Author Topic: What is your preferred format for fiction?  (Read 6311 times)

Zathras

on: October 02, 2008, 07:00:04 PM
My favorite medium for reading is a used paperback.  Hardcover books seem too formal to me.  New paperbacks just don't have the same feel.

I listen to audiobooks and podcasts because I can do that while driving.  Generally I can get through more books when I read them instead of listening to them.

I am not knocking comics or graphic novels, but I don't like them.  I am a very smart person, but the layout of comics seems to be harder to follow than a novel.

I like to watch movies at home, where I don't have to put up with people.  I don't like going to the movies.  The special effects and surround don't do much for me. 

I will gladly follow up on this, but just wanted to see how everyone else feels.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:54 PM
My favorite medium for reading is a used paperback.  Hardcover books seem too formal to me.  New paperbacks just don't have the same feel.

I listen to audiobooks and podcasts because I can do that while driving.  Generally I can get through more books when I read them instead of listening to them.

I am not knocking comics or graphic novels, but I don't like them.  I am a very smart person, but the layout of comics seems to be harder to follow than a novel.

I like to watch movies at home, where I don't have to put up with people.  I don't like going to the movies.  The special effects and surround don't do much for me. 

I will gladly follow up on this, but just wanted to see how everyone else feels.

My preferred format is the printed page, whether pure text or comic book.  Closely followed by A/V programs (movies/teevee).  As you say, audiobooks and podcasts are good for being able to enjoy while doing something else.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:55:41 PM
I prefer to read my fiction etched in the sand on a deserted beach.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:58:07 PM
political speeches.
but seriously folks...

choosing a favourite medium is kinda like picking a favourite genre. i could come up with examples of good and bad for any of them, really they all have their place.

one thing that can be interesting is to watch a story change mediums. buffy season eight, fight club (ok, that's an adaptation. still impressive that they made a good movie out of it tho).

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:13:14 PM
I like it all.  Books, comics, TV, movies, podcasts/audiobooks.  It really depends on what kind of mood I'm in.  I love going to movie theaters but rarely get to do it anymore (and a lot of times, I also hate the immature crowds).  I love a nice long book.  I love listening to podcasts on commutes.  I like reading comic TPBs at lunch break or right before bed.  I've really come to love TV since Lost...I didn't think I could really like it that much (and I'm a pretty big X-Files fan).  I'm not that big into poetry, although I think I could be down with a poetry podcast.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:30:18 PM
It's kinda like comparing apples to swords to TI-83's. They do different things. Even among similar forms (Text vs. Acting) there are big differences — Flash will never be as psychologically complex as a novel because you have to rely on stereo/archetypes in order to get things understandable quickly. Movies can only inhabit a small portion of a character's life while TV series can more rigorously explore (there was a recent discussion somewhere around here about how short stories work better as movies and novels work better as TV series, this is why). Honestly, I prefer sitting down somewhere I won't be bothered and just pouring over reams of text to most other things. But I'm busy, so I use my audible subscription to read stuff I wouldn't be able to otherwise, and I can do something else (usually cooking or commuting) while I readlisten. I love watching TV and movies or going to plays with my girlfriend (By the way, if you can go see Wishful Drinking by/about/performed by Carrie Fisher, do (but treat the first few rows like the splash zone at Seaworld)). Now, certain bits of fiction can have a better medium (the Bourne movies are a lot better than the books for example), but good fiction is good fiction even if you have to translate it from morse code.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zathras

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:54:32 PM

Wouldn't that be your Friction?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 03:08:38 AM
I think Groucho Marx said it best:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  :P

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:34:15 AM

Same here on books: used broken-in paperbacks for me.  Great selection at Uncle Hugo's in Minneapolis if anyone is ever in the neighborhood.   They are cheaper and easier to lug around.  I also am not in to graphic stuff.

Movies:  love the big screen.  I have a 36 inch TV and DVD's don't have as much impact as the mega screen we have in our town.  I don't mind watching dramas at home but shows like Batman and Ironman were better on a big screen with the big sound.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 06:01:07 AM

Wouldn't that be your Friction?

OOOH well played!

*holds off beating you with a chair to applaud*

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 04:26:41 PM
It's kinda like comparing apples to swords to TI-83's. They do different things.
I think this is more like asking if you prefer apples, Swords, or TI-83's.
The same story read aloud to yourself or read aloud to someone will have a different impact.

I don't have a preferred form for fiction, but I do prefer some stories in particular formats. Union Dues I think I'd like more in a graphic novel. Fight Club made a great movie. StartWars 1-3 should have been burned in a fire.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Zathras

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 03:09:16 AM
OOOH well played!

*holds off beating you with a chair to applaud*

I went back and listened to Friction again.  I forgot just how much I liked that one.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled mauling.   :o

fuzzygnome

• Palmer
Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 05:45:42 AM
Audiobooks are my fav- not just because it's easier to multitask, but because when a story is read effectively I am able to enjoy different dimensions of it that I wouldn't have otherwise picked up on.

Unfortunately there aren't enough (good ones) out there.  With audio, the delivery is everything.  Right now only Escapepod, Pseudopod and Drabblecast do it for me.  Drabblecast has been doing amazing productions of stories by lots of Hugo winning authors lately and its reminding me that these podcasts (and we as fans!) have beat the herd to the oasis out there in the drying desert of print fiction. 

