Author Topic: First you help them get around the park, then they start killing people.  (Read 6309 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
http://www.tweenbots.com/
Tweenbots are human-dependent robots that navigate the city with the help of pedestrians they encounter. Rolling at a constant speed, in a straight line, Tweenbots have a destination displayed on a flag, and rely on people they meet to read this flag and to aim them in the right direction to reach their goal. [...]
The results were unexpected. Over the course of the following months, throughout numerous missions, the Tweenbots were successful in rolling from their start point to their far-away destination assisted only by strangers. Every time the robot got caught under a park bench, ground futilely against a curb, or became trapped in a pothole, some passerby would always rescue it and send it toward its goal. Never once was a Tweenbot lost or damaged. Often, people would ignore the instructions to aim the Tweenbot in the “right” direction, if that direction meant sending the robot into a perilous situation. One man turned the robot back in the direction from which it had just come, saying out loud to the Tweenbot, "You can’t go that way, it’s toward the road.” "

I wonder if it would still work without the smiley face.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
That is super cool!!  8)  It could be in the "things that actually exist" thread.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated

The smiley face is important, I'd bet money on it. 

I like this idea..

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
I'm surprised none of them got stolen, some parent grabbing a cute little robot for their kid.

But speaking of cute little robot, I agree with MacArthurBug.  Make it a bit bigger, a little less cute, frowny face instead of smiley and you get alot less help.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
He's cute until he changes his name to Tommy Skynet. 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Yeah, or when they realize that humans really WILL go out of their way to help them.

They'll be like cats, except they don't die and have even less regard for our feelings.

"Technology: a word we use to describe something that doesn't work yet."

- Douglas Adams

http://www.thereviewpit.com
http://thesuburbsofhell.blogspot.com

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I

The smiley face is important, I'd bet money on it. 

But when I smile like that, people either back away from me or point me toward the road.

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
That's because you are not made of cardboard.  And I believe you are less block-shaped - I have no facts to back that up, just a gut feeling

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
That's because you are not made of cardboard.  And I believe you are less block-shaped - I have no facts to back that up, just a gut feeling

Also larger, as it's against the forum's Terms of Service to be a leprechaun. Too much Kokopelli in them.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit
Discrimination!
 ;)

- Douglas Adams

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I

Also larger, as it's against the forum's Terms of Service to be a leprechaun. Too much Kokopelli in them.
* Portrait in Flesh tosses a Zuni Kachina Fetish Doll at you.

That's valuable stuff, you know, if you can lure it back into its box with some mint. 

"Boys from the city.  Not yet caught by the whirlwind of Progress.  Feed soda pop to the thirsty pigs." --The Beast of Yucca Flats

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I
Discrimination!
 ;)

Surely you've heard of Leprechaun in Space.

I mean, he's HUGE.

oddpod

• Matross
thats ace!
i am mesing round whith robots on my art degre at the moment, and thats sooooo going in my sketch book :)

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Aw shoot. I just found tweenbots.com and naturally someone has already started a thread about it here.
Puts me in mind of a meatspace version of WikiClock. (except that WikiClock is sometime perverted for spam).

But speaking of cute little robot, I agree with MacArthurBug.  Make it a bit bigger, a little less cute, frowny face instead of smiley and you get alot less help
Give it a red LED count-down timer display and some regular beep sounds, and I bet it would soon be introduced to Mean Mister Bomb Disposal 'Bot.

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
But speaking of cute little robot, I agree with MacArthurBug.  Make it a bit bigger, a little less cute, frowny face instead of smiley and you get alot less help
Give it a red LED count-down timer display and some regular beep sounds, and I bet it would soon be introduced to Mean Mister Bomb Disposal 'Bot.

That's Boston. Frowny Face bot would fit in around here.

Anarquistador

• Matross
  • Servant of Fire
    • The Pit

We just don't like Adult Swim up here....

- Douglas Adams

Portrait in Flesh

• Hipparch
  • NO KILL I

We just don't like Adult Swim up here....
Too many bad memories of the Molasses Swamp?
* Portrait in Flesh hands you a Noodle.

Mod: fixed quoting
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:57:43 PM by Russell Nash »