Author Topic: PC034: Clad In Gossamer  (Read 22131 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: November 19, 2008, 07:14:16 AM
PC034: Clad In Gossamer

By Nancy Kress
Read by Paul S. Jenkins (of the Rev Up Review and The Fix Online)

“Tell me again,” I said.

The shorter, older one said smoothly, “Garments in subtle colors like shaded sky, Your Highness. As finely spun and light to wear as spiderwebs. Yet warm, impervious to water, and impenetrable by stinging insects.”

I nodded eagerly, as if I believed this nonsense. “And the magic…”

“Ah, the magic. Tell him again, Sorrel.”

Rated R. for nudity. Contains fashion, or lack thereof.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:11:28 PM

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:30:19 PM
Rated R. for nudity.
ummm ...  ???
There's language which makes it definitely not ok for the immature, apart from the upright content of one of the scenes.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Zathras

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:32:05 PM
Wonderful twist on a classic tale.  It held most of my attention, while part of it raced ahead, unwilling to wait for the final confrontation.

What a clever twist upon a twist.  The confusion Jasper endured was amazing.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:43:11 AM
Rated R. for nudity.
ummm ...  ???
There's language which makes it definitely not ok for the immature, apart from the upright content of one of the scenes.

I was questioning the advisement of "nudity" in a text/spoken word story.  "Mature themes" or "sexual content" sure, but "nudity"?

RKG

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 01:02:12 AM
Rated R. for nudity.
ummm ...  ???
I was questioning the advisement of "nudity" in a text/spoken word story.  "Mature themes" or "sexual content" sure, but "nudity"?

Dang, and here I was thinking you were being all clever and questioning whether he was actually nude.

Another good story, BTW.  I have really enjoyed the Nancy Kress stories on Escape Pod (especially Ej-Es: http://escapepod.org/2007/07/26/ep116-ej-es/).

rkg  101010

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 02:25:25 AM

Dang, and here I was thinking you were being all clever and questioning whether he was actually nude.

No, I hadn't listened to the story when I made that first post. 

Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm clever.

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 04:09:02 PM
A+

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:46:35 PM
I love this type of tale, and thought this was well done. The ending was particularly brilliant, with all that uncertainty, that not knowing, eating away at the protagonist. The way it was written made it so easy to get inside his head. I knew exactly what he must have been feeling at the end.. that gnawing uncertainty, the worry. That gut twisting feeling. I dont recall if it was stated so in the story, but I imagine he broke a bit of a sweat. I would.

Zathras

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 08:49:27 PM
I love this type of tale, and thought this was well done. The ending was particularly brilliant, with all that uncertainty, that not knowing, eating away at the protagonist. The way it was written made it so easy to get inside his head. I knew exactly what he must have been feeling at the end.. that gnawing uncertainty, the worry. That gut twisting feeling. I dont recall if it was stated so in the story, but I imagine he broke a bit of a sweat. I would.

he *ahem* wilted

CoachPaul

• Extern
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:07:09 PM
I kept waiting to hear Santino in the background saying, "Andre, where's Andre?"

eytanz

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 09:20:51 PM
Wonderful twist on a classic tale.  It held most of my attention, while part of it raced ahead, unwilling to wait for the final confrontation.

What a clever twist upon a twist.  The confusion Jasper endured was amazing.

I agree entirely. Great story, building on a tale we all know but taking it in a new direction, and a pitch-perfect conclusion.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:27:25 PM
I adored the uncertain ending.  The "twist" the the more well known story is vary acceptable IMHO.  I love "classic tale" twists and clever retellings.  I was nursed quite litereally on nursery rhymes and fairy tales.  As an adult I've re-discoveredm my favorite stories and am truly loving it.  Twists and re-tellings add the spice to the "happily ever after" in a way that is refreshing and also quite honest to these stories much darker and dirtier roots. 

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Hatton

• Peltast
    • Front Porch Political Talk
Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 08:54:36 PM
Excellent story, though I'd have to challenge Twain's statement at the closing ("Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.") in today's world .  Ask anyone in marketing and you'll know that sex sells.

Normal is just a setting on the washing machine.

eytanz

Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 09:18:10 PM
Excellent story, though I'd have to challenge Twain's statement at the closing ("Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.") in today's world .  Ask anyone in marketing and you'll know that sex sells.