I guess, because there are so many different brains, that there will always be 'preferred formats'- some people are visual, not aural- but 'preferred format' will continue to be a narrowing set of options- I'm glad to be a subscriber to a few casts that will clearly be the leaders of things to come.

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 11:43:02 PM
I like a new trade paperback.  If the book is available in mass-market paperback, that's what I choose because of the price.  However, I prefer trade paperbacks because they're easiest on my eyes.  I only get hardback editions of books by authors that I just can't stand waiting for.  I just don't like reading hardbacks as much because I can't bend them.

I'm not a big fan of audio formats.  I can't focus on them as well as I can on the printed page.  With electronic formats, I tend to skip around too much.  If I see a short story online, I always print it out to read it.

I'm such a Neanderthal.

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 01:13:07 AM
I dislike reading fiction off a computer screen.  I think it may be my short attention span.  It's hard to get through a page without feeling the urge to see if any blogs I follow have updated or if there's a breaking news story I must know about.

I like audio fiction.  But I have set a rule for myself: I only listen to audio fiction when it's difficult or impossible for me to read a book.  So I listen to podcasts while on the bus, or subway, or out for a walk, or on the treadmill at the gym, or mopping the floor.  I need my podcasts to be nice and loud, so I can hear them clearly in noisy environments.  (That's why I have a problem with Well Told Tales, even though I like their stories and readings.  They tend to be too damn quiet for me to hear when I'm on public transportation.)

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

jodymonster

• Palmer
Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 10:38:53 PM
I too have a strange affinity for used books (and not just paperbacks); they seem to hold a little bit of extra story somehow.  It holds one, and it has one.  The book itself has a history.  Right now I'm reading a copy of From The Land Of Fear by Harlan Ellison published in 1973.  I will almost always buy an old used copy over a new one, unless it's not an option for whatever reason, or I'm being impulsive. 

I can't stand to read anything of length on a computer screen.  If it's more than three or four pages, I want a hard copy.

Other than that, for me it depends on the fiction. My old standby is always a trade paperback(It's the perfect size, and hardbacks are too heavy to lug around all day.), but there are some things I'd much rather hear in audio. I Killed Awesome Man is a great example.  I'm not big on superheros, and if I saw a copy of the exact same book in print I probably wouldn't have read more than a few pages.  It's a little too comic-book-action-y for me.  But since many (okay, most) of my favorite voices collaborated on it, I seem to enjoy it more.

I also usually prefer any kind of comedy in audio, because delivery is so important.  Of course, there's much more that can go wrong with audio fiction.   Bad sound quality or a bad reader can absolutely ruin an otherwise wonderful story.  On the other hand, a talented reader (we're lucky to get lots of those here) can breathe life into a story I would have otherwise found kinda mediocre. At that point it becomes more of a performance than a story though. 

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -Hunter S. Thompson

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 12:14:51 PM
Hard copy- portability, reading in bath ect. I also enjoy used books, partly because of the reduced price, but also because of the history. You can imagine a whole network of threads spreading into the past of this book's life, rich and varied like an old tapestry or a matured wine. Nowhere near as clean and clinical as a brand new book, and far more interesting because of its complexity and age.
Plus, I always feel guilty about breaking the spine of a brand new paperback. Like when you were a child and it snowed (Horribly rare in this part of the UK) and you wanted to enjoy it but didn't want to wreck the bleak white landscape, a world frozen in ice and snow... I've always felt more comfortable when someone else has already read the book first.

wolvesdread

• Extern
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 10:18:09 PM
It varies a lot based on where I am.  On the bus, I prefer a well-used (e.g. very flexible) paperback.  At home though, I prefer the heft of a hard cover.  The quality of the pages and the sound they make as you turn them.  The favorite bookmark found when opening them and replaced when closing.  The hearty thump the book makes when I set it down.  All these tactile facets of the experience warm me and all taken together form the texture that drives my biblioic-desires ;)

I don't like the covers though.  Oh, I love the selection of artwork and promises the chosen images give... but they feel like art to me and I don't want to muss them.  So I take them off, but then have no idea what to do with them.  I try to put them up high somewhere while I read the book so they won't get folded or torn.  I wish hard cover books came without those things.  Just the rough cloth binding.  If art must be included.  Make the title page glossy and colored hidden safely within.

In the car..  well PSEUDOPOD of course!

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 02:15:20 PM
My favorite delivery method is hard cover, though any medium is acceptable. 
I find that hard covers generally have larger print and my eyes wander on the page less than when I reading paperbacks.   

Audio formats are fine for me as long as the voice artists deliver a top notch performance. 

I generally do not like movies for my fiction because most screenwriters don't tend to pick up on the required fine points of a story;  HHGTTG and the Harry Potters are prime examples of this.

Nt 2 B TKN INTRNLY

• Palmer
  • Program Error: User "Daniel" Terminated
    • Brain Radiation
Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 06:45:26 PM
My favorite is definitely paperback. I'll go with anything, but digital and hardcover books just don't always work on the subway, when you're packed into a sardine can moving at high speeds. I love podcasts and my iPod for the exact same reason, but there's a problem with them; sometimes I'll be so into the story, that I'll end up spacing out completely and staring at a wall. Then I either miss my station, or look like I'm nuts.

I wonder what it would be like to feel my brain...

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 05:22:33 PM
I'm waiting for novels to be delivered by direct injection.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 05:54:40 PM
Does anyone here have a Kindle? I've been thinking about pooling my christmas money for that and a new lens (the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4).

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.