Author Topic: Pushing Daisies  (Read 23630 times)

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 09:13:40 PM
And now Bryan Fuller is back at Heroes. Man, life just isn't fair.
Le sigh

And.. Darn it I knew pushing Daisies would break my heart.  After the first ep I remember saying "This show is brilliant, funny, sweet, and amazing. It'll never last"

Bah.  Now it'll be bought on dvd and put on the shelf I keep for failed series that I loved.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 09:32:45 PM
I just hope the writers found out in time to give the show a real ending.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 09:49:09 PM

From what I read, they did.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 09:49:41 PM

Bah.  Now it'll be bought on dvd and put on the shelf I keep for failed series that I loved.

Make room for Dollhouse. I guarantee you it doesn't last more than three weeks on Fox TV.

izzardfan

Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 09:56:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Pushing Daisies is as dead as Neds mom.  FOR SHAME.  That show ruled.  I really liked the sets they used...plus that narrator was hilarious.

The narrator is Jim Dale, who also read all of the Harry Potter books on audio.  He does a great job of giving each character an individual voice.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:11 PM

Make room for Dollhouse. I guarantee you it doesn't last more than three weeks on Fox TV.

At least it looks like they've shot/are finishing shooting the first 13, plus the pilot. So if they cancel we'll at least have as many episodes as Firefly had.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:22 PM

At least it looks like they've shot/are finishing shooting the first 13, plus the pilot. So if they cancel we'll at least have as many episodes as Firefly had.

I'm really tempted to not bother watching it. I've already had to take "Murder, Mal Wrote"* out of my lineup, even though it hasn't started yet. I just don't have the time.

* "Castle"

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 03:34:21 AM

I'm really tempted to not bother watching it. I've already had to take "Murder, Mal Wrote"* out of my lineup, even though it hasn't started yet. I just don't have the time.

* "Castle"

I'm going to watch the first few, and hope the odds are on my favor that Fox can't possibly be that sadistic twice. I mean that would just be inconceivable.

Right?

Guys?

[in a small voice] Hello? [/in a small voice]

eytanz

Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 10:58:20 AM

From what I read, they did.

From what I read, they didn't - Bryan Fuller explicitly stated the show ends on a cliffhanger.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 05:21:08 PM
if nothing else, the storyline will be wrapped up in a comic

this industry can't move onto the internet fast enough; away from the big studios to where individual viewers & donations will drive a series' survival.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:23:49 PM by deflective »

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 06:43:53 PM
if nothing else, the storyline will be wrapped up in a comic

this industry can't move onto the internet fast enough; away from the big studios to where individual viewers & donations will drive a series' survival.

I prefer comics to nothing, but I've never been completely satisfied by the translation — I miss the actors.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 07:41:31 PM
From what I've heard, there's a reason people have heard conflicting things.  Apparently they did some re-editing so that the final episode itself won't end on a cliffhanger after all, but that the big storylines that have been running (assumably things like Chuck's father, Emerson's daughter, and so on,) will all be left dangling.

I've also read Bryan Fuller say that he'd like to wrap those danglers up in a comic while pursuing a movie, so that this theoretical movie could be a fresh start attempt to gather in new viewers, rather than being bogged down in past continuity.

Haven't heard even a WISH for a movie in the last couple of interviews, though, so he may have given up on that idea.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:05 PM
Haven't heard even a WISH for a movie in the last couple of interviews, though, so he may have given up on that idea.

I'm gonna guess a lot of the movie hopes depend on DVD sales. Who knows? I never would've thought it possible, but it looks like a Veronica Mars movie might actually happen, so it's possible.

Praxis

Reply #38 on: February 21, 2009, 02:03:17 PM
The narrator is Jim Dale, who also read all of the Harry Potter books on audio.

*cough* Stephen Fry *cough*

izzardfan

Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 05:15:01 PM

Yes, Stephen Fry did HP audiobooks as well--for the United Kingdom versions--and though some reviews mention he does give the characters personalities, the excerpts I've heard weren't nearly as interestingly done.  Jim Dale does the U.S. versions and talks about that on his web site.  And Jim is the narrator for Pushing Daisies.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:16:58 PM by izzardfan »

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 05:55:06 AM

Yes, Stephen Fry did HP audiobooks as well--for the United Kingdom versions--and though some reviews mention he does give the characters personalities, the excerpts I've heard weren't nearly as interestingly done.  Jim Dale does the U.S. versions and talks about that on his web site

Overall I like Dale's readings over Fry's ... but Fry does Snape much, much better.  The quietly understated sarcasm of Fry's reading beats Dale's sneering melodrama villain any day.  You can almost hear the moustache-twirling when Dale reads Snape's lines.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 10:20:51 PM
And it looks like the unaired final episodes will be out on the DVDs in July.

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 06:19:39 PM
ABC will air the last 3 Pushing Daisies episodes this Saturday...What?  For Reals?  For Reals.

Check DISSSSSS

http://abc.go.com/primetime/pushingdaisies/index?pn=index

Mod: Moved from Dollhouse discussion.  Don't know what the hell it was doing over there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:55:44 PM by Russell Nash »

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 08:16:50 PM
Hehee. Been listening to Drabblecast? :P (RE: "Check DISSSS")

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #44 on: May 28, 2009, 08:24:28 PM
Oh man, I loves me some Drabblecast...I listened to about 1.5 years of backlog while painting my house...now I can't paint w/out thinking of it...so I've pretty much been scarred for life.

Also, I put my post in dollhouse cuz I was too lazy to find the for reals Pushing Daisies thread and they mentioned this show in that thread...duh...that's how I roll  :)

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #45 on: June 08, 2009, 11:14:25 PM
Anyone watching the last two pushing daisies?  MAN, how are they gonna wrap this up?  Any guesses?

eytanz

Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 11:32:55 PM
Anyone watching the last two pushing daisies?  MAN, how are they gonna wrap this up?  Any guesses?

I haven't seen the last few episodes yet (waiting for my girlfriend to catch up), but I'm pretty sure that they said they will not be wrapping up all the plot threads.

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 11:44:34 AM
They did their best to add some closure in postproduction, but as you can imagine, that's hard to do when the episode has already been filmed.

What steams me is that Bryan Fuller apparently asked if he needed to turn the 13th ep into a series finale, and was told no.  So if the producers hadn't dithered so long, we might have had some semblance of closure (although I doubt all the balls in play could have been wrapped up in a single hour.)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 06:13:13 PM
Wasn't Fuller a producer? Do you mean TV execs?

davedoty

• Peltast
Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 10:45:19 PM
Yes, the network execs.  Brain issue there.