Author Topic: Steve's Interview on the BBC  (Read 5851 times)

captainsparky

on: November 11, 2008, 11:54:21 AM
Steve,

Just heard your interview on the BBC's Pods and Blogs program.  I thought you came across very well and I hope it brings some new members to Escapepod et al.

For those who missed it, the Pods and Blogs website is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/podsandblogs/
The episode text wasn't up there when I checked, but it was in the Feed details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/pods/

You can download it here:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/pods/pods_20081111-0348a.mp3

They also interviewed J.C. Hutchins of 7th Son fame, who also did a good job of spreading the word about podcast fiction.

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:16:01 PM
Steve did a great job representing "the Escapepod".

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:25:56 AM
Just heard your interview on the BBC's Pods and Blogs program.  I thought you came across very well and I hope it brings some new members to Escapepod et al.

Hey, cool!  This was my first notice that the episode was up.  Thanks for the pointer to it!

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:02:54 PM
Very cool interview :)

The whole show is cool! I'll have to listen in to that one more often.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:46:48 AM
Maybe I was doing it wrong but I couldn't get to the podcast. It was like one of those you can only download briefly then after that you have to go and pay and, even worse, leave a trail in order to listen to. Just so everything you encounter can be easily tracked.

When I tried to follow this link (http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/pods/pods_20081111-0348a.mp3) all I got was a 1k file. All I managed to download was the current podcast which wasn't interesting.

I don't know why I am so bitter about having to pay for podcasts. I have paid for some but it was all voluntary, more a donation than a fee.

Maybe I am spoiled but I hate iTunes etc. Podcasts on iTunes are supposed to be free and STILL you have to download their spyware and leave a trail. Screw them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 12:53:54 AM by alllie »

eytanz

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:41 AM
I don't know if this will make you happy or annoyed, but you aren't expected to pay for the podcast. Instead, like every BBC offering, it's available for one week and then is no longer available. Period. No way to get it, paid or free.

alllie

• Matross
    • alllieblog
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:00:10 AM
I don't know if this will make you happy or annoyed, but you aren't expected to pay for the podcast. Instead, like every BBC offering, it's available for one week and then is no longer available. Period. No way to get it, paid or free.

Considering they aren't ad supported (right?) that makes no sense.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 06:34:38 AM

They're supported by a mandatory yearly tax on all televisions in Britain capable of receiving their signal. Not sure how it works for radio.

The Brits should be waking up around now though, so I'll leave it to them to fill in the details.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:10:36 AM

It makes tons of sense.  I can't even take a guess at what the BBCs bandwidth fees most be.  By making things only available for a week, they probably cut those fees by 50%.

eytanz

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:19:47 AM

It makes tons of sense.  I can't even take a guess at what the BBCs bandwidth fees most be.  By making things only available for a week, they probably cut those fees by 50%.

Exactly. It's all nice and good to want to get "free" podcasts indefinitely, but what you need to take into consideration is that if you aren't paying for it, the person giving it to you is.

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 12:46:05 PM

They're supported by a mandatory yearly tax on all televisions in Britain capable of receiving their signal. Not sure how it works for radio.

The Brits should be waking up around now though, so I'll leave it to them to fill in the details.
BBC Radio is also paid for by the TV licence. The only things it doesn't cover are those ventures that are supposed to be self-supporting (DVD sales, merchandising, BBC America, that kind of thing).

The licence fee isn't technically a tax, but the difference is slim enough that it doesn't make much difference.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

Raving_Lunatic

• Radiohead Addict (please, do not encourage this)
  • Lochage
  • Red Blue Green
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 04:46:22 PM
Not a mandatory tax, but I don't own a TV and they have literally searched my house and trawled through my computer to make sure I'm not watching a live stream. Many times they have assumed that I own a set even though I should be on the other register, which is quite annoying to say the least.

arcticwolfe

• Extern
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 09:49:27 PM
Is the episode text posted anywhere on the BBC website?