Author Topic: What Happened With the Sites  (Read 11485 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: September 15, 2008, 06:01:40 AM
Okay, in more detail, here's the inside scoop on why all of the Escape Artists sites were bouncing up and down (mostly down) between Thursday night and about 5 AM this morning:

* For the last year, we've been on a VPS (virtual private server) hosting plan for our Web sites. If you don't know what this means, it's not that important; the upshot is supposed to be guaranteed resources and much more power than you get with one of the cheesy $8/month shared hosting sites like Dreamhost (i.e., where we were before that.)

* I had pre-paid for a year on that plan, which ended on September 13. For various reasons, I wasn't too happy with the place where the VPS was hosted. They had odd little technical limitations which I thought were making the server unstable, and although it was a good deal at the time, there've been better deals since then. So I decided to move over to a newer, more professional VPS provider (http://slicehost.com) and get more resources for less money.

* As a test, a couple of weeks ago I moved just the Escape Pod site over to Slicehost, leaving PodCastle, Pseudopod and the forums alone. Things went well with that. We had one or two crashes over the two weeks, which made me start to think "Huh, maybe the VPS provider isn't the problem," but it was still better than before.

* Thinking things were good, on the night of September 11 I moved PodCastle, Pseudopod and the forums over to our Slicehost server.

* All of the sites went straight to hell.

* I mean crashes every few hours, no matter what I did to free up memory and keep things smooth. I have a monitoring service that pings my cell phone when a site goes down, and the damn thing wouldn't shut up.

* So I spent too much time Friday trying to fix things. And then way too much time Saturday. It was seriously interfering with my emotional state. Worst day I've had in months. Mostly because I considered myself pretty competent at this stuff, and I felt I was being proven wrong. (Most people don't have these problems!) And if you think that's bad, try crawling server logs for PHP fatal errors and tracking the code down while a three-year-old is crawling all over you and wanting his fair share of attention.

* I did find some stuff that was killing things. Some Wordpress plugins that were broken (notably Podpress). I actually found myself fixing other people's code, wondering why it was only now screwing me up so much. But there's still something mysterious somewhere in PHP that's causing infinite hangs. It's like the dark energy in the universe that can't be detected except by its gravitational effect. Only for "gravitational effect," substitute "locking up the Web server and making Steve feel rage."

* But whatever. Having taken it as a law of the universe that PHP sucks (gravity again!), I chose to work around it. Uninstalling the rough slouching memory beast that is Apache, I installed Nginx and custom-configured a pool of PHP FastCGI processes with failover balancing. Again, if you don't know what that means, it isn't important. Think of it as, "I took apart my car's engine, looked at all the pieces on the floor, threw them all away and replaced it with a fusion reactor and some pine cones."

* This still didn't solve the crashing problems. But I installed a shiny new monitoring program which will watch for failed processes every few seconds and restart them. I also wrote some code for that program to retrieve Web pages from the site frequently and fixes things if *that* fails. Amusingly, the monitoring program is called "God."  I thought this was a very clever name. Until I tried to Google for information about it. Then I found it annoying.

* And that's where we are now. Moving to a better host with more resources has, for mysterious reasons, made our Web sites unstable. I haven't fixed it, but it's monkey-patched to keep working anyway. On the upside, response times should be faster.

* I have also come to really, really hate PHP and the PodPress plug-in. I feel so strongly about this now that I am getting ready to push up one of the projects I've had in the back of my mind -- to write a simple, but elegant, podcasting platform in Rails that'll do the things I need but won't piss me off. I'll probably need to make this a small team project or it'll never get done. If anyone wants to step forward and volunteer, feel free, but I'm not asking for that right now. (I will later.) And yeah, I know I have no time to do this. I may do it anyway. Because I am angry, and anger can sometimes drive good software development.

* And now I will sleep.

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:37:32 AM
So basically Escape Artists is a boat that has planks being ripped out all the time, but it's ok because someone's hammering in new ones about as quickly as they fail. And thank you very much for the hammering.

Are they all failing because of shared codebase (same errors in different processes) or shared processes (same errors in common processes)? Are the forums affected because of the forum software or databases or because of shrapnel from blogs exploding next to it? (I've yet to really manage/build websites, so no guarantees that these questions make sense.)

Do you still like Wordpress as a CMS? I've got to set up a website for my student newspaper soon and I'm currently deciding between that and Drupal.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:56:00 PM
damn!  and i thought i was having a bad day today... well i feel better now!  :P
hope everything turns out okay, and if i were a programming genius i would totally help, tho if you want i could go ask the computer science department here at UF

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:05:24 PM
    * As a test, a couple of weeks ago I moved just the Escape Pod site over to Slicehost, leaving PodCastle, Pseudopod and the forums alone. Things went well with that. We had one or two crashes over the two weeks, which made me start to think "Huh, maybe the VPS provider isn't the problem," but it was still better than before.

* Thinking things were good, on the night of September 11 I moved PodCastle, Pseudopod and the forums over to our Slicehost server.

* All of the sites went straight to hell.

Your timing could have been better.  I thought it was a terrist attack on our intarwebz. 

;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:21:21 PM

I thought it was a terrist attack on our intarwebz. 

Scene: a dark cave, somewhere in the middle east.  A shadowy figure gloats: "Without their Escape Pod, the entire structure of Western Civilization will come crashing down to their knees!  Bwahahahaha!"

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:17:53 AM
my god. we have to nuke the internet to stop the terrorists from destroying it!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 01:58:50 AM
my god. we have to nuke the internet to stop the terrorists from destroying it!
I see someone has been studying western philosophy.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

evo.shandor

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 02:28:46 AM
Sounds like Steve is going through what a lot of PHP developers I know go through.  A very long love affair with PHP, but when they try to push it just a little too far, it all comes crashing down.

Some turn to Java, some .NET, but most to (Ruby on) Rails.

But ulimately, they have said it comes down to scalability and load.  PHP is great for small to medium stuff, but push it too far and it just gives up the ghost. ("What about Facebook?" I ask.  "Shut up", they tell me.)

So, Steve, I guess I should say "Congratulations."  Escape Pod had grown too big and too popular for PHP.

Oh, one last thing.  I should have said: "Some turn to Java, some .NET, many to (Ruby on) Rails, but most just quit and take up basket making."  Please don't take up basket-making.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 12:06:46 PM
But the world needs more baskets...

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 02:19:53 PM
I'll make em, aint got shit else to do.

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 05:59:40 PM
I'll make em, aint got shit else to do.

You are supposed to be hunting co-eds.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 06:14:43 PM
Hey Bdoomed - basket weaving isn't really a course in university  ;)

And I agree with Mr. Nash - go visit the Student Centre or whatever, you'll have time enough for boring stuff when you are a family man like me

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 06:26:28 PM
Hey Bdoomed - basket weaving isn't really a course in university  ;)

And I agree with Mr. Nash - go visit the Student Centre or whatever, you'll have time enough for boring stuff when you are a family man like me

You have obviously never heard of the muon-based quantum baskets being worked on at several Universities. They've apparently already killed over a dozen test subj.... Freshmen.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.