Author Topic: Librarything  (Read 12405 times)

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
on: September 15, 2008, 08:53:28 PM
Anybody else on Librarything?  I'm signed up as Theta9 though I'm currently at the non-paying level which lets me only list 200 books (actually 201 for some reason.) 

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:01:57 PM
*handraise*

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:48 AM
i hadn't been there for over a year, they've improved quite a bit.

my online collection doesn't include much more than (year old) Pratchett & Palahniuk. might go back to it and try out the new features.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 02:29:20 AM
Friend requests have been sent. 

Anybody else, please sound off here or send me a request.  :)

Sandikal

• Matross
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:31:18 AM
I'm using Good Reads.  It's totally free and has many of the same features.  I've been getting some great book recommendations off it.  If anyone's an author, I recommend checking it out.  They've got a great authors' program.  I've read quite a few books that I wouldn't have known about if the authors hadn't been active members of Good Reads.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:14:06 PM
Friend requests have been sent. 

Anybody else, please sound off here or send me a request.  :)

And accepted.  Though I am a long way from having most of my books listed, I notice our current overlap only extends as far as Sandman and Snowcrashed. 

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 03:42:24 PM
Though I am a long way from having most of my books listed, I notice our current overlap only extends as far as Sandman and Snowcrashed. 

I have about a thousand books -- when I moved last year I listed my books in an Excel workbook so I could keep track of what each box contained, and there are nearly 800 entries in said workbook.  Then there's the collection of my father's books which were already boxed and therefore not catalogued (about two or three of those are actually in my LT, with the tag "dad's books" to distinguish them).  That's probably another two or three hundred.

deflective's 31 listed books don't overlap at all with mine, but I actually have about nine of them that I haven't listed yet.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 04:15:42 PM
Actually, Steph, I owe you congratulations for getting me to post in a Gallimaufry thread.  I had sworn off this area of the board several months ago, with the exception of a couple of threads that I was already participating in when I swore off.

Anyway, despite being a librarian, I'm not book obsessive, and I discard books easily.  Unless I know I'm going to reference or re-read or loan a book, I no longer keep it after reading it.  So even though I haven't counted, I think I'm well under the 1k mark for books, though probably not by much.

Sandman and Snowcrash both fall into the "you will need to loan this to someone" category.  In fact, I'm on my third or fourth copy of Snowcrash, because every time I loan it out, it does not return to me.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 04:16:29 PM
How does it differ from Shelfari?  That's what I generally use...

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 04:30:36 PM
How does it differ from Shelfari?  That's what I generally use...

http://www.librarything.com/thingology/2007/11/shelfari-spam-basically-social.php

... is all I know about Shelfari.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 06:08:02 PM
Sent! :)

Though I havent used it much in a while, I'm finding I like goodreads a bit better. I should keep it up though, I put a fair amount of work into it before I got distracted.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 06:13:45 PM
Sent! :)

Though I havent used it much in a while, I'm finding I like goodreads a bit better. I should keep it up though, I put a fair amount of work into it before I got distracted.

I've signed up to Goodreads just this morning before leaving for work; haven't had a chance to do anything else with it yet.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 01:04:23 AM
Ya'll really don't mind someone knowing every book you have?

The feds were forcing librarians to give them lists of people who had read certain books and you tell them without being forced?

It's bad enough that I'm sure Amazon yields up the list of books I have bought without me telling them on purpose.

Ya'll need a strong dose of paranoia.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 01:22:12 AM

The feds were forcing librarians to give them lists of people who had read certain books and you tell them without being forced?

It's bad enough that I'm sure Amazon yields up the list of books I have bought without me telling them on purpose.

Ya'll need a strong dose of paranoia.

If we get to the point where my owning a copy of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, or The Function of the Orgasm by Wilhelm Reich, or whatever, gets me in trouble with the government ... well, then I'm sure they'll have already apprehended me for reasons completely unrelated to the books in my collection.  So I'm not concerned on that count.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 02:15:06 AM
If we get to the point where my owning a copy of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta, or The Function of the Orgasm by Wilhelm Reich, or whatever, gets me in trouble with the government ... well, then I'm sure they'll have already apprehended me for reasons completely unrelated to the books in my collection.  So I'm not concerned on that count.

FBI checking out Americans' reading habits
Bookstores, libraries can't do much to fend off search warrants
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/06/23/MN75593.DTL

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 03:41:48 AM

FBI checking out Americans' reading habits
Bookstores, libraries can't do much to fend off search warrants
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/06/23/MN75593.DTL

... and ...?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 04:59:13 AM

That right there is the weakness in your argument.

You dont have to input ANYTHING into library thing. Its for those who WANT to share.

Got a copy of something you want to hide? by all means, don't post it. No one's making you.

However I'd love to learn who else owns and enjoys the "otherlands" series, or fellow deverry fans.

And such tools are useful for me.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 11:49:52 AM
Got a copy of something you want to hide? by all means, don't post it. No one's making you.

You think you KNOW what books or combination of books would make them identify you as a possible danger just because you have been exposed to certain ideas?

