearing everyone hear rant about it.  Unfortunately, back issues seem to be extremely limited and it looks like I have to pay almost $1.50 to hear them via Audible.  I'm not even sure I can listen to them for free on his site.  (Then again, it was late last night, and I can't see the site at work for some reason.) 

Is there some other way to hear the older episodes?  I'd love to hear more Lovecraft and some Sherlock Holmes.

As I alluded to earlier, this is the downside of Classic Tales.  B.J. Harrison doesn't seem to be a creative commons sort of guy.  I seem remember he used to keep his previous episodes available, but not anymore.  He may have seen the popularity of some of his stories and changed his model.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast