Author Topic: Pseudopod 106: Jihad over Innsmouth  (Read 18516 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 05, 2008, 02:30:27 PM
Pseudopod 106: Jihad over Innsmouth

By Edward Morris

Read by Ben Phillips

A cold, black, liquescent fear laps at the edges of my heart as I approach the first gate in the long Caliph’s Maze of Airport Security. Some darker force is trying to sway me unobtrusively away, to make me renege my retainer’s oath, cut my losses and run headlong to South America with the dwindling remains of my bank account.

Should I die on my quest, a first-class seat in Paradise awaits me. In my time, I have lived through every hell Shaitan could possibly devise right here on Earth, moving behind newspaper headlines which even Al-Jazeera fears to run. Enquiring minds want to know, but some truths are better left to the darkness at the center of the universe, to be drowned out by the skirlings of the blind piper and his retinue of idiot flute-players...

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 03:47:18 PM
Great story from Edward Morris.  I've read several things by him in MD that I liked, but this is easily my favorite.  The idea of the faithful Muslim Arab on an airplane being part of the last line of defense between us and true terror was fantastic -- as Alasdair said, it played with tropes and subverted them. 

Great reading by Ben, of course.  I especially liked his "pilot" voice.

I picked out that Stephen King (Dick Bachman) was the narrator's writing sponsor.  I couldn't quite figure out who the comic book writer was, but I had a few ideas (BKV or maybe Steve Niles -- I figure it's got to be a younger guy as the "kid" nickname).

Anyway, good stuff. 

Zathras

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 01:11:08 AM
I started out not caring too much for this story.  I really thought I was going to get hit upside the head with the stereotype stick through the whole thing.  I was thrilled with the direction it took.  I thought the comic writer was a nice touch.

Oh, and clobbering the YUPPI?  Priceless.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:24:27 PM
I was stoked as soon as I saw the title in my iPod. I started the story with baited breath. The story did not disappoint. I started listening, and I was expecting to hear from the perspective of an Innsmouthian, so having it be an Muslim was a surprise and thus lured me further into the story. As soon as he sat next to the tacklehead (rimshot), I was truly hooked into the story. When i had finished listening, I weighted it on the scales of entertainment, and it was not found wanting. I come from the school of Lovecfraft fans, and I am glad to have heard this tail.

I think I'm out of puns now. Go fish.

In other news, coincidentally, just two days ago I finished my rough draft of a story that takes place UNDER Innsmouth. Spooky. 

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:37:37 PM
YAY.  So often, writers work with the old Lovecraft material by trying to imitate HPL.  That might make sense if most of his fiction weren't coming up on 80 years old.  Great job of taking an old idea in a NEW direction.  Great reading from Ben, as always.  I also really appreciated Al's comments about the story at the end of the episode.  Nice job of helping me understand why I liked this story so much.  Incidently, I'd like to point out that Al has become my favorite podcast host, even surpassing Steve Eley in his Magnificent Host-iness.  Good job, Pseudopod Team!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:36:11 AM
This really threw me for a loop. Not much need be said beyond "wow!"

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Void Munashii

• Matross
  • twitter.com/VOIDMunashii
    • Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:15:33 AM
  I really enjoyed every minute of this story. It was well read, well written, and well paced. The imagery was fantastic, I could easily see the semi-human devouring his sushi.

I too got a kick out of the Stephen King reference, and take comfort knowing that all the money I have spent on his books over the years is going towards eradicating monsters.

"Mallville - A Journal of the Zombie Apocalypse"
http://mallvillestory.blogspot.com

600south

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:17:18 AM
(much welcomed and unexpected) plot directions aside, i really loved this one. i felt the writing was rich and vivid to the point where i felt i was sitting next to the main characters on that plane. the Reverend was so well-done i could almost smell him. probably one of my favorite Pseudopods ever, so thanks!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 02:40:44 PM
I also caught and appriciated the Stephen King reference! Thought that was a fun touch!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 07:23:54 PM
Very worried that this would go horribly wrong. And it did; but didn't! Well done PP!

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 10:13:02 PM
Damn, that was great, and as I mentioned before I'm not predisposed to like anything Lovecraft-related.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 03:13:52 AM
Based on the title I was ready to listen to a modern horror piece about Muslim extremists. Even as he wound through the Caliph's maze I thought the horror must be from seeing a suicide bombing from the inside (sounded terrifying to me), or perhaps the atrocities carried out by our 'civilized society' in the name of safety? Imagine my joy.. er, terror when it was Dagon! Woo-Hoo!

Personally, I think it's pretty damn cool that you guys ran a story with a Muslim hero.
Maybe Allah vs. Cthulhu will be the next Pirates vs. Ninjas?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

contra

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 12:03:16 AM
That was awesome.  Thanks.
I was expecting a cliche or something of terrible taste that would put me off Pseudopod for a while...

But no.  My fav one so far.  Well top 5.  Easily.

Thank you.

---
Mike---Glasgow.  Scotland.-->

cede

• Extern
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 04:09:34 PM
great story, long live richard bachman!!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 02:12:11 PM
I didn't expect it to be lovecraftian. The twist of the trope -- which I half-expected given that the main character is of Arabic descent -- was at least somewhat interesting.

I did not like the references to Mr. Bachman and "growing up in Arkham". They made the story less interesting to me, and more clever/cutesy.

I liked the surreal elements.

Is it really a two-hour flight from LaGuardia to Logan? Kayak.com says about an hour.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:29:22 AM
That was really fun, having read very little actual Lovecraft I suspect that there was a lot that went over my head, but it still left enough for me to enjoy. It left me wanting to know 'the kid's story, what he was doing being there.

It also leads me to hope that Pseudopod does 'Shoggoth's Old Peculiar' by Neil Gaiman at some point, though it would probably leave half it's audience going "What the hell?"  ;D

evo.shandor

• Palmer
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:28 PM
Great piece, great ride, great fun.  With plenty of inside references to keep me interested and let me know you're one of "us".

Probably the best Lovecraft-inspired story I've come across since John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness that proposes Lovecraft's monsters are real and are in contact with Stephen King...or something.  It's a twisty movie, but fun.

Back to this one, I think the whole idea of Dagonism as the motivation for terrorism against the west.  Imagine a novel of this where an Islamic assassin and his Arkham-born partner are America's last hope against the supernatural power-wielding terrorists...and their giant sea creature gods, of course.  Cloverfield meets 24.

Animite

• Extern
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 06:54:21 PM
I must agree with the masses on this one. This story was a new twist on an old story that worked. The ability to take an old tale and rearrange it to fit the current climes of the times can take some imaginative brain power, but here it is executed with panache.

I loved the descriptions of the fish/reverend. Slurping sushi, speaking in slow slurs, and causing paranormal havoc on the airflight only added to the overall creep factor.

Now if only there were some way in the real world we could convince the followers of Islam of something fundamentally more corrupt than the decadent West? 

"I write when I'm inspired, and I see to it that I'm inspired at nine o' clock every morning."

-Peter De Vries

eytanz

Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 08:07:03 PM
I didn't expect it to be lovecraftian. The twist of the trope -- which I half-expected given that the main character is of Arabic descent -- was at least somewhat interesting.

I did not like the references to Mr. Bachman and "growing up in Arkham". They made the story less interesting to me, and more clever/cutesy.

I agree regarding the Mr. Bachman mention, but - given that the word "Innsmouth" doesn't automatically register with you as Lovecraftian - I'm assuming you're taking the name "Arkham" to be a reference to Batman, and are unaware that Batman borrowed a name from Lovecraft there, and that the city of Arkham is an integral part of the Lovecraft mythos?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 11:15:04 PM

I agree regarding the Mr. Bachman mention, but - given that the word "Innsmouth" doesn't automatically register with you as Lovecraftian - I'm assuming you're taking the name "Arkham" to be a reference to Batman, and are unaware that Batman borrowed a name from Lovecraft there, and that the city of Arkham is an integral part of the Lovecraft mythos?

I didn't know that. My entire experience of Lovecraftian fiction is from Pseudopod and the occasional fantasy/horror anthology.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 11:29:05 PM

So...who was that comic book writer?  I would've guessed Grant Morrison, except he was name-checked.

taueret

• Extern
Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 04:06:52 AM
I liked this story!  Nice twists.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 05:15:00 AM
Favorite PP yet!  I want more Lovecraftian horror!!!

jalan

• Extern
Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 05:44:01 AM
This...was...fantastic

goatkeeper

Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 04:42:30 AM
I second everything Chivarlybean said.

The Esoteric Order of Dagon vs Muslim extemists?  Nothing cooler, sorry. Except maybe colossal squid vs sperm whales.

Personally I was rooting for the fish folk, but they never seem to win (in the short term at least).  They don't call 'em the 'Old Ones' for nuthin!"