Author Topic: SF/F Podcast Recommendations?  (Read 63792 times)

Clutron

• Palmer
Reply #50 on: August 31, 2010, 10:37:58 PM
I'll add some more to the list:

Tor.com has two podcasts: Audio Fiction, hosted by Mur Lafferty, and The Geek's Guide to the Galaxy, hosted by John Joseph Adams & David Barr Kirtley.  I especially like Geek's Guide.  It is a lot of fun.

Is Mur's Tor.com podcast still releasing stories?  I haven't seen one in quite a while...I've been listening to tor.com/category/tordotstories...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 10:58:47 PM
Unfortunately, no.

Mur talked a little about it in this thread.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 11:40:02 PM
Yes, I thought Geek's Guide to the Galaxy with John Joseph Adams and David Barr Kirtley was going to die too, but this recent tweet makes me happy.

Attention Geek's Guide fans! We'll be ending our regrettable hiatus and relaunching the show soon. Stay tuned for details!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

rjfromva

• Extern
Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:02 AM
Two podcasts that are definitely worth checking out are Beneath Ceaseless Skies and Clarkesworld!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:32 PM
I've been very, very impressed by the Lightspeed podcast (what I've heard).

icegirl

• Palmer
Reply #55 on: October 22, 2010, 10:53:57 PM
A friendly suggestion from Podiobooks - try the Shadowmagic books. The first one is now out in print as well and the second one is still being released.

I found Seigler and JC Hutchins a bit too breathless in their delivery for late night listening, but I enjoyed them for car trips.

The Levantian Chronicles are also pretty good, but unfortunately since they are more of a audio series rather than novel, they kind of leave you hanging at the end of the first season (not quite a who-shot-JR moment, but many threads are left hanging for next season).

Daughters of the Sun (also on Podiobooks) is worth a listen, but it is also in strongly in need of a sequel.

Chasing the Bard by Phillipa Ballantyne is really worth a listen. I enjoyed both her writing and her narration.

I really liked the Crown Conspiracy - recently released with Nathan Lowell as narrator. This is part of a larger series and the next book is to be released later this year (according to something I read somewhere....)

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:18 AM
Can someone recommend a good science fiction news podcast?
I have been listening the Slice of Scifi, but the amount of fake laughter in that podcast is REALLY, REALLY getting on my nerves.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #57 on: March 09, 2011, 01:31:31 PM
Can someone recommend a good science fiction news podcast?
I have been listening the Slice of Scifi, but the amount of fake laughter in that podcast is REALLY, REALLY getting on my nerves.

I like Sci Fi Dig, which is almost more of an opinion show, but Aaron Macom is an engaging host. I also just started listening to Completely Comics, which is obviously more comics oriented but they do touch on current TV and some film stuff. Both are laugh-track free, Sci Fi Dig has trivia questions and lists new DVD releases, Completely Comics was tied to The Cape for a few episodes. They both tend to run long, Sci Fi Dig is often 1-2 hours long, and Completely Comics hits the hour mark every now and then too.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #58 on: May 18, 2011, 08:32:26 PM
just found this
is REALY good!

http://edictzero.wordpress.com/

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #59 on: September 04, 2011, 12:28:21 PM
an one know of a good young adult sifi/fantasy podcast?

http://www.castofwonders.org/

brand new :)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 07:02:05 PM
Aside from some random mentions, I haven't seen much pimping here for the H. P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast. I'd have to say it's pretty darn good. Largely, this is a discussion of Lovecraft's work peppered with readings of relevant passages. They also raise money to cover their costs through holding ransoms for well produced readings of Lovecraft's stories. This past month they just released a reading of Call of Cthulhu. There are the occasional intellectual stoner-buddy sidetrack discussions, but it's all done with a distinct love of the material. If you're interested in Lovecraft or the mythos that he helped create, this is worth your time to check out. There's several years worth of catalog, which is helping to fill the void as I have finished all of PseudoPod's catalog.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #61 on: December 30, 2016, 05:42:59 PM
The Kurt Vonneguys podcast is excellent. Alex Smith and Michael Swaim from www.cracked.com and lifelong Vonnegut enthusiasts exhaustively discuss his books in publication order. Fan-tastic stuff.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html