Total Information Awareness, which Congress voted down repeatedly and which the Bush department just moved to private contractors, meant to get every bit of information on everyone in the country(and probably the world) because they believe if they have that they can tell who might ever rebel against them. Like they spy on Quakers and Environmentalists and Animal Rights Advocates. Do you think you KNOW what might get you in trouble a few years down the line?

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 12:41:41 PM
Allie: The point is that this is voluntary. I fully agree that libraries and bookshops should not hand over information about what I'm reading to the government. Because that is done without my explicit permission. On the other hand, if I choose to open up a given subset of my book collection to the public, then I should be free to do so. If the government is trawling Librarything looking for people who own The Anarchist's Cookbook or Fahrenheit 451 (and I'd be surprised to learn that they're not), then they can find the people who are happy to let them know that, but not the ones who object to them even asking.

I don't have my books online anywhere, more for technical reasons than any moral objections, but my DVD library is out there for anyone to see.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 01:09:01 PM

You think you KNOW what books or combination of books would make them identify you as a possible danger just because you have been exposed to certain ideas?

Total Information Awareness, which Congress voted down repeatedly and which the Bush department just moved to private contractors, meant to get every bit of information on everyone in the country(and probably the world) because they believe if they have that they can tell who might ever rebel against them. Like they spy on Quakers and Environmentalists and Animal Rights Advocates. Do you think you KNOW what might get you in trouble a few years down the line?

I still maintain that if the situation degenerates to the point where the books I own will get me in trouble, then the government knowing what books I own will be the least of my worries.

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 02:08:01 PM
I'm all for privacy rights, but I find it quite peculiar to be worried about LibraryThing as something the government would use to "decide I'm dangerous". 

I'm much more concerned about the fact that any time I enter a government building they can check how much cash I'm carrying.  Or that stupid effing RFID they're putting in new passports (which is abhorrent both on a tracking level and on a how ridiculously easy it is to hack this thing level.  Security through insecurity, thanks a lot, Uncle Sam).  Or that they're routinely scanning my email and monitoring calls I make to foreign countries.

Do you use encryption every time you send email, Allie?  Do you ever bank online or buy anything by credit card?  Did you request your residence be obscured off google street view?  Do you wear a hat and scarf when you go to the ATM or the grocery store?  Got one of those nifty fastpass thingys that tells the government to the second whenever you've gone through a toll point?

It's not only that there's a thousand bigger, more pressing privacy concerns in today's society.  It's also that proper surveillance always first seeks information that isn't self-reported.  That's why the library records are more valuable than my lthing account.  I can report any book I feel like to lthing, whether I own it or not.  People lie.  A lot.  Anything transaction based (such as checking out a barcoded book, or buying an item on amazon) is more valuable data from a surveillance perspective than anything self-reported.  Not that pooling together information from freely available sources isn't something the government (or a stalker) won't do, but it's also a measure of last resort.  I don't completely agree with Steph's position, at least not necessarily from a societal viewpoint, but from a personal viewpoint, the second the gov't starts checking my lthing account, I'm surely already a "person of interest" and they've also already warrantlessly wiretapped me and have an unmarked van outside my house.  My forum posts to EP and my LibraryThing will be the LAST thing they'll check, and they won't need lthing at all, because they can just walk into my house and pick up the physical copy of "Farenheit 451" off the shelf while they're arresting me.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 04:43:59 PM
Anarkey is spot on.  Data mining and anonymous profiling are already out there on many levels (governmental and corporate).  It really isn't going to be your book list on LibraryThing that will tip the scales towards you being "noted".

I also want to expand on her point about pooling freely available info.  It is simply frightening what someone can know about you from reading through posts, lists and comments on web sites, and applying some deductive reasoning.  I am always wary of anyone I don't remember who seems to have alot in common with me.  The spookiest thing I ever saw online was being in gmail and seeing the ads adapt to the content of my email (including being city specific)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 04:46:19 PM
Allie: The point is that this is voluntary. I fully agree that libraries and bookshops should not hand over information about what I'm reading to the government. Because that is done without my explicit permission. On the other hand, if I choose to open up a given subset of my book collection to the public, then I should be free to do so. If the government is trawling Librarything looking for people who own The Anarchist's Cookbook or Fahrenheit 451 (and I'd be surprised to learn that they're not), then they can find the people who are happy to let them know that, but not the ones who object to them even asking.

I don't have my books online anywhere, more for technical reasons than any moral objections, but my DVD library is out there for anyone to see.

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely believe that library information should be and must remain confidential to protect privacy.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 04:48:27 PM
Sandman and Snowcrash both fall into the "you will need to loan this to someone" category.  In fact, I'm on my third or fourth copy of Snowcrash, because every time I loan it out, it does not return to me.
I'm on copy #6 of Snowcrash myself (which is currently being lent out  :))  The other books for me are "Interface" (also by Neal Stephenson, with a co-author) and the graphic novel "Watchmen"

FamilyGuy

• Matross
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 11:35:58 PM
Threadomancy Alert

Invites sent.

When will all the rhetorical questions end?