It's normally not the naked people that are calling the shots, though. It's the people behind the camera who have the influence.

deflective

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 10:40:00 PM

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 11:20:38 AM
Reading was fine.

I expected more of a twist -- Jasper would give the clothes to Florian, for example -- but in the end the clothes would be real to everyone except Jasper. And maybe they were. I just think the reader could have used more definitive proof. I wouldn't have minded the ending either way -- the clothes being real, or the clothes not being real -- but I just wanted to KNOW.

Far too much attention, I feel, was given to the princess's breasts. I think her exotic nature could've been handled without those details. The same with Jasper's wang. I mean, yeah, I think that would definitely weigh heavily on the mind of a naked man in clothed company, but again I think it was done a bit clumsily.

Liked it some, but didn't love it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

wintermute

• Hipparch
  • What Would Batman Do?
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 01:45:07 AM
I wouldn't have minded the ending either way -- the clothes being real, or the clothes not being real -- but I just wanted to KNOW.
I thought not knowing was a good way to go, myself.

Science means that not all dreams can come true

LadyIndigo

• Palmer
Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 10:11:23 PM
I wouldn't have minded the ending either way -- the clothes being real, or the clothes not being real -- but I just wanted to KNOW.
I thought not knowing was a good way to go, myself.

I thought it sort of was the point, yes?  The idea that the prince, who I think I liked more than I should have, essentially is destroying himself believing everyone is as wrapped up in secrets and lies as he is.  You never really CAN know, in a world like that. 

I guessed the twist but was kept on edge anyway, because the story made me unsure enough as to whether it was going in that direction, and the payoff was still excellent.  I liked the subtle racism and sexism on the prince's part - unsettling until you realize it purely IS through his eyes, as are most of the -isms we carry, and it damages him as anything else in the failed plot.

Not sure if I like the boy from the original tale putting in an appearance.  It broke the flow of the scene, somewhat, like it was there because it had to be, but it also lent the interpretation that maybe the crown prince caught on from that, wasn't an idiot, and beat his brother at his own game.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 04:45:08 PM
I loved the ambiguity of the ending, even though I predicted pretty much how it would end from early on.  But that didn't bother me, which I think is the mark of a good story. 

Retold fairy tales turns out to be one of my favorite sub-genres.  Tanith Lee published a collection of short stories some years back called Red as Blood with many stories of this type in it, and in spite of the fact that I haven't read it in years, this story stirred memories of it and it's now on my bedside table, awaiting a new perusal.

If my vote counts for anything, I vote for more of this type of story. :)  (And more of other types, as well, of course. But this is all about me. :) )

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 03:02:46 AM
I didn't get ambiguity from this story.  I thought the reactions of the other people when he first stepped out "wearing" the "clothes" made it pretty obvious that he was bare-ass naked.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 04:08:32 AM
I _love_ Red as Blood.

stePH

• Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 05:01:44 AM
Retold fairy tales turns out to be one of my favorite sub-genres.  Tanith Lee published a collection of short stories some years back called Red as Blood with many stories of this type in it,... )

I have a copy of that, as-yet unread.  Just giving it a cursory glance though, it appears to be (or at least, appears to purport to be) a collection of older, closer-to-the-original, less-softened-up-for-the-kiddies versions of the fairy tales (like the versions of "Little Red Riding Hood" in the anime Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade or in the "Doll's House" arc of Gaiman's Sandman comic series were.)  Is this the case, or did Lee actually take original liberties with the stories?  (currently the only Tanith Lee I've read is Electric Forest, which I liked.)

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 05:27:50 AM
It's been a while since I read the Lee (I think I was in high school), but IMO the best fairy tale retellings are the ones that interact with the embedded sociocultural resonances of the text by playing with the symbols in the story. If I recall correctly, there's a good Beauty & the Beast retelling in that book.

eytanz

Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 11:06:42 AM
I didn't get ambiguity from this story.  I thought the reactions of the other people when he first stepped out "wearing" the "clothes" made it pretty obvious that he was bare-ass naked.

In the end, he thinks that maybe the reaction hadn't been because he was naked, but because he was commiting the (rather grave) faux-pas of being more richly dressed than his brother.